Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

More miles mean more improvement?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Larry Brent

,my tactics was to get the win and try and beat the course record of 46.7miles,so i was going to run the first 2 miles hard to not let anyone no my pace,i went out a 6.20pace and 2 guys flew past me,my friend said they where running 5.30 pace,that blew my goal out the window and didnt have a plan B.:)

Excuse my limited ultra racing knowledge, but is going out hard at the start of an ultra race not a strange choice of tactic?

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ray lanigan

hi larry
    that early pace wasnt hard,hard,and it was only going to be for a short period,so no energy lost,i still managed to do the last two miles in almost the same pace,but i no where your coming from,if its only a short period its not a problem,i wanted to test everyone else or even trough them off a bit,but two other guys had the same plan:)

these are my hourly laps in the crawley 6hr track race
    1st hour=31 laps+toilet break
    2nd hour=31 laps+toilet break
    3rd hour=31 laps+toilet break
    4th hour=33laps+ NO TOILET BREAK
    5th hour=27 laps(im trying to find out what happened in this hour as i ran at the same pase to the end,at least 4 or 5 laps missing,thats where some of the extra millage i ran went i think)
    6th hour=32 laps
    i got word saying that the miles i covered was a irish record but when i checked it myself i think i am the fastest in a 6hr track race but there guys that have ran much quicker in longer distances,they just take there first 6hr splits.:p
    after my first 6hr race it has got me thinking about trying a 100k or even a 12hr race,i think i could of plodded on a that pace for a good few hours more,i didnt have the speed to go faster but i felt like i could of ran alot further,fingers croosed for the future,i just hope the misses doesnt read this:D

week 18
    mon=rest
    tue=11miles x 7.58pace
    wen=rest
    thurs=8miles x 7.11pace
    fri=8miles x 7.22pace
    sat=rest
    sun=rest
    weeks total=27miles
    decided to take it real easy for a week as i think i deserved it,i ate as much junk food as possible,got results from the doctor saying my blood test came back grand but still refurred me to hospital about my bowels,so next up for me is the portuma 50k in less than 6 weeks,so training begins tomorrow for that,im going to run it hard but not hard,hard,i would love to do a 50k at sub 3hr marathon pace,but going to wait until next year for that,3.45 sounds good enough for this year:)

week 19
    mon=22miles x 7.59pace
    tues=10miles x 6.45 pace
    wed=15miles(8miles am x 7.19pace +7miles x 7.09pace pm)
    thurs=10miles x 7.27pace
    fri=rest
    sat=rest(sore foot so decided to be smart for once a didnt run on it)
    sun 26miles x 7.50pace
    weeks total= 83miles(wanted to do at least 100miles this week but foot was sore so missed a day,but on the good side my foot is fine now,roll on next week:))

week 20
    mon= 5miles
    tues=20miles at 7.27pace
    wed=rest
    thur=23miles(5x6.52pace+18miles at 8.30pace)
    fri=25 miles(5miles x 7.05pace am+20 miles at 8.30pace pm)
    sat=8 miles x 7.11 pace
    sun=20miles x 7.02pace
    weeks total 101miles(had a rub on tuesday and my legs felt like concrete blocks until today,had a lovely run today,makes up for all the hard work on bad runs):)

week 21
    mon=32miles(17miles x 7.37pace am)(15miles x 8.30pace pm)
    tues=10miles x 7.11pace
    wen=18miles(8miles am)(10miles x 6.50pace pm)
    thur=rest
    fri=8miles x 6.43pace
    sat=10miles x 7.23pace
    sun=22miles x 7.19pace
    week total=100mile
    (didnt get any long runs in this week due to work family and heat,but starting to feel realy strong and speeding up a bit too,havnt been injured for 6 weeks,i think the body is getting used to the bigger milage,was just doing portuma 50k as another medal in the bag and keep the appitite flowing,but now im thinking i might have a crack at running a good race:)

week 22
    mon=18 miles(10miles x 7.32pace am,8 miles x 6.58 pace pm)
    tues=24 miles(13mils x 7.44pace am,11 miles x 7.52pace pm)
    wens=rest
    thurs=7 miles x 7.29pace
    fri=rest
    sat=26 miles x 7.09pace
    sun=27 miles x 7.57pace
    weeks total=102 miles
    (missed a couple of days training,just coulnt motavate myself to run,but still managed to run 100mile week,so happy enough,so portuma 50k on saturday week,not sure what training to do until then,might leave the longer stuff and work on some speed for a change).

