Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

More miles mean more improvement?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Hi Ray.

Great to see you back. I missed your log. When I first started reading it a while back I honestly thought it was a piss take I couldn't believe the mileage you were putting in, over time I gradually realised through race results etc that you were genuine.

Then you started doing speed sessions and they blew my mind. I think at the time you were aiming for sub 3hr marathon but your training paces and speed sessions pointed towards a man in sub 2.30 shape.

Anyway I was sad to see you get ill and in hindsight I think you will agree you pushed a little too hard at the wrong time and your body had a little physical breakdown. The point I'm trying to make is you may be feeling fine today and even tomorrow but by the sounds of things you went through a mini trauma yesterday. Might sound dramatic but every marathon regardless of pace etc is traumatic on the body. One a scale of 1 to 10 based on what you've written I'd give you a trauma score of 8.5. That's too high and shouldn't be ignored. You should definitely give yourself a few days to recover. You need to look at the bigger picture. Have you got a 6 month goal? If not set one today! It will take a while for you to comfortably get back to 100 mile weeks. Take your time and don't push yourself too hard.

All of the above is just my opinion of course but based on what you've written if I were your coach you would be doing 2 weeks of very very easy running and nothing over 50 minutes, maybe an hour at the weekend!

Good luck and hope you don't mind me throwing my oar in!

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ray lanigan

thanks TRR
    some great addvice there,i have no muscle sorness but still feeling pretty exausted for sure,so what your saying is spot on,im not going to run again until thursday and take it easy for the rest of the week,i havnt set a goal realy for six months but want to be back running ultras in the next 8 weeks,im not going to do the training like i was last year until the start of next year,just going to take things slowly for once,as you said it will defintly take awhile to be running 100miles a week again comfortly,thanks again and keep up the great work.

mon=rest
    tues=rest
    wens= 17 miles(10miles x 7.13 am +7 miles pm)
    thurs=18 miles(10 miles am + 8miles x 7.59pace pm)
    fri=3 miles(planned to run home from work and got a real bad sugar low and had to thumb a lift home)
    sat=20 milesx 7.29 pace(plan was to do 27mile but cant seem to find any energy)sorry TRR
    sun=rest

weeks total=58miles(still the most miles i have ran in a week since last november,but jesus im miles apart from where i used to be,very frustrating but its going to take time to build up all the tools i had,leg strength,weight down.confidence,fitness and the biggest one is to get my head mentally very strong again,and that only comes when you put the hert on in training to the point it starts to feel normal.NO PAIN NO GAIN.

mon=14 miles x 7.55pace
    tue=16 miles(8miles x 7.14pace am + 8 miles pm)
    wens=8 miles
    thur=17 miles x 7.25
    fri=5miles(the top of my calf just locked up on me and was very sore to run so stopped incase it got worse.called the physio:mad:)
    sat=injured,got session with the physio,nothing to bad,just very tight.
    sun=rest injury.
    weeks total= 60miles,was planning to run 100miles but the little injury pulled me back down to earth.will give it a go tomorrow,its feeling great now but wont really no until i run on it,fingers croosed).

mon=8 miles x 7.16pace(calf injury again,physio)
    tues=injured
    wens=8 miles x 7.18pace
    thurs=injured
    fri=injured
    sat=15 miles x 7.18pace on coast hills(headed out at midday when it was warm,ah its only 15miles wont bother with water etc,jesus it nearly killed me,pucked on myself coming in the door it took so much out of me)but for the first time since last november i felt like im back.lost 8lb weight nice bonus.
    sun=20 miles x 7.28pace on the coast hills,learnt from yesterday and wore a back pack with a gel and 2 bottles of water,way easier:)

weeks total=51 miles(during the week i was wondering will i ever be able to run like i used to with all these injurys,but felt like i turned a corner over the weekend,im a happy bunny for once).

