Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to complain about advertising a course??

Options
  • 14-02-2012 11:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi all,

I want o make a complaint about a make-up training school who provide 'degree' course that are only 2 months long.
    I naively did one after being promised I would learn enough to be a proper make-up artist, but I was fed so many lies.
    After finishing I can't get a job and ppl are laughing at my qualification.
    I paid 3500 which i could not afford at the time

Where would I complain about this? is it consumer rights under advertising or is there an education board as this is really annoying me.

I hope you can help...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

wow. Any chance you could go in to a bit more detail?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

2 months long and you thought it was degree?

My guess is the 2 months part represents a module of a much larger degree course.

More details would help, what was the type of qualification they told you you'd get etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Cabaal wrote: »
    2 months long and you thought it was degree?

My guess is the 2 months part represents a module of a much larger degree course.

More details would help, what was the type of qualification they told you you'd get etc.

From the users post history they did the modules here http://www.lamakeupacademy.com/courses.php and this one in particular http://www.lamakeupacademy.com/c-d-Become-a-professional-make-up-artist.php

8 weeks €3500 for a LA Make-Up degree. I don't know much about the company but I would not hand over any money that offered a degree in 8 weeks.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

McLoughlin wrote: »
    From the users post history they did the modules here http://www.lamakeupacademy.com/courses.php and this one in particular http://www.lamakeupacademy.com/c-d-Become-a-professional-make-up-artist.php

8 weeks €3500 for a LA Make-Up degree. I don't know much about the company but I would not hand over any money that offered a degree in 8 weeks.

Template website, spelling mistakes, typo's...hmmm, its all very well and good giving somebody a "Company Name" Degree but its pretty meaningless.

Not sure what the op could do here but may be a case of buyer beware, they company gave them a "Company Name" Degree so I don't see what recourse they may have

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Jennypops

Hi OP,

Sorry to hear of the experience you had, I know first hand how hard it is deciding on which courses to do in beauty. Every college promises a lot but it really is up to the student to educate themselves on the industry they want to enter and to know beforehand what qualifications are the best to get for their chosen field.
    With make up artistry its down to individual talent, colleges can teach skills and educate technique but I would feel that you need to build on what you have done already. What course did you do and what was the qualification/certificate you received? Have you got a portfolio of your work done..there are jobs out there for skilled make up artists and LA Make up Academy does have a good name in the industry so I wouldnt be too down about it all yet. Where have you applied for jobs and what has the feedback been?
    Just because you do a course does not necessarily mean you will walk into a job, its a lifelong learning skill that you need to build on and get to the level of professional make up artist..you have a qualification from a college so its up to you to find out what you need to do to become employable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Jennypops

Also, just to add that La Make up Academy have not mis sold you something if the course listed above is the one you actually did..it is very clear on that what you end up with after the course and whats covered on the course.
    Make up courses are expensive but that one seems to show that you get work on a shoot, work experience and a portfolio on disc as well as the education aspect.

I appreciate your frustration, but in my opinion its not down to the college, you chose your course, they are clear in what they offer and realistically the onus is on you to know your industry and make the right decisions for the path you want to pursue.

I would be interested in the jobs you have applied for and what exactly the feedback is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I would get in contact with both HETAC and the National Qualifications Authority of Ireland in relation to this.
    There are most likely criteria for the use of the term "degree" in a course title, which your course may not have met.
    If this is the case, and you can get something in writing to this effect, you would have a case against them for mis-selling the course to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Auction in Action

Have you learned anything from the short period of training "feeling like a professional" becuase you can easily make a bunch of porfolio using online help and softwares. It's the skills that matters for being a make up artist its not what on your portfolio.

Advertisement