week 23
    mon=14 miles x 7.35pace
    tue=rest
    wens=20 miles x 6.48pace(only intended to do 12 of theses than i went to 14,than 16,than 18 than 20,was going to keep going until marathon distance but soon relised i was a half hour late to get home and i have a 50k race next week,just got in the zone and forgot everything else,was
    amazed that i ran theses on empty and took nothing out of me,bring on portuma)
    thurs=rest
    fri=14 miles x 7.54pace
    sat=10 miles x 6.33pace
    sun=12 miles x 7.18pace
    weeks total 70miles(not injoying my taper week as i just miss running long,but i will be fresh as a daisy for saturday for the first time this year and injury free,bring it on:).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

ray, how you fixed for portumna? you looking forward to it?

just a q. do you ever find it hard to get out the door for some of those long runs? i find it hard enough doing 5 or 7 miles but they're nearly over before you start, but you face 15, 18, 20+ regularly , ? how do you find them and is it hard to stay motivated. thks

ray, how you fixed for portumna? you looking forward to it?

just a q. do you ever find it hard to get out the door for some of those long runs? i find it hard enough doing 5 or 7 miles but they're nearly over before you start, but you face 15, 18, 20+ regularly , ? how do you find them and is it hard to stay motivated. thks

yep realy looking forward to portuma,getting nervous,something that doesnt realy happen with me,but im going to take a risk and run it hard,could blow up,but worth a shot.
    if i tell myself i need to run these long runs to get in shape for a certin race,than i get real focus,and theres not a problem with motavation,they dont seem that long if you keep doing them,starts to feel normal after a while,when i first started running 3 miles seemed long:D,i do find it hard to go out,but you just have to put yourself in a good mind set and get out the door,hope i answered your question,keep up the great work:)

week 24
    mon=rest
    tues=10 miles x 6.23pace
    wen=rest
    thurs=rest
    fri=3 miles
    sat=31 miles x 6.51pace(portumna 50k)report to follow:)
    sun=8miles
    total=52miles

