Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

More miles mean more improvement?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

cant wait for monday for my first pacing duty:)

Are you staying on monday for a few pints in Mcgrattans Ray?

Will be nice to meet you...

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ray lanigan

menoscemo wrote: »
    Are you staying on monday for a few pints in Mcgrattans Ray?

Will be nice to meet you...
    im afraid i cant as i have to get back home more or less straight after the race:mad:,dublin will be my 25th longdistance race witch would give me the bronze medal in the marathon club ireland,as i cant stay around i cant recieve it,will have to wait for the next one,im sure i will get to put plenty of faces to names up there before hand,c u all in dublin:)

week 43
    mon=rest
    tues=17 miles(10 miles x 7.21pace am+ 7 miles speed session track pm)
    wens=15 miles x 7.27pace
    thur=16 miles x 7.18pace
    fri=rest
    sat=22 miles x 7.42pace(very flat)
    sun=taper

weeks total 70 miles(so taper begins for mondays marathon,41 hours,the missus had a lovely can of red bull and a fry up waiting for me after todays run,not ideal carp loading but it was yum yum:D,good luck to everyone running the dublin marathon,be strong and have a blast):)

todays first pacing duty worked out great,3.14.34:),was stressfull for the first 8 mile as i didnt want to mess it up,im sorry if there was any boards runners that chatted to me on them 8 miles as i was concentrating so much on getting it right as the first mile we were at a walk with the bottle neck corner,but when we clawed back the time lost it was a absolute plessure to have been amongest the runners helping them achieve there goal,it was an honour.

would like to say well done to all the other boards pacers that done a fantastic job,i was able to put faces to most of the names on here,every one of you are a special breed,cant wait for the next one if they will have me again:)

tonights track session

ran the 7 mile into the track,done the 2 mile warm up and then the real work started,6 x 1000m,i just left the garmin of and ran on feel,found this better way to do it than the last time i ran these,they all came in between 5.03pace-5.10pace,loved this session again,my mate was there and was going to give me a lift home as it was dark,but he gave me a light and i ran the 7 miles home,so i ended up running 20mile,great training for the double marathon in 19 days time:D.

• Advertisement

week 44

mon=26 miles(dublin pacer=3.14.34:))
    tue=20 miles(warm up,track work,warm down)
    wens= 16miles x 7.58pace(legs went stiff and the last few miles were 9 min miles,cut the run short)
    thur=rest(burnt out,legs dont want to run and head doesnt want to do anything to do with running)
    fri= 38miles x 7.32pace(had to do this session for the head,it was toture,42 hills and 3 gels and a 500ml of water,if i didnt do that run i wasnt going to do the 52.4 mile ultra in 2 weeks)
    sat= 10 miles x 8.24pace(had to cut the run short burnt out)
    sun= 10 miles x 7.56pace(burnt out)

weeks total=120 miles,the plan was to run 180miles but the legs and head didnt want to no about it during the week,the best bit of advice i got before was your not ready to race again until you forget about your last one,dublin was just a training run,but i was focused on that run 100% for weeks as i didnt want to mess it up for anyone,as soon it was over i was back to training for the 52mile ultra and i lossed all focus,the head was waiting for a brake,its nearly impossible to put in the miles if the head isnt in the right place,i think the hole year has caught up with me,i havnt realy stopped,im just going to ease of for the next 2 weeks and try and get the head strong again,and hopefully the miles i have put in,end up to a good race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

There are times when you need to recharge the batteries (mentally more so than physically) one or two down weeks could be just what you need. When 120 miles is a bad week though shows your training has been savage.