mon=15 miles(8x7.26pace am +7miles x 7.57pm)
    tues=10 miles x 7.20
    wens=13miles x 7.37
    thurs=20 miles(7 miles am +13miles x 7.19)
    fri=12 miles x 7.25
    sat=1o miles x 7.52(had a physio session at 9.15 am and wanted to hit 100miles for the week so the misses caught me heading out the front door in my running gear at 4.10am,she wasnt impressed.plan was to hit 30mile for the 100m for the week.had a problem with my IT band at 7 miles and pushed it out to 10miles in a lot of pain,physio tore the leg of me for a hour,never went through pain like that before,he said my muscles were like tried prunes because i havnt been taking enough fluids,wont happen again,started stretching twice daily now as ive never stetched before,could be the cause of my injurys latley,think i might just knock the idea of running any ultras again this year as im battering myself to early and im just not strong enough to handle the type of training i need to do,im putting myself under to much pressure and it takes time to get right again,might just train away do a few marathons to get strong again and then make 2014 a big year.i used to run 100+miles aweek with no hassel last year and didnt think nothing of it but i tell you when your not strong it realy hard work so ive some massive respect for the 22runners that ran 100+miles in the belfast 24hr last week and to all that completed the 10 in 10.BIG RESPECT.
    weeks total=80 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 23 fjw

So that was what the shriek was at 4.10 the other morning, do you sleep in your running gear... Get yourself back to running marathons comfortably before you try the ultras.aim for a pb in a marathon early spring and hit the ultras after that.listen to your body and build yourself back up. Your head still has the hunger so it's only a matter of getting the body right.

mon=10 miles
    tue=14 miles
    wens=16 miles
    thurs=rest
    fri=18 miles,5 x 6.47pace
    sat=21 miles x 7.25pace
    sun=only needed to run 21mile for 100 mile for the week but my weak mind wasn't able for it,0 miles
    weeks total 79miles

mon=10 miles
    tue=8 miles x 7.26pace
    wens=10 miles
    thurs=13miles.5 x .56miles in 3min with 90sec recovery
    fri=8miles
    sat=31 miles on the hills x 7.21pace
    sun=20 miles

weeks total =100miles.over the moon with that.saturdays run was a test run at 7.30pace on the hills,if I could do it I was running the ultra in achill if not I was dropping back to the marathon,got to the marathon point 4 min faster than Waterford marathon and feeling good and strong,one thing I have been struggling with since ive been back is getting my upper body working in rythem with my lower body,but after a little speed session on Thursday thanks to mr weir it finally came back,im relaxed again and cruising a little again,roll on achill,things starting to go in the right direction again.yeeeehaaaaaaaaaa

• Advertisement

mon=10 miles x 7.17pace
    tue=rest
    wens=10 miles x 6.54pace
    thurs=8 miles,1 miles warm up,6 x .56mile in 3min with 90sec recovery,4 mile cool down
    fri=rest
    sat=rest
    sun=22 miles x 7.23pace

weeks total=50 miles,plan was to run 100mile this week but i was feeling fit last week so decided to ease of on the miles as achill ultra next week,not sure if i made the right choice as havnt felt great running this week.nothing i can do about it now,will do my best to get my head in the zone all week now before the roads of achill bring on the suffering,looking forward to the fight,its been awhile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Well done - great win today on a tough course - Achill obliged with the rain & a bit of wind too to add to it !

mon=rest
    tues=6 miles x 6.34pace
    wens=rest
    thurs=5 miles,2 mile warm up and 6x3min with 90 sec recovery
    fri=rest
    sat=39.3 miles achill ultra
    sun=to sore to run,haha

weeks total=50miles,race report to follow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Well done ray, excellent performance

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Well done ray, excellent performance

cheers lad.well done yourself

mon=rest
    tues=rest
    wens=rest
    thurs=12 miles
    fri=8 miles
    sat=10 miles x 7.26pace
    sun=21 miles

weeks total=51miles.this week was a recovery week and next week will be the same.then i will kill myself for 4 or 5 weeks and than taper for dublin and the 100k race.