RACE REPORT,portumna 50k
    the day started with a 3.50am alarm call after having 3 nightmares waking up in cold swets about chasing mick rice around portumna,havnt been up that early ever,had all my gear packed the day before(a first for me,usually running around like a headless chicken looking for stuff the morning of departure)down for breakfest,the plan was to leave tramore after getting collected from ian(also doing the 50k) at 4.30,and then collecting dave(also doing the 50k) from waterford city on the way,i gave ian a quick call at 4am and his phone just rang out,so i tried again and the same thing,had me porridge and gave him another call and no answer,i must of rang 10times,panic,i rang dave to give him the good news at 4.20,so plan b was he could come out and pick me up but he has no satnav and we havnt a clue how to get there and there was no plan b,as i hung up the phone ian called,he had sleeped threw all his alarm calls and my phone calls,plan A back on,panic over,so of we headed with the satnavcollected dave and arrived in portumna in 2 hours,a very handy spin,a lady called eimar hurley was very kind enough to collect our race numbers the day before,we collected them of her and started to get ready,ian noticed i was putting his number on my vest and mine on his,quick thinking ian,so over to the start we went,got a race briefing and watched the 100k runners running past(big respect for them,they stared 2 hours before us and would be still out there for hours when we where heading home),my first plan was to run at 7.15 pace with a lad called anthony whelen(a future ultra running star),but he pulled out with injury,but last week i had done a 20miler at 6.52 pace handy enough and on that said i might as well give it a shot at running that in portumna,a big ask but worth the try,if it works i have a great platform for future races and if not i will no better the next time,so the race started and mick rice,shane whitty and i think mick cunningham witch went on to win the race went ahead,i said i will make my prezince felt i pushed the pace a went on past the 3 of thme for about .25 of a mile,i was clipping along at 6.20 pacing and felt easy,then i said to myself what you doing your ment to be running 6.52pace so eased back abit and the 3 lads went past me again,i found it hard to ease back in to 6.52 so decided to run hard enough for the first lap and at least keep the lads in sight and bag abit of time,first 5k lap was in 20min dead on,so the front two changed places over the first lap a couple of times and mick stayed in 3rd running a very even pace,i started laughing because now like my dream i was chasing behind mick,well for 7miles was the last time i say his back,but could see were the were at all times in the race as we were doubling back in the race,so after the first lap i done another one in 6.44 pace and slowley brought it to my 6.52 as planned,after 13 miles my legs started to thighten up and questioned myself that i could keep this going but when i passed some friendly faces and shouted encouragement it speered me on,(paul burrnock 100k runner and his future wife,grellan which i met before in connemara,ian hurley,dave sheridan,jp and his wife,and everyone else that shouted and clapped),after the fifth lap i started to slow a little and the odd 6.56 mile went in,i started to look at my garmin,two of them,a friend gave me alone of his as my one plays up under tree line,and worked out how far i was ahead,108 seconds ahead i was at mile 19,and starting to slow again so worked out if i could get the first 26.2 under the 3hrs,so time really to work as hard as you can,came in the marathon 1n 2.58.59,lovely,but you still have 4.8miles to go,i had noticed that the front 3 were pulling away all the time up until that point,but from there on in except for mick they were slowing alot and i was gaining on them,i had my own battle on my hands with the 6.52pace,(i always go into a race with a time in my mind and if thats good enough to place than thats it,but always a time that seems my limit,)with every mile that was going by now i was losing time,with 4 miles to go 7.04 pace was the best i could leave it before my time would run out,last lap and i just pushed hard and in the end came in at 6.51 pace,over the moon,sub 3hr pace all the way,3hr34,4th place,and a lovely medal from seb the race director,(i would just like to say this race is up there with connemar as my favourite,a specail race,everyone has to give this one a go,)so over to the car got changed and back over to see how ian and dave were doing,dave was going really strong up until the 7th lap when his quads went totally and could of easy ended anyones race(this was daves first ultra and has only realy started running),but hes made of strong stuff and carried on and still finished in a very respectfull time,i think he would of crawlled to the finish if he had to,ian also had problems with his garmin database filling up after half way and his knee gave him real trouble and he coulnt keep his gels down and had to run on empty(ians 3rd ultra,hes ran the connemara ultra twice in great times)but he battled on and finished in a great time aswell.i stayed for a while a shouted some encouragement to paul in the 100k(resect) jp that went on to get a marathon pb,and every one else on the day,i realy enjoyed this race,thanks seb and will be back next year to do it all again,maybe the 100k:).

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Insane1

Savage running Ray! Even more impressive than your pace was the fact that even though you had your own race to run, you had words of encouragement for anyone else that needed it. Huge respect!! Only a matter of time before you get a fully deserved 1st place...

well done ray. ha ha thats gas about dreaming about mick rice and then living the dream / nightmare.
    keep it going man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Congratulations Ray!
    Another amazing run for you, it sounds like a really great race with a great atmosphere, I'm delighted it went to so well for you.

PORTUMNA 50K
    RESULT,as i forgot to stop my garmin when i went over the line and never looked at the clock my finish time now is 3hr32.24,better again:),and i even ran the last lap faster than anyone in the race:eek:6.49pace,i had alot more time in the bank than i thought

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

I thought I spotted the 'Never Give Up' t-shirt fly past me late on. It was probably your last or second last lap & you were fairly motoring.

You passed me on the home straight in Connemara & the 'Never Give Up' slogan gave me the kick up the arse I needed to push for home. Not so on Saturday unfortunately. I was running on empty at that stage (tummy problems from early on & couldn't stomach much food). Either way I still enjoyed my first foray into the long stuff.

Savage running again Ray & as already stated elsewhere its not long before a podium finish arrives. Have you figured out yet if 'More miles mean more improvement'?

Bugsy2000 wrote: »
    I thought I spotted the 'Never Give Up' t-shirt fly past me late on. It was probably your last or second last lap & you were fairly motoring.

You passed me on the home straight in Connemara & the 'Never Give Up' slogan gave me the kick up the arse I needed to push for home. Not so on Saturday unfortunately. I was running on empty at that stage (tummy problems from early on & couldn't stomach much food). Either way I still enjoyed my first foray into the long stuff.

