Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Contemptable Bus Company

Options
  • 14-02-2012 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭

I have been searching for info on the Old Contemptable Bus Company, specifically one that ran in Killester after WW1. Apparently it was set up by returning ex-servicemen. I've done a bit of googling without luck, all I found were some images of the buses. I can't find any references in my book collection. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

I found this in the Irish Times which states that the bus company was owned by Mrs Gilbert at 11 Aungier Street

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

I did a bit more digging and thought I'd post up my findings. The Contemptible Bus Company was owned by Mrs Gilbert of Aungier Street. It operated after WWl and ran buses to the estates in Drumcondra and Killester that were built for British ex-servicemen. The drivers were generally ex-servicemen.
    I got most of the info from Louis O'Flaherty's 'Drumcondra and it's environs'.
    Here's a photo of one of their buses in Fairview

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭J K

jos28 wrote: »
    Old Contemptable Bus Company

I'm sure it was a fine bus company.
    But I'd have to give them only 9/10 for branding and marketing.*

*I know I'll be docked marks for spelling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

I did a bit more digging and thought I'd post up my findings. The Contemptible Bus Company was owned by Mrs Gilbert of Aungier Street. It operated after WWl and ran buses to the estates in Drumcondra and Killester that were built for British ex-servicemen. The drivers were generally ex-servicemen.

Did it operate as late as the 1950s or 60s because I think I remember these buses running on that route. We used to call it the 'Killester" bus back then and it was different in looks from the regular Dublin buses because it was a 'flat bus' and all the others were double deckers.

The area in Killester known as Abbeyfield was build for WWI ex-servicemen. The houses are all those one story style. Didn't know that the buses were directly connected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I have been searching for info on the Old Contemptable Bus Company, specifically one that ran in Killester after WW1. Apparently it was set up by returning ex-servicemen.

The name itself is military - it comes from a term used for regular troops in WW1.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭HydeRoad

MarchDub wrote: »
    Did it operate as late as the 1950s or 60s because I think I remember these buses running on that route. We used to call it the 'Killester" bus back then and it was different in looks from the regular Dublin buses because it was a 'flat bus' and all the others were double deckers.

No, most of these 'pirate' bus operators were compulsorily taken over by the Dublin United Tramways Company (forerunners of CIE) in 1934. Some of their vehicles were held in service by their new owner, but very quickly replaced by newer vehicles after.

Advertisement