While your training is amazing I think your greatest asset is your sensibility and confidence in your ability to be able to listen to your body when needed. This is a ver rare talent and one which will stand to you

track session
    2 x 2miles
    the plan was to keep these at 6min miles as im feeling burnt out
    but that went all flying out the window as soon as we strated,the coach woulnt let us were the garmins,he wanted us to run on feel
    first 2 miles was 10.41 and the second was 10.43,then i lay on the ground and nearly pucked up,i didnt have any kick in the legs on the final laps as it just wasnt there,but i defintly have improved from the first time i done these:)

week 45
    mon=rest
    tues=16 miles(10 miles x 7.20 pace am+ 6 miles track work)
    wens=15 miles x 8.18 pace
    thurs=rest
    fri= rest
    sat= 10 miles x 6.58pace
    sun= 10 miles x 8.05

weeks total= 51 miles(tapering for next weeks ultra but im realy struggling at the moment,no run feeling easy at present,usually im hopping of the road during taper,please god im ok by the time next week comes around:rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Ray,
    Very, very best of luck for next week. Sounds like you are tired at the moment so make sure to take it easy on yourself this week.
    You have done amazing work in the past few months and it definitely will all come together for you on the day. Your positive attitude and strength will ensure you a wonderful race:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Great training of late Ray, I love the fact 70 is an easy week. Good luck in the memorial.

managed to pick up a ankle injury but went into the track to see how it feels when running:rolleyes:
    4 x 1 miles repeats with 3 min recovery
    first one 5.06,decided to ease the rest of them of a bit as i could feel it,5.28,5.27,5.26,i still managed to puke me dinner up on the 3rd mile,just iced the ankle,please god its going to be ok for sundays 52miler:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Laughing at your track session. I fecking hope you felt it a bit after a 5.06 opening mile :) good luck the weekend but with your good basic speed I'd definitely consider a few shorter races over the coming months. You would hammer a good 5 or 10k

TRR wrote: »
    Laughing at your track session. I fecking hope you felt it a bit after a 5.06 opening mile :) good luck the weekend but with your good basic speed I'd definitely consider a few shorter races over the coming months. You would hammer a good 5 or 10k
    the first one was only fast because there was a lad in there thats a 4.40mile runner,and somehow found meself running along side him,it was blowing windy in there and we were both flat out near the finish i went past him on the straight and he caught me just at the finish as i just lost all form:mad:,as soon as i get this ultra out of the way i havnt any plans for a while so will try a few short races,thanks trr:)

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Best of luck tomorrow Ray.... Hope the ankle holds up... Enjoy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Jaysus Ray, this one has creeped up out of nowhere. Your training of late has been immense. Whatever pace you decide to go with tomorrow will be a Sunday stroll compared to the mile times you've been putting in recently.

Have a great race. Enjoy.

liamo123 wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow Ray.... Hope the ankle holds up... Enjoy :)
    thanks liam,the ankle is fine now,managed to put on 10lb during me taper:eek:,wont be long losing it tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 23 fjw

Best. Of luck tomorrow ray ,you know we are all behind you..miles behind you!,!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 anthony.whelan

Ray took the win today. If any one deserves it is him after the savage training he has put in all year!

Ray took the win today. If any one deserves it is him after the savage training he has put in all year!

+1
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

No surprise at all. It was inevitable with the hard work and dedication you've been putting in that race wins and podiums were sure to follow. Must have been some feeling crossing that finish line, Ray. Big time congratulations.

i have never suffered so bad in a race as i did today,from 12miles onwards the wheels started to come of,by mile 26,i was completly spent,was almost going to to stop when a fellow boards runner jumped in and started to run with me(meno)he ran with me for 8miles,i cant thank him enough for what he did,he was chaating away to me and i havnt a clue what he was saying as i was in a dark place and crying inside,ever corner i went around there was a boards runner to shout encouragement,it was like our own running club,i will thank you all when i stick up a race report in a few days.

i have never suffered so bad in a race as i did today,from 12miles onwards the wheels started to come of,by mile 26,i was completly spent,was almost going to to stop when a fellow boards runner jumped in and started to run with me(meno)he ran with me for 8miles,i cant thank him enough for what he did,he was chaating away to me and i havnt a clue what he was saying as i was in a dark place and crying inside,ever corner i went around there was a boards runner to shout encouragement,it was like our own running club,i will thank you all when i stick up a race report in a few days.

