Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurants

Options
  • 14-02-2012 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

I've been to Viewmount and to Aubergine (not sure if that's still open) any other suggestions for a nice restaurant in Longford town?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭davehey79

The Black Olive is really nice or the Rugby Club restaurant the Sin Bin i think its called

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭garfieldsghost

+1 for the Rugby Club.

If you like Indian food, Nayab on Dublin Street is also very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭baldbear

Yeah the Black Olive does nice grub. Can any ordinary Joe soap stroll into the rugby club restaurant? I'v never heard of it!!

The last time i was in the Aubergine the steak sandwich only came with half a slice a bread, cutbacks maybe! Good hearty food though.

I must give that Indian a shout mmmmmmm Indian,drool....:p

I was at Viewmount once and really enjoyed it. Top grub, great Sunday dinner. €29.00 for 3 course with tea/coffee.

Jaysus i'm starving now.

baldbear wrote: »
    ...Can any ordinary Joe soap stroll into the rugby club restaurant? I'v never heard of it!!

Yep, it's open to everyone although it may be best to book most times apart from Sunday lunch. It's run by the people who used to have the Brandywell in Dromod.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Knit wit

Spice India is nice too ... At the end of main street is worth a look even though it tends to be quiet ... The Chinese gourmet is pretty good too. Nyom Nyom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭JonnyF

forgot about Nayab have been there and it's great alright. very friendly in there too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

Rugby club is very good - lovely food at a decent price. Kellehers on Main St is also very good, had excellent Sunday lunch there last week!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I like the Black Olive, always enjoy their steak and chips covered in pepper sauce mmmmmm. One tiny fault they can be slow but if the food is good i don't mind really.

Going to Viewmount tomorrow night, was there last October it was nice. They don't do chips though and is expensive there but worth it. If you want to get seated for a Saturday night it's advisable to book a few days in advance. I rang today and was lucky to get in for tomorrow night, very busy.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Going to Viewmount tomorrow night... They don't do chips though...

Ha, I'd say you'd be asked to leave if you asked for chips! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭UrbanMonkey

The Rugby Club restaurant (Sin Bin) is very nice. The owners used to own The Brandywell restaurant in Dromod, but that has since closed down.
    Douglas and Kaldi is also really nice. That's just above Spar on Main Street.

I know Cool Beans isn't a restaurant but their new place on Main Street is really nice! Undoubtedly the best brunch spot in Town.

Can't believe I forgot about 'Moma' on Lower Main Street. It's always packed and I've heard nothing but good things about it!

• Advertisement

Also, Purple Onion in Tarmonbarry is lovely too! well worth a visit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

MDFM wrote: »
    Also, Purple Onion in Tarmonbarry is lovely too! well worth a visit!

Its very small and cramped though. Keenans would be my preferance though even though that can be mobbed too..

Yeah Keenan's is way better than The Purple Onion! :D

My only gripe with both of them is the Draught is pure muck allthough Costellos have a good pint to wash it down....:D

not for food it aint! defo not a fan of keenans not after my last visit there, shame really, used to love their food :(

not for food it aint! defo not a fan of keenans not after my last visit there, shame really, used to love their food :(

Ah I'd completely disagree mate.. I don't think you can beat that beer garden looking over the Shannon on a nice summers day :cool: And the lovely family dog strolling around.. just gives it that homely feel.

Keenan's is OK, but the swarms of screaming kids around the place on a Sunday can be off-putting.

Also, any time I eat there I'm usually with some vegetarians and they're unimpressed by the fact that the only veggie option on the menu hasn't changed for the best part of a decade! Enquiries about changing it have always been met with blank stares and general disinterest.

Anyway... I much prefer the food from The Purple Onion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 PureCosmic

There is also Moma in town. Nice addition to the very few restaurants in Longford. Nice Italian food, reasonably priced and lovely staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

PureCosmic wrote: »
    There is also Moma in town. Nice addition to the very few restaurants in Longford. Nice Italian food, reasonably priced and lovely staff.

Is Moma linked to the Moma in Roscommon ? Been there a few times and liked it a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭_Lady_

Hi all - just one to throw in here - I know you're all talking abtou Longford town - but if you're ever in the mood for a drive, I've never once had a bad meal in the Rustic Inn out in Abbeyshrule. Sunday lunches are gorgeous - and great value and you can take a walk by the canal afterwards to lose the food baby if needs be!!! ;)

• Advertisement

I was in the Sin Bin over the weekend and it was top class..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

Moma is nice but unbelievably slow. Purple Onion a gem and the Chinese Gourmet back to its best again.

le la rat wrote: »
    Moma is nice but unbelievably slow. Purple Onion a gem and the Chinese Gourmet back to its best again.

Moma was nice & good for a takeaway - its being closed though nearly a month, or at least from the beginning of the month with no sign of it to re-open either from what I hear :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 PureCosmic

Moma was nice & good for a takeaway - its being closed though nearly a month, or at least from the beginning of the month with no sign of it to re-open either from what I hear :(

True :( We tried to go there on the 13th and to our surprise it was closed!

But, the Black Olive in town is fantastic, I hear they got a special award in the Irish Restaurant Awards this year. Great service too :)

PureCosmic wrote: »
    True :( We tried to go there on the 13th and to our surprise it was closed!

Jeez, that didn't last long! The jinx on businesses that open at that end of town continues...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

Opps apologies rip Moma

• Registered Users Posts: 17 GAACL

purple onion / keenans....controversial....they're not in longford town or county, they are actually in co. roscommon.....but both restaurants are great and very near longford town

GAACL wrote: »
    purple onion / keenans....controversial....they're not in longford town or county, they are actually in co. roscommon.....but both restaurants are great and very near longford town

Hardly an issue but they are on the Longford/Roscommon border, with Longford pre-fix phone numbers!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 GAACL

Hardly an issue but they are on the Longford/Roscommon border, with Longford pre-fix phone numbers!

LOL I knew somone would take umbrage!! ;)

• Advertisement

GAACL wrote: »
    LOL I knew somone would take umbrage!! ;)

:D

Advertisement