• Advertisement

ACHILL ISLAND ULTRA

so of we headed in the car.me,dave,ian and our co pilot austin.we left at 2 oclock to give our selves some extra time just incase as regerstation for the race was from 6 to 8pm.so after getting lost 3 times we were now not going to make it in time,i gave the race organiser a text to ask him whats the latest he would be in mcgloughlins pub,he said 9pm.we arived outside the pub at 8.59,just in time.inside we went and i got my bib number 1,don was very kind to keep this bib number for me,i felt under some pressure all week as i knew from a conversation a week out he told me he kept that bib number specialally for me.what happend next was not in the script,dave walked up also running the ultra and got bib number 11,than austin walked up,he was running the half and got bib number 111,poor ian just got 24,he was running the ultra but moved back to the marathon as injury prevented him to get the miles in.
    time for dinner now and the only place open was a indian take away,all the lads got pizza and i tried to ask for the healthy opthion of just rice,veg and chicken but the poor indian lady coulnt realy understand what i wanted and ended up with curry all over it,was very nice all the same but new in the morning i would be in the jax a few times.
    of we went and up to our hotel room,when i booked this hotel i asked the lad on the phone you can stick us anywhere,even double beds if you like,he burst out laughing saying a coulnt do that to ya,i ment to say double rooms.so i got my gear ready for the morning,ian and dave headed of for a few pints,so up we got.weather looked great,had me breakfest and headed up to the start,met don caroline and donna two sisters you are the race organisers aswell.these two sister came 3rd and 4th in the belfast 24hr irish championship race and each ran over the 100mile mark,amazing achievement and it was a honour to be in such company,don also played his part in there sucsess as he trains both of them,the amazing thing is the furthest they had ever ran was a half marathon ,so in the space of less than a year thye achived this amazing feet.
    so we all got ready at the start line,i stood back from the front but everyone else just went behind me and i found myself at the front with eveyone else a meter or two back.my plan was to run almost 7.30 pace all the way,but if nobody was going to take the lead maybe i could take advantage of this and power on,so the count down came and the music was pumping out and i could feel the energy flowing through me,i was in a beutifuul place in my head,free and ready to run,it had been a long road getting to this start line and now i was ready for take off.

of we went and i took the lead,there was a lad cycling just ahead of me and i started to follow him,after a half mile i had to stop as i was wearing the wrong socks,the were angle socks,i had brung the wrong ones,and had to pull them up again,i cursed myself that the would be doing this all day,took a quick look at my watch and the pace was 6.42,ok ray time to pull it back to 7.30.so i eased it back and followed the lad on the bike,the i had a quick panic as i wondered was he anything to do with the race or am i just following some randon person but i looked behind and seen afew lad behind me,ok your going the right way,mile two came just as don was hammering the 2 mile marker into the ground,i had a great laugh at this,i had a quick joke with him that i would race him to mile 3 and just as i came to mile 3 he jumped out of a van and hammered in the mile 3 marker and then the same thing happened at mile 4,i was in stitches at this stage with laughter,that was the last i say of him for awile,took a quick check on my garmin and i was running around 7.05 pace,so i tried to slow it back down for a mile and when i checked again it was 6.57,i was just running free and happy,a magic feeling,ok plan gone out the window,new plan just run but dont leave the pace go slower than 7.30.after mile five a looked behind and there was nobody behind me so just ran on.john on the bike asked me if i was ok for water and i said im ok and we had a quick chat.i have a problem around tramore when i ever see someone on a bike ridding up a hill i try to race them up the hill.all of a sudden i was doing the same to john,tearing up the few inclines,ok ray hes not in the race so cop on hear lad,i asked him about the hills coming up and he said there hard enough,i was looking forward to these hills,earlier in the week austin our co pilot text me saying the course is realy flat,but i gave don a ring and he said no ray theres plenty of them on the cousre,i was very happy when he told me this,when i first started running i hated hills,to over come this problem i ran up and down them almost every day,now i have a sick fetish for them.

