Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog trainers

• 14-02-2012 10:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭

Hi guys
    having some problems with my 3 yr old golden lab getting agressive towards strangers lately hav tried all i can think of but im at a loss so i want to try cut it out before it gets to a point of no return can anybody reccomend a trainer in offaly/ north tipp or any tips on something i can try while im looking

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Hi there, I will PM you - not sure if this particular trainer would travel that far but if he cant he can recommend someone who could!

Can you expand on the issues?
    Hi guys
    having some problems with my 3 yr old golden lab getting agressive towards strangers lately hav tried all i can think of but im at a loss so i want to try cut it out before it gets to a point of no return can anybody reccomend a trainer in offaly/ north tipp or any tips on something i can try while im looking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭cmbutterfly45

marley123 wrote: »
    Hi there, I will PM you - not sure if this particular trainer would travel that far but if he cant he can recommend someone who could!

Can you expand on the issues?
    Hi guys

Thanks for that would b great!
    She is getting aggressive towards people around where we live in particular men?? When she sees them she growls and barks even tho they are being friendly she is not as aggresive with women altho she is still a little weary it only happens when she is on her lead when off she dosnt give a hoot who is around she will just ignore them but when on her walk she ignores people too but has gotten aggressive with other dogs? Its gotten to point where i hav to hav someone come with me when i walk her and im afraid having her around the area we live bcos she could b fine or could get aggressive i just never know.....sorry for long post hope i explained it so it makes sense

What is her background? has it always been an issue that is now getting worse?

Have you tried distraction, squeeky toy, treats for good behaviour etc.. on the walk.?

Thanks for that would b great!
    She is getting aggressive towards people around where we live in particular men?? When she sees them she growls and barks even tho they are being friendly she is not as aggresive with women altho she is still a little weary it only happens when she is on her lead when off she dosnt give a hoot who is around she will just ignore them but when on her walk she ignores people too but has gotten aggressive with other dogs? Its gotten to point where i hav to hav someone come with me when i walk her and im afraid having her around the area we live bcos she could b fine or could get aggressive i just never know.....sorry for long post hope i explained it so it makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Hi, sorry to join in here but I too am having difficulty finding a dog behaviourist I also am in Offaly? :o

More the merrier here:-) just as an example my uncle was just here she is in her run i thought she was going to break thru the side of it but now there is a female neighbour here she is quiet as a mouse? She has only started being like this in last six/seven months hav taken her to vet about it and there is nothing physical causing it
    also i hav tried all the treats and distraction she will b good as gold from when she sees treat until she gets it then its growls and barking again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

My male 3yr old GSD is extremely jealous of anyone coming near me.

In particular he attacks my eldest son when ever he comes close to me. The problem is getting worse as time goes on. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭gud4u

OP, Is there anything you can think of thet changed in your house when the behaviour started. Did someone move out, was there any upset that may have made the dog see you in a different light. Does he think you need protecting for some reason.

IrishHomer wrote: »
    My male 3yr old GSD is extremely jealous of anyone coming near me.

In particular he attacks my eldest son when ever he comes close to me. The problem is getting worse as time goes on. :(

:eek::eek::eek: That;s serious, comman with some gsds tho, I've had the exact same experience with one. Sorry to tell you it didn't end well. I had him assessed. I also got onto the person I got him from untill he finally told me the dogs history. It all added up then:rolleyes:

Did you have him from a pup. Do you know his history. Like I said to OP, can you put a finger on anything change, however small that might have caused a change in behaviour.

I say this because the gsd we had trouble with changed after we got a large flat screen tv,(tho he was bad before it too) it took us a few days to work it out........

No nothing changed as i said we went to vet so we noticed early the only thing we could think was that we were in a house with the garden gate out to a path and possibly someone threw something at her from over the gate? We hav since moved so theres no dangers like that anymore but still need behaviour changed

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Boogiewoogie

Hi posters

The best thing you can do is look on the www.APDT.ie website for a qualified behaviourist. A behaviourist is what you both need and not a trainer. I'm sure there is a very good behaviourist in Laois but many will travel to a client. Both of these problems can be related to normal developmental phases. Unfortunately they are often left to escalate until becoming unmanageable by the owner. Please have a look on the website asap so that you can pick somebody with qualifications and experience to help you and your dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭gud4u

Hi posters

The best thing you can do is look on the www.APDT.ie website for a qualified behaviourist. A behaviourist is what you both need and not a trainer. I'm sure there is a very good behaviourist in Laois but many will travel to a client. Both of these problems can be related to normal developmental phases. Unfortunately they are often left to escalate until becoming unmanageable by the owner. Please have a look on the website asap so that you can pick somebody with qualifications and experience to help you and your dogs.

Would definately think that's what happened me. A combination of my inexperience, both buying and training the dog. And, leaving it too late to have the dog assessed. I have seen small traits in my current gsd, he's 21months and I have addressed some small issues to stop them becoming a problem.

Good Luck, i'm sure you'll be able to help your dogs too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

There is an excellent behaviourist in Laois - near Portlaoise. I have seen him in action and he really knows his stuff! Plus he genuinely loves and engages with dogs.
    If you're not sorted out send me a PM and I will send you his details. I have no idea how far he travels or anything or even what he charges - but he's worth every cent from what I've seen and heard.

Shazanne wrote: »
    There is an excellent behaviourist in Laois - near Portlaoise. I have seen him in action and he really knows his stuff! Plus he genuinely loves and engages with dogs.
    If you're not sorted out send me a PM and I will send you his details. I have no idea how far he travels or anything or even what he charges - but he's worth every cent from what I've seen and heard.

Would b great if u could pm me with details marley123 has also reccomended someone could b same guy im gona giv a call tomorro but would like to hav options thanks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

www.happierhoundsdogtraining.com are based in Laois and cover chunks of Offaly, this girl's name is Alison and she's fab.
    Alternatively, for people living in the bits of eastern Offaly which aren't too far from her base in Wicklow, there is Emmaline of www.citizencanineireland.com

Both ladies are some of the few in the country who are properly qualified, extensively experienced, and travel to your home... which in many cases is important.
    Good luck with your dogs all those who need help, you're absolutely right to intervene now, because the longer these things go on, the harder they are to deal with successfully.
    Best of luck!:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

http://www.shepherdscottagedogtraining.com

Based in Nenagh, very nice people and excellent training! Have been going here last 2 yrs and reached a very high standard with my female :)

Brian Rosney???:)
    Would b great if u could pm me with details marley123 has also reccomended someone could b same guy im gona giv a call tomorro but would like to hav options thanks

marley123 wrote: »
    Brian Rosney???:)

Thats the one will b onto him later u know someone id good when u get recomendations from so many people but if it dosnt work with him ive been given lots of other options thanks

Had him here yesterday! Did wonders in the space of couple hours.
    Thats the one will b onto him later u know someone id good when u get recomendations from so many people but if it dosnt work with him ive been given lots of other options thanks

Advertisement