Well done Ray. I think everyone suffered today it was truly horrible conditions. 2 were hauled off the course at the end with near hypothermia. Your head must have been right screwed alright because I only did 5 mile with you :pac:

Hey Ray, I told you that fecker Don was sitting on your shoulder waiting to pounce ;)

604109_513476118671952_1214036704_n.jpg

Hey Ray, I told you that fecker Don was sitting on your shoulder waiting to pounce ;)

604109_513476118671952_1214036704_n.jpg
    hes one tough lad,he ran his fastest ever marathon in the first half of the race,he would make mince meat of me over 100miles,love the picture,i was taking gels during the race he was eating choc mice:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NoGutsNoGlory

what happened ray... the high training mileage catch up on you?? well done on the win ..

what happened ray... the high training mileage catch up on you?? well done on the win ..
    i think ive went to the bottom of the well to many times this year and this time it was empty,im trying to right down a race report at the moment and havnt the energy to think straight,it will take a few days,jesus i thought if i ever won a race i would run threw a wall, roll on the ground and cry,it was strange i didnt feel any joy and still dont.i have found out that ultra running is not about winning,its about a journey to find who u are,its about meeting new people and making new friend,when the going got tough out there everyone of us was in a battle and i would of gave the win away just to help someone else get over the line.
    i got that feeling when i paced dublin a few weeks back,i was never so happy that day.
    if anyone ever reads this thats not a runner, your missing out big time,i was blown away at how kind and friendly people are in the running community,i realy still feel overwellmed by what i experienced at the race,people like meno,tom,sue,there was me not able to string a word together in the last few hours of the race and pat o keef was there giving everyone smiles and encouragement and hes going threw the same pain as me,amman and anto every time we passed you just had a smile on your face,frank still cracking jokes and one liners and helping another ultra runner along during the race.unbelivable people,that we could all learn from.

if anyone ever reads this thats not a runner, your missing out big time,i was blown away at how kind and friendly people are in the running community,i realy still feel overwellmed by what i experienced at the race,people like meno,tom,sue,

:o
    Jesus Ray I was just being selfish jumping in with you, I just wanted to say I ran a few miles with a legend. It was a total pleasure for me.
    You were actually chatty enough. I could tell you were suffering but you are some man for putting on a poker face in a race. I loved how you stuck behind Arthur the 2nd placed lad and refused to lap him for a second time in case he got ideas and tried to come back at you :D
    Poor lad Arthur, his chip must have failed because he doesn't seem to have an official result. Feel bad for him after all he put in. I hope they fix that result for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

For a man in as much pain as you are saying, you still ran the last mile quicker than the guy who won the marathon ran his last mile. Takes a lot of strength to dig deep and do that when 20 minutes ahead in a race.

• Advertisement

For a man in as much pain as you are saying, you still ran the last mile quicker than the guy who won the marathon ran his last mile. Takes a lot of strength to dig deep and do that when 20 minutes ahead in a race.

The marathon winner ran the first 10 miles @ 5:40 pace. He is a 69 min half runner, but seems to have some endurance issues. He was literally treading on treacle for the last few miles and if it had been a few more miles to do I am pretty sure the 2nd place runner would have caught him (he unlapped himself in the penultimate lap.)
    That said the conditions were terrible for everyone and the hill that you had to take every lap slowly but surely becomes a killer. The second placed guy in the Marathon took over 3hours and he has a recent PB of 2:44 so that should give you some Idea of how hard the course was/is.

:o
    Jesus Ray I was just being selfish jumping in with you, I just wanted to say I ran a few miles with a legend. It was a total pleasure for me.
    You were actually chatty enough. I could tell you were suffering but you are some man for putting on a poker face in a race. I loved how you stuck behind Arthur the 2nd placed lad and refused to lap him for a second time in case he got ideas and tried to come back at you :D
    Poor lad Arthur, his chip must have failed because he doesn't seem to have an official result. Feel bad for him after all he put in. I hope they fix that result for him.
    when arthur stopped for a drink i snuck past him:D and kicked as far ahead as him as possible,i hope they sort out his time,i just notiched i still have my timing chip on me shoes.

i think i had 4 laps on the second guy near the end and was thinking about walking the last few laps,but you have to give your all even in a struggle and my goal time was well gone out the window,so i ran the last to laps for my two daughters:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

That said the conditions were terrible for everyone and the hill that you had to take every lap slowly but surely becomes a killer. The second placed guy in the Marathon took over 3hours and he has a recent PB of 2:44 so that should give you some Idea of how hard the course was/is.