Savage running again Ray & as already stated elsewhere its not long before a podium finish arrives. Have you figured out yet if 'More miles mean more improvement'?
    hi bugsy
    i wish i could but faces to all these names,then again im fairly new on boards,i will get to no everyone soon enough,im glad the t shirt helped you in connemara,it helps me to because there no way i could never give up whering it:D,sorry to hear you had stomach problems in portumna,i no the feeling alright,but glad to hear you still had a great time,and enjoyed your first ultra,all the best with your future endevours,yes i believe the more miles are giving me some big improvments:)roll on dingle 50miler

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Great running as usual Ray.. Already looking forward to seeing how ul get on in Dingle!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Brilliant run Ray, congratulations on a savage 50k, and on passing 2000 miles for the year already!

week 25
    mon=rest
    tues= 12miles x 8.36 pace
    wens=13 miles x 7.28 pace
    thurs=13 miles x 9.00 pace(legs felt great up until this run,delayed soreness)
    fri=rest
    sat=rest
    sun=13 miles x 7.00pace
    week total= 51 miles(would of loved to do a least 100miles but im going to help a freind get under 3hrs in waterford marathon on saturday,took 2 days of to try a recharge the legs,getting a rub tomorrow so hopefully that brings them back to life,cant wait to get this marathon out of the way,extreme training awaits me for 8 weeks to get ready for dingle:D)

WATERFORD MARATHON HELP A FRIEND AROUND IN SUB3HR
    it has only been 2 weeks since my 6.49 pace 50k run so i wasnt feeling great of the idea of trying to run at the same pace again,but i promised a friend at the start of the year that i would help him achieve his goal of breaking the 3hr mark,hes had a few atemps with no joy,he has great speed,alot faster than me so i was confident he could do it if he paced it well,his problem before was going out to hard,so we got to the start line this morning,i wasnt confident in myself as i didnt no if i was recovered in time and picked up a cold the day before,but if i can hold in there for at least 20miles anyway that should help him enough and the pacer can do the rest,so the gun went off and we tucked in behind the pacer,first mile 6.29,second was going the same so i told him we are tipping on abit fast,his garmin had stopped working,i asked him if he wanted mine as we were going to be following him,then i relised he was only pacing the first 13.1 and another pacer was going to jump in and pace the second half,he slowed it back down into 6.50s with the help of us all,than 4 miles in he started to realy slow to 7.10 pace,i said to my freind look im going to go of my watch so we might have to run this just the two of us,so we went on and caught another guy who said there running way to slow now we soon were out of sight from the pacer,at 8 miles my freind told one of the stewards he knows that the pacer was well behind and to tell him as he past to speed up,so at mile 11 we could see the pacer and the pack catching back up with us,they had to run 3 or 4 miles at 6.30 pace to catch up with us again and we were about to hit the hardest part of the route,we were all running togeher again but lost alot of runners at this point,and my legs were herting bad and i was struggling alot,than we hit the 13.1 miles and the new pacer jumped in,we were 20seconds ahead,there was a nice downhill stretch here and we soon had a minute ahead,my family were waiting for me at my 18 and i was struggling bad,but what a lift they gave me,i just tried to block out the fact that we were running fast and kept saying this is just a training run,im from this area so i was running on roads that i usually train on so it helped alot to fool myself,mile 21 came and we still had a minute in the bag but we were all starting to suffer,the pacer was doing a great job talking away to all of us and realy helped to keep everyone relaxed,when the pacer picked us up there was 10 of us and at mile 24 we still had 9 of us,this is were things got funny for me,i new my friend was going to do it as with 2 miles left he could slow the pace to 7.20 and still get under and the pressure just disapered from me and i relaxed,i asked him if it was ok if i tried to push on at this point,there was aleast 4 of the guys in our pack that looked realy fresh so if i was going to make a move it had to be now,so of i went and pushed the pace to 6.30 and 2 of them went with me but coulnt stay with me,i could of went faster but was keeping something in the tank,i could see a runner well ahead and just tried to focus on him and see if i could hunt him down,i was catching him aswell now really fast,so uped the pace again to 6.00 and with .3 of amile to go i went straight past him and over the finish line in 2hr57.45 only 35 seconds from my pb,and got 10th place to top it all of,was well worth chasing that last guy down,and my freind came in at 2hr59.05,was so pleased for him to finally get the monkey of his back,and he got the over 40s title to top it all of,my freind ian done his first pacing job,the 4hr and done a fantastic job with 3hr 59.21,well done ian,well done to dave you was carrying a bad injury and still finished in just over 4hr,this was waterfords first marathon and the realy done a great job,great atmosphere and buzz around the place,will defintly be back next year,so job done,everyone :),time to take it easy,well maybe not dingle50mile training starts in 2 days,but im not running another fast marrathon again this year,i will be doing my first pacing job in dublin and maybe one or two more,a nice handy 3.15 for once:Dtalk about suffering for 24 miles and than start to feel fresh,4 minute after i finished i decided to run back to tramore again,another 7 miles,after 2 miles i questioned my sanity but carried on,than relised im going to have to do this on empty as i never brought any extra gels for this,i had my medal in my pocket but the stewards were shouting at me that i was running the wrong way so had to take it out ant run with it around my neck so the could see it,got to tramore and jumped straight into the sea for 10minutes,what a releaf for the legs:Dwell done to grellan on pacing the 3.30and paul in pacing the 3.15,great job lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Fantastic run as always Ray, your run afterward just remInds us all that you are made of stronger stuff than us mere mortals, well done and congrats to your friend

week 26
    mon=rest
    tues=10 miles x 6.42pace
    wens=rest
    thur=rest
    fri=3 miles x 7.00pace
    sat= 33 miles(26.2marathon in 2hr57.45+ 6.8miles cooldown)
    sun=5 miles x 7.29pace
    total=51 miles(nice to get this marathon finished, now i can start doing some slower longer miles):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

We saw you running back out the Tramore Road after finishing. We were at mile 23, suffereing, and you breezed past us, fresh out :). Fair play to you!

Great stuff as per usual Ray...When uve finished training for Dingle u must give the marathon distance a right lash.... 2.45ish me reckons :)

week 27
    mon=10 miles x 8.25pace
    tues=16 miles(8miles am +8miles pm)
    wens=rest
    thur=20 miles(12 miles x 7.27pace am+ 8miles pm)
    fri=8 miles x 7.33pace
    sat=27 miles(17 miles x 7.35 pace am + 10miles pm)
    sun= 19 miles x 7.42pace
    total =100miles(that was the hardest 100 miles i have ever ran,nothing in the legs and the mind didnt want to run a mile,i really needed a brake this week to get over a few tough races lately but on the flip side of the coin i put my mind into hell and back,felt like i was going to brake at times but somehow pushed out 100 for the week,i want to try and run 1000miles before dingle to prepare myself for a good run,only 900miles to go:D.

week 28
    mon=16 miles(8miles x 8.15pace am+8miles x 7.44pace pm)
    tues=rest
    wens=17 miles(10miles x 7.22pace am+7miles pm)
    thurs=10miles x 7.35pace
    fri= 20miles(10miles x 7.22pace am+10miles x 7.23pace pm)
    sat=21miles(14miles x 7.27pace am+7miles x 6.52pace pm)
    sun= 22miles
    total= 106miles(didnt get any single long runs in this week bar today as had a demolition job on all week but on the bright side the legs are starting to come back to me,strating to feel good again,getting a rub on tues so i should be chomping of the bit come wensday:),time to start some hill running).roll on dingle 50m

week 29
    mon=23miles (15miles x 7.58pace am+8miles x 7.23pace pm)
    tues=10miles x 7.20pace am(massage pm)
    wens=rest
    thurs=20miles(10miles x 6.48pace am+10miles x 7.16pace pm)
    fri=22miles(12miles x 7.56pace am+10miles pm(didnt bring the garmin(handcuffs)for this run,but it was one of them runs that happens every blue moon when you are flying and it seems like you are a passenger in a car,sitting back and enjoying the ride.
    sat=28miles(20miles x 7.17pace and 8miles x 8.20pace with ian straight after
    sun=24miles x 7.34pace(ran along the coast roads(1649ft hills)felt strong all the way,very windy
    weeks total=127 miles(had to work doing dry linening all week so wasnt able to do any long runs during the week again,had to run in the morning and evening,but got a few decent runs in over the weekend,still hit 127miles for the week,so very happy with that,getting closer to dingle,looking forward to the challenge ahead:))

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

week 29

weeks total=127 miles(had to work doing dry linening all week so wasnt able to do any long runs during the week again,had to run in the morning and evening,but got a few decent runs in over the weekend,still hit 127miles for the week,so very happy with that,getting closer to dingle,looking forward to the challenge ahead:))

:eek:

That's incredible running Ray! You will be as strong as an ox in Dingle.

good going. wonder how your times would be for 'little' 10k race ? or do/have you done many of them and have your times improved with the big mileage.
    good stuff.

good going. wonder how your times would be for 'little' 10k race ? or do/have you done many of them and have your times improved with the big mileage.
    good stuff.
    i have done one 10k nearly 5 years ago,the pace was 6.11mile,i thought someone that could run under 6min was superman,then done a 5mile race the following year,6.11 pace,then went into a winter league were we would run 4 miles hard every week for 5 weeks i done it and my times came flying down to 5.40 pace,done a 4 mile race soon after that and that came down to 5.34pace,and i packed it in there,i think i could run faster if i could control my balance when running at speed,i seem to bounce all over the place,maybe one year i will just go short for a while and see what happens but im realy injoying the longer stuff,without a doubt the big miles this year are making me stronger and im speeding up alot too with less effort,by the end of the year i will be in a good place for sure,im heading in the right direction this year,looking forward to racing a few more ultras,keep up the great work yourself:)

week 30
    mon= 15miles
    tues= 22miles(12miles x 7.23pace am+ 10miles x 7.26pace pm)
    wens= 8miles
    thurs= 21miles(11miles x 6.51pace am pucked up on the last mile running up a hill + 10miles pm)
    fri=20miles(10miles am + 10miles pm)
    sat=26 miles(16miles x 7.25 am + 10miles pm)
    sun=30 miles(hill work 1996ft) x 7.31pace
    had to do alot of double sessions again this week as had 6 hard days craft but im over the moon to still run 142miles,if i get a week of i think i could run near 200miles for the week:rolleyes:

weeks total 142miles
    if you put in the hard work you get results,this weeks mileage is my biggest ever,biggest ever monthly mileage,passed my biggest yearly mileage already,and my weight has dropped to the lowest of 10.7 since i was a baby(on my way to eddie rockets to change that):Droll on dingle 50

week 31
    mon=10 miles x 7.34pace
    tue=10 miles x 7.08pace
    wens=rest
    thurs=20 miles(12 miles x 6.48pace am+8 miles x 7.18pace pm)
    fri=10 miles
    sat=31 miles x 7.30pace(this was my best training run of the year so far,met a lad(anthoney) in connemara ultra this year and we have been trying to organise a run together since,so we hit the hills,set out to run 7.30 pace all the way,doesnt sound that fast but when you have to run up 3755ft of hills then its a differant ballgame,and we had every kind of weather in our face,hes doing the longford ultra in 3 weeks and by yesterdays run he will have some race,well done anthoney).
    sun=19miles

total=100miles(decided to use this week as a recovery week and give the next 2 weeks a right hammering,and than taper for dingle,less than 4 weeks away now,cant wait to get on them hills:))

• Registered Users Posts: 12 anthony.whelan

Great running yesterday ray!!! Christ it was a tough tough session! There was points where i was digging into my boots!Wind rain heat hills had it all! After running that training route yesterday and known you have spent the last few months training on them roads I'm terrified of what you ll do in dingle!! I'm quite thankful I'm going to Longford instead ha ha! When telling me how many big climbs to go on the run I still think you were only counting every second one!! :-) great session!!

it was a pleasure to have ran with you,it was nice to get a real good session in,great for the confidence:),always run the hard route and every other route becomes easier,only call a hill a hill when the lungs are burning,looking forward to the next adventure.

week 32
    mon= 24 miles x 7.23 pace
    tue= 25 miles(13miles x 7.40pace am+12miles x 7.19pace pm)
    wens=24 miles(12miles x 7.35pace am+12miles x 7.27pace pm)
    thur=12 miles x 7.17pace
    fri= 17 miles x 7.28pace
    sat= 23miles x 7.40pace(set out to run 37miles was flying and bang hit a wall head on,that little voice in the back of my head said thats it ray you aint running another mile today.
    sun= 16 miles x 7.13(i coulnt run another mile today again)went home realy unhappy,141miles for the week,a broken man,i was set for 160miles+,but would of been realy happy to of hit 150mile,so was sitting there and said to myself your 1 mile short of your biggest millage week,get up and stop feeling sorry for yourself and get out and run another 9 mile and make it 150mile,so to the little voice in the back of my head,look at the screen and weep because your not beating me again,151miles,that extra 0ne is for you)10miles x 7.16pace pm.