so just in frond of me was the first big hill,it looked amazing,everywhere i looked was rugged coastline,just out of this world,over the first hill and the sinery was even better,sheep running out in front of me,more about them later,over the second climb and then john said wait until you see this cork scew down hill bit,it was crazy down hill section,left rightleft right,amazing them john said to me the next hill looks nothing but its the worst one,yes it was very tough but i powered up it handy enough,i said to john it was tough but it will be tougher on the next lap ad the last one it will be a killer and he just laughed.there was a turn around section here and a started counting from a certion point how far 2nd and 3rd palce are behind me,i worked it out as 3 min second and 6 min 3rd,i was even able to work out there paces,7.30pace second and around 8 min 3rd and 4th.over mile ten i went and it was down hill from here,took my first gel with caffine,i had not had caffine for 3 weeks and when i took this i got some buzz,reminded me of my tecno rave days,haha.i met caroline and donna over the course in there van shouting encouragement to eveyone,its a great help when theres support there.mile 13 came and i came into the end of the first lap and the lad on the mic was shouting heres the leader in the ultra race,everyone was clapping and the feeling i got was out of this world,i could of ran through a brick wall there and woulnt of stoped,austin was there and ian and were taking pictures,i ran towards austin who told me it was flat,and laughed at him and said your in for a lot of pain,i grabbed my back pack and of i went,put my hat on and began the second lap,the second lap went the same as the first one only differance was the hills very a big harder toget up. when i got to the the turn around section i was now 7 min up on second,i gave him a wave to let him no i was there and to let him no i was further ahead so he woulnt get any bright ideas .so of i went on the 3rd lap,i came trough the first lap in 1hr33 and the marathon point in 3hr8min bang on,a little faster than my 7.30 pace,a feck it i was having so much fun out there.than at mile 27 i started to fell the pace as the wind picked up alot and the rain was pelting down,miles 27 to 30 felt like i was running for 3 hours,up to mile27 only felt like min,it was a real struggle now and the lack of only a few long runs were having there afect not only on my leg speed but with my head as well.i checked my watch at mile 32 and it was 8.12pace **** race if second is only 7 min behind you and he runs 7.30pace and you stay at 8 min your a gonner.so i started pushing with everything i had,all i had to do is make it up the last hill with a 3 min lead and you will win this,i was so gone now,energy was low,mind panicing and legs moving slow,you cant stop just keep pushing on,all of a sunned i was on the second hill and i could here the sheep saying gggggooooooooooo rrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy,what is there talking sheep up this end of ireland.than cam the next hill and i could hear the sheep saying gggggggggoooooooooooooo ooooooooooonnnnn rrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy.the last hill came i was now at a crawling pace going up it and shouted at myself just make it up come on you can do it,i got to the top and lokked down,2nd place was nowere to be seen,i then relised i just won the race,only 3 miles to go and my pace just picked up again to 7.30,back to the plan,john said caroline had asked him to cycle just ahead of the ultra leader,the wont be running that fast,but he told me i had him under pressure a few times coming the hills,and i have inspired him to run a ultra in the near future.the finish was a mile in sight now and don high fived me out the window and congradulated me,i said to him never again am i running one of theses again as i just had gone trough hell on that last lap.the finish was in sight now and i just gave it everything i had,threw my had in the air closed my eyes and was glad the suffering was over and my leg buggeled from under me and almost fell over.but id was over.i stopped my watch and got a pb by 12 seconds,that was not planned it just worked out that way,donna was there to hand me a beutifull trophey and everyone conradulated me.amazing feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Mrs Docjewel

Brilliant report Ray, nearly choked on my dinner!!

i went over to change in a tent and a lady just came up to me and said would you like to have a wash and get changed in my house over the road,yep would love too,over i went and she showed me her bathroom,there was a candle lighting and was wonerding was that all i was in for,jumped into the bath and had a cold bath,was very gratfull a random person would leave me use her bathroom.over to the start line i went and 2nd place was just finished,i said very well done to him,in the end he was 12min behind me,he was also suffering out there now i waited for 3rd place aswell mark.m hes a tough lad and even had ran the quadratons the weekend before,i was hungry now,someone told me if you go over to the centre you can get hot soup and rolls,but if i went off i would miss the lads finishing there races,i was now just foccused on being there for when they came over the line as they showed me great support all day,first over was austin in a very impressive half marathon finish and yes he did have pain on that flat course,i let him go for his own hot soup and rolls and i stayed for ian to finish,ian finished well and austin came back and now let me go down.i nearly ate the fingers of meself down at the centre.came back up and congraduladed all the boards finishers and everyone else.this was the first race were my watch beebed at every mile post,it was the most senic race i ever ran,the hardest course i ever ran,and the people were so friendly and supportive,i will be back again and again for sure,this is a special race and will grow to be a massive race on the calender.my time was nothing special but it also was a tough course,i would love to see someone come next year and brake 4hr30.thats my dream goal time.would like to say well done to jp who ran the ultra and a massive well done to dave sheridain.i didnt go on about him in this report as he has his own blog on here and what he done on the day i have seen from veru few people and deserves his own words to descibe his epic journey.thanks don,donna and caroline for a wonderfull time.see you next year to do it all over again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Insane1

That was a mind blowing performance Ray on a super tough course. What I find so amazing is that no matter how hard you are pushing or how much you are suffering you've always got tons of encouragement for everyone else! Super Well done on an epic win. Really enjoyed the race report too! Bbbaaaaaaahhh Lllleeeeggeeennddd!!! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7 grizzlynorris

Well done Ray,

Great Race Report.
    Brilliant to see you back Racing and winning again.
    Watch out for those sheep next year.. Heeeesss beeehind yeeeeewwww:D

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

....here,took my first gel with caffine,i had not had caffine for 3 weeks and when i took this i got some buzz,reminded me of my tecno rave days,...... and i could here the sheep saying gggggooooooooooo rrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy,what is there talking sheep up this end of ireland......amazing feeling.
    Must try those caffine gels sometime:). Well done Ray, the report was as good as the performance.....dreamy.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12 anthony.whelan

Gas report Ray! Steer clear of them sheep lad it looks like they have a fondness for you! Well done

mon=8 miles x 7.27pace
    tues=8 miles
    wens= 10 miles
    thurs=4 miles,1 mile warm up and 6 x 3 min with 90 sec recovery, 4.55pace to 5.27pace
    fri=8miles
    sat= 25 miles x 7.24pace
    sun=rest

weeks total=63 miles,thats the recovery over with now from the recent ultra,time to kill myself for 5 to 6 weeks,bring on the hills,speed work and long long miles.

mon=18 miles,8 miles am, 10 miles pm 8x 6.21pace
    tue=14miles,6 miles am x 7.21pace,8 miles hill work x 7.40pace
    wens=rest
    thurs=8 miles am,5 miles pm speed work and warm up,5 x 4 min with 2min recovery.5.12 pace to 5.36pace
    fri=8 miles x 7.29
    sat=25miles ,almost killed me
    sun=22 miles x 8.17pace

weeks total=100miles,thats the start of a 6 week hard training program down,5 to go.

mon= 10 miles x 7.29pace
    tues=10 miles x 7.17pace
    wens=rest
    thurs=20 miles,8 miles am,9 miles x 7.07pacepm,3 miles speed work.1x1min 5.36pace,1x2min 5.30pace,1x3min 5.32pace,1x4min 5.31pace,1x3min 5.34pace,1x2min 5.12pace,1x1min 4.26pace.rest varied from 45sec to 90secs.
    fri=10miles x 7.20pace
    sat=30 miles x7.49pace,found this run very hard but took plenty of supplies with me and got it done in the end
    sun=20 miles

weeks total=100miles,i have a quiet period of work coming up so im hoping the extra rest will drive on my long runs,another 100mile week down,another 4 togo before i give this 100k a go.

mon=10 miles x 7.19pace
    tues=10miles x 7.40pace
    wens=8 miles x 7.46pace
    thurs=11miles, 8 x 6.41pace than straight away 5 x 3min with 9osec recovery,4.55pace to 5.29 pace.
    fri=rest
    sat= 31miles x 7.24pace,half on the coast hills
    sun= 30 miles x 7.48pace,coast hills

weeks total=100miles,tried a different plan on the long runs this week,no gels or food,just a carb drink,cant believe the results,yesterday i struggeled when i hit the 25mile point but the pace never dropped and today struggled up to about 17miles and than got stronger and stronger as i went on,i think it took the body a while to cop on to no gels etc,amazing results.

mon= 10 miles x 7.15 pace
    tue=10 miles x 8.15 pace
    wens= 18 miles x 7.11 pace
    thurs=rest
    fri= 10 miles
    sat=26.4 miles,wexford surf and turf trail marathon in 3hr 05min. 1st marathon win
    sun= 26miles x 8.00pace

weeks total= 100 miles,only one more week of long runs left and im going to start tapering of for this 100k,

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

sat=26.4 miles,wexford surf and turf trail marathon in 3hr 05min. 1st marathon win
    sun= 26miles x 8.00pace
    Holy moly, that's some weekend!

• Advertisement

cianc wrote: »
    Holy moly, that's some weekend!

holy moly,im glad its over,today was painfull from the get go,two toenails hanging off

mon=10 miles x 8.19pace
    tues=1o miles x 7.14pace on hills,helping a friend with his pacing for dublin,sub 3.10
    wens=10 miles x 7.14pace on hills,helped a different lad with his pacing,sub 3.10
    thurs=14 miles,11 miles x 7.29pace on hills helped another two people with there pacing for dublin,3 miles speed work,4 x 3min with 90 sec recovery 5.12 to 5.29pace,1 x 2min x 4.54pace,2 x 3min x 5.07 to 5.17pace with 90 sec recovery,1 x 1min x 4.34pace
    fri=rest
    sat=43 miles on the coast hills x 7.48pace
    sun=13 miles x 7.55pace

weeks total=100miles,thats my 5 week block of 100 mile weeks done,now time to taper a reap the rewards of the hard work put in.bring on this 100k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

What's the plan for the taper?
    I'd love to see you have a bash at a short (5-10k) race. I reckon you'd surprise yourself....anything local to you next weekend?

menoscemo wrote: »
    What's the plan for the taper?
    I'd love to see you have a bash at a short (5-10k) race. I reckon you'd surprise yourself....anything local to you next weekend?

well meno
    taper 60 0r 70 this week
    next week 30 or 40
    final week dublin marathon and a 6 miler the same week than 100k:)

never thought about a quick shorter race,next year i might go for a good marathon time and when training for that will try all the shorter distances,but ya no me im loving the longer distances so might never get around to it.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Great training as per usual Ray... Where's the 100k?

liamo123 wrote: »
    Great training as per usual Ray... Where's the 100k?

hows things liam?
    the 100k is on in the uk,huddersfield whiteroseultra,it was 50%road and 50% trail.but the route has been changed now to 80% trail and 9000ft of climbing.and now we have to carry a emergency pack,light,change clothes,waterproofs,whistle,phone etc and carry a card that we have to get stamped every 5 miles,all these late change have me up in a heap.i dont even own a pair of trail shoes:),but will go there lad a give it all i have.

mon=rest
    tues=10 miles x 7.02pace
    wens=10 miles x 7.31pace
    thurs=9miles, 6miles x 7.06pace+3 x 3minx 5.27pace,1 x 4minx5.20.1 x 3min x 5.27, 1 x 2min x 5.24.1x 1 min x 4.34
    fri=rest
    sat=7 miles x 8.18pace,had a 20 mile planned but felt realy tired so called it a day
    sun=10miles x 7.53pace,had another 24 mile run planned but was feeling very weak so called it a day

weeks total=46miles,pissed of i didnt hit the 60 t0 70 i had planned but feeling not right at the minute,got to listen to my body and back off when im feeling like this,monday week is dublin marathon and the 100k only 5 days after that so the rest will be a better option.

mon=rest
    tues=10 miles x 7.27pace
    wens=rest
    thurs=13 miles,10 x 7.20pace, 3miles x speed work
    fri=rest
    sat=7 miles
    sun = rest

weeks total=30miles,each run im strating to feel abit better,still not back to myself again but getting there with the rest,body feels like im not a runner anymore with all the time off,dublin marathon on monday and cant wait then more taper for next weeks 100k,forcast for tha race is 5 days rain leeding up to it,not good for a 80% trail and dont even own a pair of trail shoes.just ordered a cheap pair a second ago of sportshoes.com,be a bit of luck if i get them next week,might be running in my road shoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

best of luck at the weekend ray.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

blockic wrote: »
    best of luck at the weekend ray.

+1 Good luck Ray!! Hope you got your trail shoes...

menoscemo wrote: »
    +1 Good luck Ray!! Hope you got your trail shoes...

cheers lads,yep just got them in time,cant wait now:)

mon=26 miles, dublin pacing,felt very tired the hole way,but was a plessure to help the pacess around
    tue=rest
    wens=rest
    thurs=rest
    fri=rest
    sat=rest
    sun = 66 miles,white rose ultra,1st place,was the hardest thing i ever done but loved it.report to follow when i can walk properly again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Congrats ray!

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

sun = 66 miles,white rose ultra,1st place,was the hardest thing i ever done but loved it.report to follow when i can walk properly again.
    You don't need your legs to type :D
    Brilliant stuff, looking forward to the report.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Congrats!
    Sher just buy a pair of trail shoes the week of the race and head over and beat them all in a 100km trail race. Unreal stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Legend :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

devastatingly casual, maximum effect. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Well done Ray. I was following the updates on Facebook, sounded tough alright. Congrats on the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Well done Son......... Super stuff

WHITE ROSE ULTRA 100K

after been out injured for so long i was having trouble getting fit to race a ultra this year,dingle i wanted to do but i could of easily ended up injured again trying to get into shape to race a 50miler so instead i raced achill instead,was lucky to win that race as i wasnt fully fit but still gave it everything i had,so when achill was over and dingle less than two weeks i wasnt going to risk it.
    last year i was racing to soon after each race so i was very caustous not to make that mistake again,so dingle came and passed and i wished i had of been there.(next year for sure)

in the mean time i needed something to get my teeth into so i called my ultra runner friend dave and said to him go online and have a look for a good ultra in the u.k,what distance he said,anything over 50mile or 60mile
    later that evening dave wrong me backand said the white rose ultra looks brillant.the only question i asked him was do we need to navogate in the race,no not at all he repied,ok im in i said,had a quick look online and within 15min we were already planning our journey for our first 100k ultra race.

so i han 8 weeks training to get into shape for it,i was already in ok shape from achill island ultra and had two easy weeks recovery from it so decided to train hard for 5 weeks and than do a good 3 weeks taper for it,last year i trained like a animal for dingle running up to 150mile a week but only taper 10 days out and a week after dingle was over i only got the benefits from all that milage,i was running on clouds for a few weeks.so a 3 week taper this time sounded like a good plan to be nice and fresh for my first 100k,i also had planned to be a pacer for the dublin city marathon 5 days before the 100k so had to take that into account aswell.

the 5 weeks training i put in were 5 x 100mile weeks.because i was out injured for so long i wasnt going to risk running anything over 100miles a week but instead added a bit more quality instead of just loads of junk miles like last year,so 5 weeks came and passed,done some great training and pushed through the pain and suffering and was feeling very fit.

while i was training for this race we had a great group running together,there was 4 other friend running the dublin marathon so they ran with me on alot of long runs and some speed sessions,along the way they asked me for advice on how to achieve there goal times and we worked together to go get the times.there most important weeks training was the first week of my taper
    so i was so focused on them that i forgot about my own needs and by the end of the first week i had overtrained,i cursed myself that i had made this rookey mistake but at the same i was happy that my friends were ready for dublin.over the next week or so we all had a good taper,but i was really struggling to hold any sort of pace,i realy had overtrained,exausted.dublin marathon morning arrived,2 of my friends were going to run with my 3.30 group,paul ran his first marathon in waterford this year and he was going for a pb my almost a hour,he done all the hard training even 20 milers at race pace but after 17 miles he had to pull up with his it band,it was heartbreaking to have to leave him there but i had a pacing job to do,my other friend meabh was running her first mrathon and ran with me all the way to achieve a great 3.29.05 finish,great future ahead for her,my other two friends,david was going for 3.10 and achieved his time thanks to thomas the 3hr10 pacer,great job he done.my other mate mick went for sub 3.15 and ran 3.13.so a very succesfull day,as for me i felt awfull running around and in the later stages questined who was pacing who.

• Advertisement
Advertisement