I figured something like that. I wasn't having a go at the marathon times, just admiring the mental strength from Ray.

first post in 6 months as ive been out injured,stuburnly ran a marathon only 5 days after the eddie murphy memorial and was injured a mile into the run but carried on,ended up with 5 different injurys on the left leg,got the go ahead to run again,jesus running isnt as easy as i remember,i suppose 2 extra stone on me hasnt helped,its going to be a long road back to where i was but one im prepared to take.i ran a 10 mile run this week and it felt a long way,funny how the mind goes.going to take the millage handy for another few weeks and see how the knee etc holds up.got 51 mile in this week,happy with that,im sure it will start shifting some of my excess weight,going to enter a ultra today so i can get my teeth into and the head focused again as its been 6 months of hell.when i was fit i didnt relise how fit i was but when your unfit you deffintly relise how unfit you are.

first post in 6 months as ive been out injured,stuburnly ran a marathon only 5 days after the eddie murphy memorial and was injured a mile into the run but carried on,ended up with 5 different injurys on the left leg,got the go ahead to run again,jesus running isnt as easy as i remember,i suppose 2 extra stone on me hasnt helped,its going to be a long road back to where i was but one im prepared to take.i ran a 10 mile run this week and it felt a long way,funny how the mind goes.going to take the millage handy for another few weeks and see how the knee etc holds up.got 51 mile in this week,happy with that,im sure it will start shifting some of my excess weight,going to enter a ultra today so i can get my teeth into and the head focused again as its been 6 months of hell.when i was fit i didnt relise how fit i was but when your unfit you deffintly relise how unfit you are.

Welcome back:D We missed you. Wishing you all the very best on your road back to full fitness. It may seem like you have a long way to go but you'll gradually return to where you were and before you know it you'll be running better than you ever were.

• Advertisement

Marthastew wrote: »
    Welcome back:D We missed you. Wishing you all the very best on your road back to full fitness. It may seem like you have a long way to go but you'll gradually return to where you were and before you know it you'll be running better than you ever were.

+1 to that. I don't nearly get my fill of astonishment reading through the logs these days. Those sessions you were putting in on top of the 100+ weekly mileage were phenomenal. You know what you're capable of now so it shouldn't be too long till you're back to top form.

cheers for the kind comments,its good to be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Amen Brother!!!! Great 2 c u back.. In similar situation atm , out for months with knee injury that eventually required surgery so not quiet ready to resume training yet.....Only thing on my mind is those beautiful hills of Conn next April ;)

liamo123 wrote: »
    Amen Brother!!!! Great 2 c u back.. In similar situation atm , out for months with knee injury that eventually required surgery so not quiet ready to resume training yet.....Only thing on my mind is those beautiful hills of Conn next April ;)
    use the time out to get the core strong liam,will make a big differance when your ready to run again,cant wait to race with ya again:)

3rd week back running now,managed my biggest millage of the year of 52miles.
    still a few problems with my leg but as soon as i feel it i take a day of witch cost me 2 days this week,but so happy to be able to run free again
    mon=rest
    tue=8 miles x 8.30 pace
    wens=9 miles x 7.04pace
    thurs=rest
    fri=8 miles
    sat=13miles x 8.20pace
    sun=14miles x 6.53pace

weeks total=52 miles
    just entered the waterford marathon on friday so a race in time to get fit for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Grellan

Hopefully I'll see you in Waterford Ray. Grellan.

you sure will grellan,your doing some impresive running there lately,keep it up lad,big things to come

mon=8 miles x 7.40 pace
    tues=6 miles x 6.44 pace
    wens=rest
    thurs=10 miles x 6.42pace
    fri=8miles x 7.06pace
    sat=rest
    sun=21 miles x 7.39 pace(thats my long run sorted for saturdays marathon,left it abit late)

weeks total= 53miles

You're not long before you are back in shape Ray :eek:

Looks like we'll be pacing together in DCM, looking forward to catching up!!
    Best of luck in Waterford at the weekend. What kind of time are you aimng for?

well meno,hope all is well with you,im going to go for a sub 2.50 on saturday:D2014,not realy sure what time to run it,not sure where my fitness is at,maybe 3.15-3.20,its only going to b a training run as ive a couple of ultras coming up soon enough:),looking forward to dublin alright,was a plessure to pace it last year.

What's the goal race? Dingle 50 again?

would love to give it a good go this year,didnt get the taper right last year for it,only got the benefits from all the training a week after the race,going to do the achill island ultra and then dingle but its a race against time to get in the kind of shape i want to race them,i wish i could go out and start hammering the training miles out but im afraid i might get injured again,all i can do is keep tipping away and fingers crossed it all comes together meno,any plans yourself.

Just working away at the shorter distances Ray. Want to get a good solid Half Marathon time in before DCM to set me up for a sub 3 marathon next spring. Ran 3:04 last April and don't want to race another one until I have a good chance...

PLEASE DONT TRY THIS AT HOME KIDS

WATERFORD MARATHON
    with 6 months out injured probaly not the best thing to do was enter a marathon after 4 weeks of training but what the heck i coulnt miss my local one,and with 6 months out injured probaly not the best idea to try a 2.59 finish but i had to try.i no i wasnt in shape but i just love to push myself.after years of running well inmyself i believe how can you no how good you can be unless you get out of your comfort zone and start taking risks,so 2.59 would be some challange,but i loved the thought of it,so i stood at the start line and of we went,the first 5 miles felt handy and we were 21seconds up,than i started to feel the pace a little as we were running into a head wind.i had my gels stored at mile 10,so at mile 9 i pushed on as i was going to stop for a piss and collect my gels,as i was doing me bizzness the gang flew past me and i took so long the pulled about 40 seconds ahead and it was near the start of a little climb so i had to push my pace to a 6mile mile to catch up.it took me a mile and a half to catch up and when i did we where now 46seconds up,but the the pacer just uped the pace to a 6.30odd and afew of us started to suffer and he didnt slow down.we were a group of 12 or so and now he had 5 and the rest where around me.i told them how much we were ahead and the pacer was all of a sudden a good 30 seconds ahead now and i was still running a 6.43 mile,he looked back just before his change over and should of slowed down but out comes the next pacer and he wasnt slowing either and we where all burned of but still 49
    seconds on target ,the pacers target was a 2.59.20 finish so why so far ahead a half way on we just ran the hardest part of the course and into a head wind,the second part of the course we would have the tail wind and there a mile and a half downhill finish,if anything i would of kept the group together and even ran the first half slower so we were all together and feed of each other,here we where 40odd seconds on target and the pacer way ahead but that mentally breaks people,by the time mile 16 came i had given everything i had and stopped dead on the road my hamstrings had locked tight,i started walking and a half mile later got going again a nd ran for a mile and a half

but my pace was almost 8 min mile,i just keeped repeating this but at mile 20 istarted to get dizzy and a coulnt think straight bur carried on then at mile 24 i started pucking up and felt grand again and ran the 25th and 26 mile at sub 3 hr pace and even the last .42mile at 6.32pace as the course was a little over with cost my mate a new pb but he still managed 6th place and the over 40s title again from last year.i got talking to a lad after and he said nobody came in with the 3hr pacers,all got burned off:mad:.that marathon was the hardest thing i ever done even harder than my first marathon and miles harder than any ultra i ever done.the got great attion from the medical crew after the race as imust of looked bad,i was very confuzed for about a hour after but as soon as i started eating i felt better again,when i webt to bed i said to myself when i wake up in the morning my legs will be in a bad way,but there perfect and the best thing of all is none of my now distant injurys are all fine,so now im offialy back to start hammering the training again,cant wait till im fit again and flying again:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement