Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

More miles mean more improvement?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

hope goes well for ya ray. look forward to report.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Best of luck Ray... Absoulely savage block of training.......Ur in tip top shape so give it socks man :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

^^^^ what they said:)

Looking forward to a super result and another one of your heartfelt reports Ray

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Best of luck man you have put in the work now time to reap the rewards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

2nd Place is 6:11 Just 12 Minutes behind the winner Keith White.

Super Stuff Ray. Enjoy a little break now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ray lanigan

just back in the door a hour ago,would of loved to have red all these good luck messages before i left,thanks everyone,it helps alot having support from fellow runners,it can be a very lonely sport at times,thanks so much:)

week 35
    mon=rest
    tue=10 miles x 6.48pace
    wen=rest
    thurs=8 miles x 7.20pace
    fri=rest
    sat=50 miles x 7.26pace(dingle ultra)
    sun=3miles x 8.48pace

week total=71 miles(2nd place in the dingle 50mile ultra,plan was to run 7.30 pace and try and beat the course record of 6hr22,managed 7.26pace beat it in 6hr11,but superman(keith wyhte)turned up a set a new one in 5.59:eek:,got to run with him for a few miles,what a lovely lad,respect,and some great fantastic running from all the rest of the boards runners,will put race report up soon when the head returns to normal

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Insane1

C'mon, where the race report Ray????:D

DINGLE 50MILE RACE REPORT
    part 1,the journey
    the day started (friday)with me,ian and dave heading of in a camper van,all headind to dingle to tackle our first 50 miler,i have ran very close to 50miles this year but daves longest run was 32miles in a training run 4 weeks prior,and also a 50k race 8 weeks prior,i new he was in great shape as i had done a program for him and ian 8 weeks ago witch they followed almost 100%,but this was going to be a real test,ian has run connemara twice and a 50k so he had alot more experiance to what lie ahead,his plan was around a 8hr finish,his marathon pb is 3.56,so it would be one hell of a achievement if he could,daves plan was a 10hr finish,pretty impresive considering his limited experiance in running long and the more impressive that he would be wearing a pair of vibrams five fingers the hole way(i still cant get my head around that one),my plan was anything from a 6hr40 to a 7hr finish around 6 weeks ago but with plenty of miles and hard work and the help of a friend called anthoney whelan,he made me believe in myself and we done a real good work out together at 7.30 pace x 31miles over some good hilly coast roads,so my plan changed to try and beat the previuos course record of 6hr22min(7.44pace).
    the journey down to dingle was a long one,as a few major roads were closed witch ment some back roads all the way,not ideal for a monster left hand drive camper van,all we talked about on the way was the race ant the pasta party,so we were saving our belly for that,i comented on ken charging 100 euro for the race,next year he will charge 120 as i will eat so much food,he had planed to stop at a few petrol stations for grub but there was some dodey looking ones so only eated out of one of them,we got to dingle very hungry and was getting late now around 6.30,we had left at 12.40,then headed to our camp site and got lost trying to find that,we managed to drive all along the dingle coast but it was also the dingle marathon route,it realy put our minds at ease that there wasnt any major hills,but we hadnt seen conors pass and one other major climb,we arried in the campsite at 7.30 and checked in and straight away followed the smell of pasta to dingle town,i would have usually eating 5 meals at this time the day before a race but only twice so far,so saying i was hungry was a understatement,as we headed back into dibngl i could picture the lady scrapping the pasta out of the end of the pot saying thats all thats left lads as it was closing at 9,we got there at 8.30 put they had a massive spread on,i done a sub 4 min mile to get my plate,topped it as high as possible with pasta,and got a cup of soup,sat down and relised the pastas where all stone cold,pasta is my favourite dish but only hot,i coulnt stomach it cold,i went up and asked the girl would she be kind enough to heat it up,but she said the prepared the food earlier somehere else and coulnt heat it up,then i sat down a worried man as i had to eat something for tomorows race,brain wave9please dont try this at home kids)hot veg soup on top of the pasta,yes it was rank but had to be done,the boys had no bother eating there cold dish and even a second,i had 4 cups of soup,bellys full time to get back to the campsite for some well deserved sleep,got back and done some last minute preps for tomorrow,then noticed the time almost 12 oclock and we had to be up at 4oclock,i would normally sleep m8 or 9 hours aday ,12 only for the kids,but 4 hours sleep the night before our biggest challenge to date,so of we went i closed our eyes to dream of what lie ahead in 7 hours.
    part 2 and 3 to follow:D

PART 2
    the start and the middle
    ring ring,ring ring,feck of alarm,yep 4 oclock,i cant get up i just want to sleep,why did i start ultra running and not take up golf,but we all had a job to do,up we all got and had some porridge,washed and changed and headed to dingle town at 5.15 to catch the bus to bring us to the race start,i dont realy get nervous leading up to the races but on the morning of them i feel sick with nerves,because you no you have to do something that requires 100% effort and your waiting around for this to begin,you no your a ultra runner when theres a que of ye ****ting in a field and we having a chat to each other:D,so bowels empty and we all stood at the start line,got to talk to thomas b(i was very keen to shake this mans hand because 8 weeks before he had mixed it with the best in ireland in a 24hr race and came 2nd,byby seeing his improvement he has giving me hope and belief to push on,as we only finished minutes apart this year in the connemara ultra.
    then i noticed a lad in the irish kit,i reconised the face as supermann(keith whyte)and my nerves got worse,i had also seen a foreign lad sprinting up and down the road warming up and i new there was going to be a tuff race on today.
    my plan was to go hard for the first 2 miles as i had worked on this in training,to bag some time and then relax and maybe mess with a few heads:D,so the gun went off,and i went and nobody came past me,so planis working so far,then this motor bike comes flying next to me and then in front of me,whats this about i said to myself,o feck your leading the race,i had never pictured this in my plan,was a bit sureal to say the least,the first mile was a bit uphill and then a good downhill stretch,mile 2 came and i was clipping along at 6.25pace and it felt so easy,my plan was to ease of hear into 7.30pace,but keith whyte had raced longford ultra only 6 days ago,so i thought if i kept this pace going for another mile or two he might say,feck this lad in the lead is going well so i might ease of and have a eady day at the office,mile 5 came and he was still about 100 meters behind me so i played a little game,i was jumping up and down of the footpath and running in and out of the white lines in the road and loosening out my hands andarms,so he might look and say this lad is having a ball in front of me and running in the low 6.20pace,but keiths a different breed of a runner and wasnt going to fall for my games.
    he won the four nations not so long ago,he repersented ireland on his own and took on the best ultra teams in england,wales,scotland and beat them all,he has also ran for ireland in this year world champs,but i kept the pace going,at mile 5 we turned into a head wind and i kept pushing,then at mile 7,keith caught up with me as i had eased the pace to 6.40,i congrads him on his recent wins and we had a good chat about how we train for the next 3 miles,i told him at mile 10 i would ease of into my plan,but said to him i will come on strong in the later stages so he would always be looking over his shoulder,as soon as i eased of keith was going away quick and a runner in 3rd i could see a good bit back,i think when i eased of it gave him something to chase down,as he was getting nearer i noticed it was the foreign lad that was warming up at the start.
    it was mile 13 now and he caught me and gace me a quick nod and went straight passed me,he didnt say a word but the look he gave me and the nod i could see he was showing me he was ready for action,then i had a quick look at my watch and it was 1hr28min at mile 13.1,feck im on for a marathon pb and i have 37miles left to run,cop on ray,slow down,so i tried to keep the pace around 7.25 and the slovak(ivan)went further ahead.
    when ken the race director gave us a race briefing i thought he said conors pass wa at mile 21,but a mile 17 i seen a wall in front of me,jesus i said whats conors pass going to be like after,ken didnt mention this.i quickly relised this was conors pass.
    i was amazed at the leg muscles on the foreign lad(ivan)and said to myself he will chew me up on the hills,so i put my head down and ran well into the now blowing hurricane,now my miles on conors pass wher almost 9min,but half way up i seen ivan and keith ahead,yes i was closing now fast on him,them leg muscles must of been from weights not hill running,head down again and pushed on,i gaught him 3/4 of the way up,this time we exchanged words,maybe we had more respect for each other now,as he was a faster runner on the flat but i was the stronger on the hills,what a game of cat and mouse,he told me he ran 2.52 in cork this year so i new he was the faster runner,so i had to make a move,a minute later i kicked hard,i was running 7min pace near th top of conors pass,in the louds,took a quick look over the edge and god dizzy,got to to the top and the wind was unreal,it was blowing me all over the place.it was a crazy moment,in the clouds,wind blowing and top af a mountain,and 30 miles ahead of me to run and a mad slovak just behind me,then he came flying past me on the downhill stretch,i didnt think i would see him again but we passed each other 5 times over the next 12 miles,i got to the drop of point and a quick freshen up and my gel belt ant of again,i got to the 26.2 point in 3hr8min.
    part 3 to follow:)

• Advertisement

got to to the top and the wind was unreal,it was blowing me all over the place.it was a crazy moment,in the clouds,wind blowing and top af a mountain,and 30 miles ahead of me to run and a mad slovak just behind me

Lol, classic!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

Keep it coming ray. You're reports are certainly unique and a good oul read. Ur still mad tho.

part 3
    the battle to the finish
    so i passed the marathon point in 3hr8min still chasing the mad slovak and noticed he was starting to slow alittle,this made me up the pace again and by mile 31 we where side by side,but i was starting to feel realy fatigued and ivan was aswell,we were now running 8.34pace,i was giving myself a right telling of for going out to hard,but it was my plan to hold of on the gels to the later stages,i had one at mile 10,15,20,25,29,32,35,38,41,44,47, a shorter gap in the later stages and just drank a half bottle of water at most stops,myself and ivan ran together for the next 3 miles a i questioned if i would make it to the end,i was realy worried now that we would get swallowed up by the rest of the ultra runners,then i thought about the long miles i put in training and i said right the next hill i come to im going to brake this slovak once and for all,im going to run up it as past as i can and when i get to the top ivan wont see me amongst the now other marathon runners,the hill came and i belted up it as hard as i could,6.10 pace,looked back and he was gone,and went down the other side just as fast,and then eased the pace back,i thought that pace would be 8.30s,but i was shocked to see 7.20s and it felt easy,unbelivable how the body responds,there i was spent and now flying again,i kept this pace going and mile 39.3 came,i ran connamara ultra this year and was on for a sub 4hr50 finish but for a mistake with my watch,and i was so happy when i looked at it today to see 4hr49min,i was feeling fresh as a daisy,cant wait for next year up there in conna,i kept this pace up until mile 44,this is where the wheels came off.
    i almost came to a standstill,my legs and body were shutting down,screaming at me to stop,i was at the last climb,2 miles to the top,all i wanted to do is walk up it,there was a lady next to me walking the hill and i was running at the same speed as her,i was screaming at myself i will not walk,no regrets ray,if you walk ivan will beat you and 2nd place was gone,come on ray this is your day,now i didnt give a ****e about what finishing time i could get i just wanted to finish,i shouted out loud get up the fecking hill,i still cant figure out what happened but a steward shouted to me its all down hill from hear,i looked at him and said what about the 2 mile hill and then looked at my watch it was now almost 47mile,i cant explain what had happened,it was like it all went blank,i went up to another stewart and said is it all down hill from here,yep she said,i put my arms in the air and shouted yes,im going to do this,and next thing i was flying down towards dingle fresh as a daisy again,this is were i started to get hot feeling going up my right leg every minute or so,so i just kept the pace steady as i new there was something up,i usually have a strong finish i could of knocked a couple of minutes hear but i wasnt going to risk it,i later found out that it was the start of bad cramp(i deffintly wasnt drinking enough fluids).
    all was ahead of me now was the long staight road to dingle,my plan for this was to look only at the ground and start counting,if i looked up i would give myself a 10 sec penalty,i would count to 200 and end up counting to 250 with the penaltys,and start again,i past the 4.15pacer here,he gave me a great shout and smile,that gave me such a lift.
    now i could see dingle town in the distance and gave myself a pat on the back,you have done it ray,50 miles and second place,here comes the finish line,through my hat in the air and the emotion came flying out shouting come on,yes,come on.
    then johnny 50 questions gabbed me on the micro phone,so well done ivan he said to me,nope im ray,i looked at the sheet he had in his hand and i could see keith wyhte first,ivan second,ray 3rd,o sorry did you pass ivan,yep 17miles ago,then i said to myself maybe he flew past me on the last hill when i fell asleep,then johnny said yep your right ivan is still running,he came in nearly 12 minutes after me.
    so over iwent got changed,eat,had a chat with some of the ultra runners,and waited for my friends ian and dave as there where still out there running.
    i got word saying the prize giving was at 4 oclock so i had plenty of time to wait for the lads,ian came in 8hr2min and dave 9hr17min,im really proud of the lads preformances as i saw the work the put in in the 8 weeks leading up to dingle,my own time was 6hr11min,if i kept that pace going for another 2.4miles,that would give me 2back to back 3.15marathon,so im excited about racing a 100k now,keiths time gave him the second fastest 50mile in the world this year and mine the 3rd fastest,im not sure about them stats but its giving me more belief now to improve more next year, i can defintley run faster as i did in dingle,if i can wear something to protect my hamtrings as they were tight at mile 15,and took on alot more fluids,thats without the more work i will put in to improve more,speed work,nutrition etc,i will defintly run faster,so cant wait for my next race,well done to every one on the day,some realy amazing achievment,50 miles of running:eek:

