Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Radish - where to obtain?

Options
  • 14-02-2012 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

Would anyone know where i can pick one up? I was speaking to an Estonian woman about one, but failed to find out from her where to purchase one from in Dublin.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

if you mean horse raddish, i've seen it in a lot of asian supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭looperman1000

Nah i think this stuff is slightly different:
    from wikipedia...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radish

Winter varieties
    Daikon

Black Spanish or Black Spanish Round occur in both round and elongated forms, and are sometimes simply called the black radish or known by the French name Gros Noir d'Hiver. It dates in Europe to 1548,[8] and was a common garden variety in England and France during the early 19th century.[9] It has a rough black skin with hot-flavored white flesh, is round or irregularly pear shaped,[10] and grows to around 10 cm (4 in) in diameter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

lol, i've always known it as radis noir (which is the one you mention) and is delicious, whereas i'd been told the english equivalent was horse raddish.

in any event the black raddish is the one i've seen in the asian supermarket in town

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭looperman1000

shrapnel, you are a star! Thanks very much :-)

Advertisement