Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

immunisation injections

Options
  • 14-02-2012 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

how to reduce the pain of the injection for the little one? any ideas ?
    also the after wards, baby very irritable and unable to settle? help needed
    thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

A spoon of Calpol and lots of love and attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Lots of cuddles.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭purplecat

Moonbeam wrote: »
    A spoon of Calpol and lots of love and attention.

PHN told us not to give calpol, as they are too small for it, it says on the box for babies over 3kg and they are well over that. because they where premmie babies. PHN advised us against given it, we cuddle them all the time, probably a bit too much,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

You could ask a pharmacist about giving calpol if you want a second opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,298 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

You could ask a pharmacist about giving calpol if you want a second opinion.

My daughter is having hers next week and I bought some Calpol in preparation. It does say on the box only to use if your child weighs over 4kg and was born after 37 weeks. Maybe a babies liver wouldn't be mature enough to process the paracetamol if they were premature?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

if you are breastfeeding be ready to feed as it eases the pain right away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I have been told after all of my daughters injections only to give calpol/neurofen as a very last resort as it can reduce the effectiveness of the vaccines. I would ring and check with your GP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 178 ✭✭Paddy Bateman

purplecat wrote: »
    how to reduce the pain of the injection for the little one? any ideas ?
    also the after wards, baby very irritable and unable to settle? help needed
    thanks
    Feed straight after. Then a sleep hopefully

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Lola92 wrote: »
    I have been told after all of my daughters injections only to give calpol/neurofen as a very last resort as it can reduce the effectiveness of the vaccines. I would ring and check with your GP.

We have always been told to give it after vaccines but mine never needed it.
    I hate the parental suffering of vaccines!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I try to hold off on giving calpol or neurofen and see if he needs it first which meant very little sleep last Friday night as the vaccine started to affect him around 2am. I wouldn't take painkillers in advance of possibly getting a headache or backache so I treat calpol for my son in the same way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I'd use calpol as a last resort...the GP will tell you what you can or can't use though.

Do you mean how to reduce the pain at the time? Bring a bottle with you to suck on straight afterwards. If you've been advised against giving calpol I'm not sure what else you can do other than grin and bear it. Unless a bath for the little guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

My girl was only a week old when she had her BCG and she never reacted to it at all. I thought they'd made a mistake and hadn't actually put the needle in! At her 2-month vaccines though it was a bit grimmer. The nurse was a bit rough, really jabbed the needle deep into her leg and man did the baby roar. I stuck her on the boob and she chilled out immediately, so maybe a bottle and a cuddle would have the same effect? She was a bit out of sorts until the next day, but I didn't give her anything beyond keeping her next to me 24/7 in the sling, or skin to skin on her dad's chest, both of which really seemed to comfort her.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭purplecat

thanks for the replies, GP said no Calpol, they are too young at the moment.. He recommended something really off the wall though, and I nearly choked when he said it, he said dip the doodee in sugary water and then stick in their mouth while the needle is going in. or he could prescribe a sucrose, same thing he said, most baby units use it , and he maintains that babies getting vaccines should get it too, reduces the feeling of a needle... also said feed straight away afterwards.. I hate needles, so, I am not sure if I should be one taking something or the babies !! haha! no more injection until next month... !!!

Advertisement