Massive congrats ray! I can't think of anyone more deserving for a podium finish. Some massive first places on the horizon in the very near future.. Exciting times ahead, well done!

week 36
    mon=rest
    tue=rest
    wens=rest
    thurs=more rest
    fri=even more rest:eek:
    sat=10 miles x 8.02pace
    sun=rest
    weeks total 10miles(think im missing a 0 there haha,was lovely to do no running for a change and eat crap food and enjoy it without feeling guilty,except for today i was eating my 5th take away of the week,i felt guilty,so from tomorrow the hard grind starts again,dublin pacing for me next month and then will train hard for the double marathon the month after,im not looking forward to the early mornings again but it has to be done:) to get to where you want to be.

well done Ray..ur an animal!!! Enjoyed reading ur reports...... I know its a long way off but ur going to give Conn Ultra some pasting next April :eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

In one of those 'it's a small world moments', the "mad slovak" Ivan is married to one of my work colleagues!

Great run & report!

liamo123 wrote: »
    well done Ray..ur an animal!!! Enjoyed reading ur reports...... I know its a long way off but ur going to give Conn Ultra some pasting next April :eek::eek:
    thanks liamo,myself you and thomas are at the same level,theres no reason why we cant go up there and mix it with the big boys,all we need to do is train like demons for 3 or 4 months,miles ,hills ,and more hills and more miles:D

opus wrote: »
    In one of those 'it's a small world moments', the "mad slovak" Ivan is married to one of my work colleagues!

Great run & report!
    i got to meet his wife after the race,hes a lovely lad,cant wait for next year to run against him again,tell his wife to tell ivan the mad paddy says cat and mouse.:)

• Advertisement

week 37
    mon= 10miles x 7.06 pace
    tue=10 miles
    wens=10 miles x 7.29pace
    thur=rest
    fri= 20 miles x 7.24pace
    sat=rest
    sun= 21 miles x 8.00pace
    weeks total= 71 miles(just starting to get back into it now,will start knocking the 100milers out for the next 7 weeks for the eddie murphy double marathon,feeling realy fit at the moment,i think the best thing i ever done was almost taking a hole week of after dingle ultra,it would usually take me 3 weeks to get over a race after going back running to soon,roll on dublin pacer duty)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Jaysus Ray you are a sucker for punishment. Fair play on that mileage.

week 38
    mon=11 miles x 7.24pace
    tues=10 miles
    wens=16 miles x 7.27pace
    thurs=12 miles x 7.50 pace
    fri=20 miles (10 miles x 6.21pace am)(10 miles x 7.25pace)
    sat=8miles
    sun 24n miles x 7.55pace
    weeks total=101miles(feeling the fittest ive ever been at the moment,on friday i was clipping along some of the miles at 5.50pace and felt good,going to start doing some track work next week for the first ever time and see what happens,all looking good at the moment,onwards and upwards)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

I think the track sessions are a great idea Ray. I found that I really started to improve my times once I started to do some quicker stuff. Running fast is fun too and keeps things interesting. Doing all your runs within a small pace range can get a bit tedious after a while.

Would be interested to see what kinda session you plan to do on the track or have you decided yet. Its scary to think of the shape you are in without what most would refer to as "quality work"

ecoli wrote: »
    Would be interested to see what kinda session you plan to do on the track or have you decided yet. Its scary to think of the shape you are in without what most would refer to as "quality work"
    im just going to turn up every tuesday and run what ever there doing in there,they are doing 2x2miles tomorrow with 4 min recovery in between,thats all i no,but i wont make it in there until next week,im looking forward to it now as i have never done speed work before,im hopefull it will bring me on a little:)

• Advertisement

first ever track speed session today and im addicted already,i went out today at 2 oclock and ran 10 miles and had no intention of running again today,but a friend does a track session in the rsc every tuesday,i had no intentions of going inthis week as my legs are fairly dead since dingle ultra as i havnt had a rub since that week,but i said feck it i will go in to the track tonight,warm up and then 2x 2miles with 4 mins recovery,i heard someone say something about 6min miles,so we started and i tucked in behind a lad and lady and we were at 5.59pace,we went passed the first mile at 5.52,it felt realy nice so i kept it the same, and on the last lap i would push the pace and came in on the second mile at 5.30,then recovery,i got a shock as i thought we would be still running but we just stood around for 4 min until the next one,i could get used to that,so the second 2 miler went of and i pushed it harder again and passed the mile in 5.42 and kept it the same again until the last lap and kicked again and done the next mile in 5.23,that was the session over,we did another 5 miles to make it to 10,next week its 6x1 miles,i havnt a clue how i run these,do i just pick a pace in my head and keep it the same all the way or do i try run flat out for these?so after my first ever session im converted already.cant wait for next week already

first ever track speed session today and im addicted already,i went out today at 2 oclock and ran 10 miles and had no intention of running again today,but a friend does a track session in the rsc every tuesday,i had no intentions of going inthis week as my legs are fairly dead since dingle ultra as i havnt had a rub since that week,but i said feck it i will go in to the track tonight,warm up and then 2x 2miles with 4 mins recovery,i heard someone say something about 6min miles,so we started and i tucked in behind a lad and lady and we were at 5.59pace,we went passed the first mile at 5.52,it felt realy nice so i kept it the same, and on the last lap i would push the pace and came in on the second mile at 5.30,then recovery,i got a shock as i thought we would be still running but we just stood around for 4 min until the next one,i could get used to that,so the second 2 miler went of and i pushed it harder again and passed the mile in 5.42 and kept it the same again until the last lap and kicked again and done the next mile in 5.23,that was the session over,we did another 5 miles to make it to 10,next week its 6x1 miles,i havnt a clue how i run these,do i just pick a pace in my head and keep it the same all the way or do i try run flat out for these?so after my first ever session im converted already.cant wait for next week already
    I think the idea of the intervals is to do them at a pace that you can repeat. You want to be fairly fecked at the end but still be able to do the last one at the same pace you did the first. Judging from your 2 X 2 miles, it would seem that 5.30-5.40 pace should be sustainable for the 6 repeats. That's some times to be doing in your first track session by the way.

I think the idea of the intervals is to do them at a pace that you can repeat. You want to be fairly fecked at the end but still be able to do the last one at the same pace you did the first. Judging from your 2 X 2 miles, it would seem that 5.30-5.40 pace should be sustainable for the 6 repeats. That's some times to be doing in your first track session by the way.
    you defintley no your stuff as when i walked away today i said what pace could i do them repeats at,and 5.30 came straight into my head,i will do them so at 5.30 to 5.40 and see how i get on,i never thought i could get into the faster stuff but i had a ball in there tonight,only down fall was there was only 2 repeats,i was having fun and then it was over so fast:D,im already thinking about racing 10k and 10 milers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 anthony.whelan

I'm getting scared on two different levels Ray!! 1. of what you ll be like if the track sessions build even more speed and 2. that you ll be lost to the world of 10 milers and 10k's when you start winning them ;) . Great to see you're back to 100+miles :eek:.Finally seeing a slight improvement in this foot in time for winter training! Enjoying just been able to run a few miles in the rain this week! Roll on the hills of the coast road and 2013!:D

I'm getting scared on two different levels Ray!! 1. of what you ll be like if the track sessions build even more speed and 2. that you ll be lost to the world of 10 milers and 10k's when you start winning them ;) . Great to see you're back to 100+miles :eek:.Finally seeing a slight improvement in this foot in time for winter training! Enjoying just been able to run a few miles in the rain this week! Roll on the hills of the coast road and 2013!:D
    good to hear the foot is on the mend,just dont rush things,take it nice and easy,next year i cant wait to get on the coast with you,we will train like animals and give the ultras a right go,the track session was a right buzz,its mad going in there,i have being running 5 and a half years now and i have never done any sessions like that and havnt a clue how fast i can run,im convinced the faster stuff will bring me on more,so fingers crossed:).

• Advertisement

week 39
    mon=10 miles x 7.15pace
    tues=20 miles(10 miles x 7.17+10 miles track(2 mile repeats at 5.52 5.30,5.42 5.23)
    wens=10 miles x 7.21 pace
    thur=rest
    fri=28 miles(18 miles x 6.49pace am + 10 miles x 7.22pace pm)
    sat=rest
    sun=32 miles x 7.52pace

weeks total=100miles(im now the fittest and strongest ive ever been,cant wait to see what 5 or 6weeks of speed work does for me,just got to put in some more hard work there,never thought i could say that running 100 mile weeks feel normal :eek:,but it does,looking forward to tuesdays track session,ive managed to get a few local lads to go for 3.15 in dublin,so ive been training with them the past 2 weeks,there coming along great:)

second track session
    i thought we were doing 6 x 1 miles,but it was only 4 x 1 miles with 3 min recovery,5.18,5.09,5.19,5.19,then a few of the lads were going to do another 5 easy miles around the town,i decided to stay on the track and do a few more fast miles at a slower pace,around the 6min miles was the plan,first of was a 2miler at 5.49+5.49 with a 2 min recovery than 3 x 1 miles 5.47,5.48,5.40 with 2 min recovery,i wasnt feeling great going in tonight as i done 10mile earlier and dint feel great doing that,but after the first mile i setteled in ok,enjoyed the session again,feel like ive come on since last week,looking forward to next week again,forgot to ask what we are doing

week 40
    mon=rest
    tues= 20 miles(10 miles x 7 .20 pace am +10 miles speed session in the track)
    wens=10 miles x 7.31pace
    thurs= 24 miles(15 miles x 7.02 pace am + 9 miles x 7.27pace pm)
    fri= 24 miles(coast hills)
    sat=rest
    sun=24 miles(coast hills)
    weeks total= 102 miles(roll on dublin marathon,and the 52miler:))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Congrats on the 102m week. Savage pace too!

Super running as usual ray! Will be in touch during the week!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 fjw

I heard they are still looking for two of the lads that u brought running out the hills,you animal

i seen the helecopter heading out looking for them:D

3rd ever track session
    6 x 1000m with 2 and a half min recovery
    1=5.08pace .64mile
    2=4.53pace .65mile
    3=5.10pace .62mile
    4=5.03pace .64mile
    5=5.08pace .63mile
    6=5.01pace .64mile
    then i done a 2 miler x 5.49+5.49 with 2 min recovery
    then i done 3 x 1 miles x 5.41,5.46,5.43 with 2 min recovery
    loved the session again,cant wait for next week:)

3rd ever track session
    6 x 1000m with 2 and a half min recovery
    1=5.08pace .64mile
    2=4.53pace .65mile
    3=5.10pace .62mile
    4=5.03pace .64mile
    5=5.08pace .63mile
    6=5.01pace .64mile
    then i done a 2 miler x 5.49+5.49 with 2 min recovery
    then i done 3 x 1 miles x 5.41,5.46,5.43 with 2 min recovery
    loved the session again,cant wait for next week:)

Did a similar 1k session and was feeling really good about myself and then saw this:(

Phenomenal running man your range is very impressive

Definitely a long to advocate that speed comes from strength

thanks ecoli
    i think all the longer stuff i have been doing has giving me a lot of strength,the one thing i have noticed on the track is when i try to kick im all over the place when running,my technique is probaly all wrong,im just bounching all over the shop and wasting energy,maybe when i do 100 or 400,800 i can work on that,if i can sort that out i will run faster for sure,jesus ecoli your on a differant level to me man.
    its crazy to think ive been running for so long and when im in the track its all new to me,its lovely to just go in and run free and happy,i have no pressure on me to hit time etc,well i will do the next time i have the same session:)

• Advertisement

Jez Ray its scary reading this log atm :eek:...... Ur in some shape.... Have u decided on a marathon to tackle in the near future ? There's a seriously quick time in u :D

well liamo,i only started doing the speed work as i wanted to speed up about another 10seconds a mile in the ultras,havnt really thought about a good marathon time,i will defintly have a go at one next year,maybe waterford as i could train on the course and no where to kick and hold back,would love to get where you got in marathon times lad,i will just keep doing the track once a week and see where it leaves me,but after 3 weeks i can already feel the gears there.c up in dublin lad:)

well liamo,i only started doing the speed work as i wanted to speed up about another 10seconds a mile in the ultras,havnt really thought about a good marathon time,i will defintly have a go at one next year,maybe waterford as i could train on the course and no where to kick and hold back,would love to get where you got in marathon times lad,i will just keep doing the track once a week and see where it leaves me,but after 3 weeks i can already feel the gears there.c up in dublin lad:)

Makes perfect sense alright Ray... Keep it up :).... Unfortunately Im out of pacing DCM.... Injury will just not fk off....Im like a drunk coming home from the pub, 1 step forward 2 steps back !! I'l b back tough sometime soon I hope :cool:

liamo123 wrote: »
    Makes perfect sense alright Ray... Keep it up :).... Unfortunately Im out of pacing DCM.... Injury will just not fk off....Im like a drunk coming home from the pub, 1 step forward 2 steps back !! I'l b back tough sometime soon I hope :cool:
    e feck so sorry to hear that,we will miss your experiance,take it easy lad,we want you in top shape for connemara:)

week 41
    mon=rest
    tue= 20 miles(10 miles x 7.16pace am + 10 miles speed session on track pm)
    wen= 17 miles(10 miles x 6.50 am +7 miles x 7.18 pace pm,i took a local lad with me for this session as he might go for 3.15 in dublin,after 2 miles i stopped for a piss and told him to carry on i will catch up,first 2 miles 7.25pace,3rd mile 7.02,4th mile 6.58,4th mile 6.55 and i still coulnt catch him,he was gone out of sight and i ran out of energy at had to walk for a half mile,a broken man.thanks dots.
    thur=13 miles x 7.18
    fri=rest
    sat= 30 miles x 7.23 pace(be doing all my runs on the coast hills so decided to run some flatish routes and ran this with no effort,the hills n and speed work are paying of)
    sun= 20 miles x 7.38pace

weeks total =100 miles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

What's your next major target? With the mileage you can churn out and now a new found ability to hammer out fast mile intervals a massive marathon pb must be on your agenda!

going to give the eddie murphy 52miler a good pop in november and 2 pacing jobs in marathons,thats it for this year,next year should be a good year,will defintley give a marathon a right go,and plenty of ultras if staying healthy and fit,the ultra running is where i want to be.

week 42
    mon= 10 miles
    tues= 10 miles x 7.19pace(missed track session with late work finish)
    wens=rest
    thurs= 20 miles x 6.42pace(was going mad i missed the track session and getting the miles in,so decided to lash a few fast ones out,struggled from mile 1 onwards,but just said to myself one more mile,the last one was the easiest one the rest were very hard)
    fri=10 miles x 7.25pace
    sat=rest(was feeling very tired)
    sun= 21miles x 7.45(the plan was to run anything from 32-50mile,but i was struggling from the first mile,done 16m on me own and then met up with a few local lads and had to cut the run short as i had nothing left in the tank:mad:

weeks total=71miles(this is something i have to watch,i have to start doing a easy week say every 4th week or so,i always seem to push on and end up overtraing,i thought i was grand running 100milers a week,but with the added speed work i think i need some recovery aswell)

You've been getting some really quality in to your training recently Ray. I can't believe the standard of speedwork you're been getting in on top of all that mileage. Seriously impressive stuff. There's a fine balance between training well and overtraining so keep an eye on that as it seems your doing. I'm really looking forward to seeing how you get on in your next race. It's going to be a blinder.

• Advertisement

had to take yesterday of to try recharge the batteries,done 10 mile earlier and still feeling tired and sore legs,but decided to go into the track tonight,4x1mile repeats,they wanted us to do them 10sec faster for each one,so i tried to do the first one 5.40,my garmin wasnt working right,it red 5.41,but it realy was 5.19,second mile,plan was 5.30,got it spot on with the garmin,but it realy was 5.18,3rd mile plan was 5.20,garmin working again,5.18,and the last lap we went for 5.25.and i came in 5.14,didnt do any more fast stuff as we had to get home straight away,but i felt realy good in there tonight,im under more control when running and feel like theres alot more to come,cant wait for monday for my first pacing duty:)

Advertisement