week total=151miles:D

• Advertisement

ya ray, stop skivin' :p

great going man.

week 33
    mon=14 miles x 7.50pace
    tue=8 miles
    wens=rest
    thurs=20 miles(12 miles x 7.20pace am+ 8 miles x 7.11pace pm)
    fri=10miles
    sat=34 miles(24miles x 7.24pace 2404ft elavation gain and 10miles x 8.24pace with ian straight after(went 29miles on nothing to eat just one gel and fecking nearly collapsed,got another gel in at 29miles and was grand again,then 4 hours later i was in tescos and everything went black and i was swetting mad and got realy dizzing,just doing to much i suppose
    sun=14 miles

total=100miles(so thats the training done for dingle,7 x 100 mile weeks,done the best i could do,taper starts now,felt like i have went down hill since 7 weeks ago but i havnt had a break,im sure this taper will have me firing come dingle 50miler)
    ps.well done to dave and ian for getting the training done,we will have a blast in dingle,very proud of you lads:)

Super stuff again Ray! Feet up now, the work is done.. Roll on Dingle, can't wait! You will tear the place up!!

Savage last few weeks training Ray....Great dedication.... Ur in some shape for Dingle.... Cant wait 2 c the results :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Savage stuff indeed, Ray. See you in Dingle, but I don't think that I'll try and stay with you this time round.

still trying to figure out what pace to run it at:),see you there,this is the first taper that im glad to be doing,a lovely brake from the bigger miles,i usually hate tapering,done my best in training,nothing more i can do now,just mad to get out on the course now and run:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Ray,that has been unreal running over the last few weeks,you won't know what to you with yourself with the free time during the taper period.
    Out of curiosity, do you have a strategy in mind for the race as in go all out at the start & try & set the pace or just go with the flow & leave them all for dust at the end? How about fueling/eating ? will you rely on the food at the drop off station or will you have your own team to assist along the way?
    Sorry about all the questions just interested in the background to how people approach these races.

docjewel wrote: »
    Ray,that has been unreal running over the last few weeks,you won't know what to you with yourself with the free time during the taper period.
    Out of curiosity, do you have a strategy in mind for the race as in go all out at the start & try & set the pace or just go with the flow & leave them all for dust at the end? How about fueling/eating ? will you rely on the food at the drop off station or will you have your own team to assist along the way?
    Sorry about all the questions just interested in the background to how people approach these races.
    taper this week consist of 5 x 10miles,feels like i have gave up running with all the spare time:),my strategy for the race is not to race anyone until near the end,i have a set time in mind now and will run at that pace exact but hopefully save a bit in the tank for the end,at least then i have some energy for tactics,its my first 50miler so i have to respect the distance and build on it,if that time gave me 3rdplace or 10th place i dont mind,as long as i gave my all on the day is all you can ask of yourself
    i done a 6hr track race and managed grand on just gels and water and ran close to 50miles so will just try that again,the only stop i will make hopefully is at the half way mark for a few gels and a quick freshen up,i wish i had someone with a bike handing me gels and water,that would make some differance on the day but we all in the same boat i suppose,looking forward to getting out there now and giving my all:),and meeting all the other ultra nutters,hope i answered your questions,talk to again

week 34
    mon=rest
    tue=10 miles
    wen=10 miles x 6.52 pace
    thur=rest
    fri=10 miles x 7.10 pace
    sat=10 miles x 8.24 pace
    sun-rest

total=40miles(was meant to do 50 mile this week for my taper but went of with the family on sunday and coulnt be arsed when i got home,have been feeling realy weak so the extra days rest will do me good,picked up a bit if a cold,so im sucking oranges and boroga boost for the rest of the week,roll on saturday,cant wait to get stuck in:)

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Best of Luck on Saturday Ray :-) ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Best of luck for tomorrow Ray, you're going to run a cracker of a race! Enjoy :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement