Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

More miles mean more improvement?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ray lanigan

so with dublin done and the 100k only 5 days away and feeling really tired i started to carb load like mad and was sleeping 10 to 14 hours some days,after 4 days my stomach was almost ready to explode,i didnt run at all after dublin so wasnt sure how i would run on the day,i was just praying that i would come strong again,so the morning before the race i was up at 4am,breakfast washed and i quick run down the road to catch the 5.05 bus to dublin airport,left tramore and headed into waterford were dave sheridan was coming over with me to take on the whiteroseultra,dave was using this race as a training run as hes bigger fish to fry in a 100miler next year,he had missed alot of training due to a injury he picked up,but done the long runs and there the ones that matter so he was confident on what lie ahead.

arrived in dublin airport and checked in and than off for some more carb loading(fry up).board the plane and of we headed to the manchester,i shoudnt of laughed but on the flight we had some really bad turbalance and there was tea and coffee flying everywhere and a lad two seats up from us got it on the ceiling and all over his head,he tried to play it cool but didnt have anything to clean it off.(sorry for laughing but it was funny).

manchester we arrived and off we went to hire a car,huddersfield was only about 50miles from manchester but we didnt want the head ache of public transport and walking around all day,so the car hire seemed the best option.about 5 miles from hudderfield we started to see the landscape change,from flat roads to nothing like i have evere seen before,it scared the ****e out of me and dave.what have we left our selves in for he chatted about,nothing we can do about it now dave but its a challenge we want then hear it is.arrived at the hotel(premier inn only 1.5miles from tha race start)and checked in and up to the room to unpack.
    we needed supplies for the race tommorow so we headed of to a nearby sansburys in the car and we shocked how hilly the place was,up down up down where ever you went,every place was called hill land,hill top park,hill lane,big hill walk,top of hill road,the only place i didnt see was no hill land.you had to see this place to believe it.
    one thing we had notiched was how windy it was and then going into the supermarket the rain started hammering down.i looked at dave and said im glad them trail shoes came in the post,maybe i shoulnt of said that to dave as he was running the race in his vibrams.well if your mad your mad.off back to the hotel and into the resturant for some more carb loading or dave case liquid dinner of 5 pints,well if your mad your mad.sat down with the dinner and watched the football game,but i coulnt watch it as i was worried about the weather out side,it was a full blown storm out now with thunder and lightning,i said to dave now we have ever hard element against us tommorow,distance,hills,rain,wind,and most of the race on muddy trails.
    off we headed to bed and we geared ourselves up for the morning,got all our well wishes from friends and ultra friends as the new what lie ahead,there kind words and encouragment had me ready for war before i shut my eyes.

5.am comes and the alarm is going off and i open one eye and the first thing that comes into my mind is the weather,jumped out of bed and over to the window,no rain thank god but it was very windy and really cold,nothing we can do now about the weather and reminded myself we all have to run the same conditions course etc,had the breakfast and jumped back into bed for another hour,dave slept through the alarm,all that liquid had something to do with it,at least he was well hydrated,haha.
    alarm goes off again and i jumped out of bed,dave woke up and panicked about the time,i had a quick shower and got the running gear on and packed everything i needed,i wanted to get up to the registation early to get my head in the zone,sorry for rushing you dave,he had to have his pasta and chicken breakfast in the car.
    so we arrived at the race headquarters and it was bitterly cold,i had brought a rain jacket with me but didnt entend on using it but it was on me straight away,we walked up to sign in and get our race back,the place was like headless chickens flying all over the shop up there as everyone looked in a panic as to what lie ahead.we said helo to some friendly faces and but name to faces that we had et online.
    15min before the race was about to start KERRY the race organiser called us out side for a race briefing,shes stone mad and made us all laugh and put everyone in great spirits before the off.5 mins later we all headed down to the start about 5 min walk.we all arrived at the start line,have a think where yep bottom of a hill.
    i wished dave goodluck and shock anybodys hand around me and then we were off.
    straight away i took the lead up the hill,it was very steep and was on the top off my toes running up it,by the time i reached the top i was almost out of breath straight away,we hit a flat section and a lad came right up next to me and there was 3 other runners about ten seconds back.within the first mile we had run straight on instead of left,but we heard a shout to come back and now or group was 5 runners,i checked to see if any off them were in the 100k but they were all in the 50k so was happy to be were i was,within another half mile we went right instead of left again as we were climbing a huge long climb,there was spray paint on the ground to tell us were to go but with all the heavy rain it had washed away,but in our group there was a local runner and spotted we had gone wrong,we quickly got back on course but another group had closed behind us,then all of a sudden the rain started to come,i just stook my hood up and got stuck into the job in hand,it was a driving rain and wind now which made it very hard to run,my plan was to run 8min pace all the way for a 8 hour finish but in the wind the pace was 9.30 so my plan went out the window within 3 miles,i didnt mind to much as i was happy to be leading the race.

at the race hq were giving a map of the course and a card that we had to get stamped at every 5 mile checkpoint.i didnt even bring my map with me as wasnt sure which was even the right way up so just through it in the hired car boot.the card we had to get stamped i put it in a bag and warapped it around my waterbottle with a elastic band.the first checkpoint came and my hands were shacking trying to open the bag to get it stamped.i should of taken the card out sooner coming up to the check point to save time,just passed the checkpoint the 5 of us heading straight and ran past a right turn where we were ment to go,about a half mile later the locl guy said lads we are gone wrong again,we all stopped dead in our tracks and one of them took out his map and said no we are going the right way.the local lad turned back and i followed the other group,we ran on another mile and came to a tea juntion and there were no signs,everyone started to argue about were to go and i left them fight it out and took advantage of the situation and had a crap in the field,yes we were lost so headed all the way back and seen the other runners on the opissite road and joined up with them again.i went from first to 30th place with that move.up to the next check point i ran as hard as i could and overtook 20 runners and was back up to 10th,when i got to the mile 10 checkpoint i asked the lady were there many 60 mile runners ahead of me and she said 2 or 3.now i was 12miles in and started to feel like crap,still hadnt recovered but it didnt bother me to much as if you give everything on the day you can walk away happy that you gave it your best go.over come crazy croos country fields we went and then a right hand turn comes on a road and i just looked at this steeoest hill i have ever seen,and could see 7 other runners half way up it so i just powered up it hard as i could and closed on them within a minute and relized the were all walking hands on knees,i got some crazy looks as i was the only one running up it but as a road runner stooping isnt in the plan,but on this course walking hills is part of the plan,as i was about to pass the 7th lad i reconized him from online so stopped and walked with him as we were near the top,i tried to copy thisnew hands on knees dance craze and over the next 2 miles we had a great chat,he had recently ran his first marathon at 2.50 pace and blew up with 3 miles to go.so was in good company.after the next checkpoint we were running down this road and i seen a sticker pointing right and just looked over and all i could see was a huge grass bank,surely we dont go up that and waited for the next runner to catch up with me and he said yes,so i ran across the road and done my new dance move up this bank on some little stepping stones,we had to almost climb up it and at the top was a house like somethimg out of a horror movie and ran under a arch at the side of it and down through some fields and over 4 fenches.
    now we were running in the middle of nowhere(the moors)a ery looking place and i was lost again,i just started running along this stone wall and seen two runners ahead of me climbing over a gate and started chasing them.it turns out they were the two lads leading the 50 k race,they were about .25 of a mile ahead at atop of a big climb.i found i closed on all the runners on the climbs in both races but on the down hills the left me for dust.i had been talking to a few of the group earlier on and 3 of them were fell runners,you had to see these lads running down the hills,i was running down them side ways because they were so steep and these lads just flew down them with there hands out like they were just left out of the mental hospital.as i got to the top of the climb i coulnt see the two runners again and went wrong down a field again,straight away i new i was wrong again and rean back to the top of the hill again were i seen 3 other runners just ahead.now i was into 6th place but they were all in the 50k race.

over the next few miles we were running alondg the clyne valley,this was the nicest part of the course,lovely bit to run on even if it was full of mud,over some small bridges and up a few climbs,i passed the 3 runners going over this bit and just before the 20mile check point there was a really tough climb and the weather was now hail and i put the head down and forgot my new dance move and ran up it knowing i could have a break at the checkpoint.when i got to the checkpoint the 2 leaders in the 50k were just about to leave.one of them shot off and the other ran with me,we ran down a road and into a farm oand onto some trail again and crossed a river on some stones,if you fell in you were in trouble.the 2nd place runner said im going to power on and try catch the leader and ran on but we came to a climb and i was next to him again then over the climb he ran on again.i came to a tea juntion and seen the sticker to go right and looked left and the 2nd place was running up it,i started shouting at him to come back and he coulnt hear,my last shout he looked back to see a mad irish runner jumbing and waving at him.he ran back down and we headed right.into checkpoint 25 we came and left together.then instead of going right we went left down a big hill.after a mile i said to him this doesnt look good and he took out his map and said we are ok.a few minutes later he gave me the bad news,not again i said,this is complete madness,all these wrong turns weather first 30th 10th 3rd 6th and 3rd again started to take its tole,and the fact we just ran down a big hill.now we had to run back up it.we ran up it and got back on track again.a mile from the finish and we were lost again and asked a local and he put us right and with 400mtrs to go i was condemplating quiting as another lap of that course in them conditions and dark and the fact i would have to run it again on my own and not see another runner again and to be honest i was wrecked.when we got back to the finish there was 4 lads sitting down.the 2nd place finished in 5th because of the last few wrong turns.i sat down and the rest of them were looking at me like i was stone crazy to even try going back out.i sat there and decided to change every bit of clothing on me to lift my morale and headed back out to do it all again.the weather now was blowing a storm and not even 2 miles up the road i was going to turn back.then i decided that the only way im going to finish this race is start walking up every hill and run the rest.got to the 35mile checkpoint without getting lossed and at mile 38 i was running in a field up a hill with a bull in it,the wind was straight at me and i looked at my garmin and it red 20m34sec pace,i stopped dead in my tracks right next to the bull,we just looked at each other and i said im done,cant go on,then i thought of my friend that drove me on in training,hes not very well at the moment and hes a animal on hills.i said what would he do and just shouted as loud as i could,COME ON,and ran on again.in training i had not used gels and the plan was to take them in this race when i hit the 42mile mark,sis caffine gels,i get a real good kick of these and didnt take any caffine for 3 weeks before the race so just hung on until then.then a really strange thing happen got to mile 40 checkpoint without getting lost walk all the usual big hills and felt like i was running for hours since the last checkpoint,when i hit the 45mile one i was convinced i had missed the last checkpoint,we were told if we miss one we were disqualifiled from the race,i was in some state telling the woman the was nobody at the last checkpoint,i gave her my card and she looked at me funny and signed it,i looked at the card and i had got it signed,i hadnt even missed it,my head was playing tricks on me because i was so tired,headed through the moors again and into the wind and just before the 50 mile checkpoint i seen two runners ahead of me.i started to walk and didnt expect to see anyone out on the course for the 2nd lap.but i had just about lapped the two runners,i stopped at both of them as i dint want to act like it was a good thing to do a lap them,so stopped and realy encouraged both of them that the finish was in site and they were doing really well and we all got the same medal.got to the 50mile checkpoint and the lady said your in the lead,they new my name at this stage,i looked around were i just had ran and the one face i didnt want to see was ed melbourne,hes a very top ultra runner with massive experiance in trail running,he had one a few big rav=ces this year even the 100k race to the stones and has ran the UTMB the past two years.in his last 100k he waited until the 50mile marker to made his move and destoyed the field in the end,so if i could get to the 50mile mark with him not insight behind me i have a great chance of winning.
    i saved my eyepod for this moment and stuck it on and took another gel,up to this point i was in a bad state and just the pure will to keep moving was all i was living on,but within a minute the gels were having there effect,the music was blarring in my ears,the fact i could win this race was now not just a dream and i just started to run with no fatqugue in my legs,i was feeling like it was just a jog,the best feeling in the world,i started shouted my friends name out as loud as i could running across the country and now pitch dark,what a feeling that i will never forget.i had the plan that i could run the course in sub 8 hours so only got a head light from suppervalue for 9 euro 99.thinking i wont need it,the thing was crap and coulnt see 3 feet in front of me.i was feeling still so good i had to remind myself to calm down as there was still a checkpoint to get to.my garmin was now reading 59 miles and i still hadnt seen the 55 mile checkpoint,with all th ewrong turns etc i was running well over but didnt panic because i new everyone else was in the same boat,i was running down this lane and seen a staffbull terrier running towards me and his owner running behind him with another one.i was on another planet and just kept running and probally frightened the dog more,i kept running ahead and came to a cross roads and there was no sign,i started to cry as i relized i had got lost again,i rang my misses and put her in shear panic and then seen a guy walking a dog and asked him for directions,he told me a short cut to get to were i wanted to go.for a minute i thought why not as i had ran so much extra,but deep down i new i coulnt.
    so i ran back the same way i came and new i would lose the race now,i ran bavk up intoi the dark moors for a mile and a half and just stopped and was lost again.then i thought im not even going to finish the race.i took out my phone to ring a emergancy number i had and what ever way i looked i seen a sticker to go left into a field.
    i started to cry with excitment that i can finish the race now,i didnt give to ****s about winning now.got to the last checkpoint and the lady said are you ray,i said yep,she said we were expecting you ages ago,i told her i got completly lost,i then asked her was there anyone passed ahead of me in the mean time,she said one other runner,i new it had to be ed melbourne,i wasnt to upset as i was lost for 3 miles so new i would of been overtaken,at least im in second,for the next 4.5miles i ran with everything i had up everyhill trying to catch first but he was nowere to be seen.a half a mile from the finish my light was just dead and i was lost again,everywhere i looked i thought i could see little lights on peoples heads thinking im going to be overtook again,yes found the dark lane way and started belting down this,it was very dangerous with big rocks and deep mut but the finish was near,near the end i could see a figure on the road waving like mad at me,as i got closer i still didnt have a clue who it was,it was my mate dave shouting and waving at me to slow down as i was leading the race.i didnt believe him for a second,calm down and slow down he said trying to keep up with me as i ran as hard as i could to the finish still trying to catch ed.seen the finish line and ran towards it still not 100% believing dave,KERRY was there and everyone out in the dark to roar me on,crossed the line and then only found out i had actually had won the race,the emotion that came out of me at that moment is to hard to explain,i will never forget that moment,before the last checkpoint i had a hour lead over ed.he had clossed it to 39min with me going wrong before the last checkpoint.
    for am]nyone that has run a ultra or thinking about running one,then come over and run this next year,it wasnt just a race,it was a pure adventure that i will take to the grave with me.cant wait to do it all over again next year

p.s.next year there will be big signs and a trouphy,i was dissapionted i didnt recieve one but still i had the best experiance of my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

That's incredible well done. You're like some kind of running machine. Bit scary but good :D

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Wow wow wow. Not sure what the right words are, but something along the lines of: superhuman, amazing, awesome, terminator :)
    Think what you'll achieve if you ever learn to read a map :D

Any pictures from the race? Sounds like a spectacular course.

cianc wrote: »
    Wow wow wow. Not sure what the right words are, but something along the lines of: superhuman, amazing, awesome, terminator :)
    Think what you'll achieve if you ever learn to read a map :D

Any pictures from the race? Sounds like a spectacular course.

im not the best on the computer,you can get them on my facebook page,or on the whiteroseultra web site theres some pictures on peoples blobs there,it was a beast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

WHITE ROSE ULTRA 100K

.....in the mean time i needed something to get my teeth into so i called my ultra runner friend dave and said to him go online and have a look for a good ultra in the u.k,what distance he said,anything over 50mile or 60mile
    later that evening dave wrong me backand said the white rose ultra looks brillant.the only question i asked him was do we need to navogate in the race,no not at all he repied,ok im in i said,had a quick look online and within 15min we were already planning our journey for our first 100k ultra race.

haha, great report. Amazing run congratulations on the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NoGutsNoGlory

fair play Ray well done .. i hope the waterford half is not as exciting!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

the whiteroseultra web site theres some pictures on peoples blobs there,it was a beast.
    Yeah, those are some suspiciously sunny pictures they have up at http://www.whiteroseultra.co.uk/gallery1.html :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Insanity!

cianc wrote: »
    Yeah, those are some suspiciously sunny pictures they have up at http://www.whiteroseultra.co.uk/gallery1.html :)

wish we had those conditions alright

on the right hand side on the main whiterose page a few people have blogs about the race and took afew picture,will give you a good idea of what the course was like,there was a lady that videod some of it and shes going to put it on u tube soon enough

fair play Ray well done .. i hope the waterford half is not as exciting!!! :)
    funny that i have yet to run a half:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Brilliant report Ray, really enjoyed reading it. There's no stopping you! I often see you out on the roads and you make it look effortless.

I'd say to enjoy a bit of a rest, but I don't think you would :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Insane1

Ray, it was a pleasure to witness such an incredible display! You destroyed the field and the course, and did it with your usual modesty and humble way.
    Same time next year? At least we will have an idea of where not to get lost next time! lol

RubyK wrote: »
    Brilliant report Ray, really enjoyed reading it. There's no stopping you! I often see you out on the roads and you make it look effortless.

I'd say to enjoy a bit of a rest, but I don't think you would :D

no im going to take 4 weeks out of no training and give the body a break,and than i be fresh for next year again:)
    if you pass me out running again stop me and we have a chat,be nice to put face to name

thanks and keep up the great work

Insane1 wrote: »
    Ray, it was a pleasure to witness such an incredible display! You destroyed the field and the course, and did it with your usual modesty and humble way.
    Same time next year? At least we will have an idea of where not to get lost next time! lol
    thanks dave
    yep same time next year for sure,i no every bit of that course in my head now,we will deffintly run it a lot faster next year

thinking about putting a team of 4 together for the HARDCASTLE 24HR RACE in 2014.
    its a 5k trail route up a hill and back again.as many times as the team can in 24hrs.
    theres a solo option aswell.if anyone is interested let me no.

• Advertisement

after 5 months out with severe knee pain and numerous combacks today i managed 6 miles with little knee pain,im training a lad up to break 3.30 in waterford and will pace him on the day aswell,i told him be at my door ready to run and be prepared for plenty of miles(and pain),happy days feeling very positive now,onwards and upwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Great to hear you are back on your feet ray

Next Sunday i start a 6 month plan as i will be taking on my first 100mile ultra.
    Thames Path 100MILER.
    Its a flat trail ultra witch wont play to my strenghths as i love the hills but its a great start to the 100 mile seen as thats where i think i could do my best work.
    Not sure i could do the big miles like i used to do as my knees are still giving me trouble but will replace any missed run with differant cardio and the runs i do will be mostly quailty and the missed runs only junk miles,im going to kill myself with the training ive planned and really looking forward to the road ahead and sharing the journy on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 anthony.whelan

Look forward to following your progress and also digging in with you for some tough sessions over the next few months. 100 miles will be your distance you have all the tools for it

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭paddybarry

Great to see you back posting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

im going to kill myself with the training
    Don't kill ur self Ray...we love u....until at least after we retain our 24hr title....good to have u back bud

• Advertisement

Always enjoyed this log, welcome back. Any prep races for the 100m planned? Thames path is a western states qualifier, is that next on the agenda?

Always enjoyed this log, welcome back. Any prep races for the 100m planned? Thames path is a western states qualifier, is that next on the agenda?

Thanks.
    Havnt any prep races planned just yet,im in the Donadea 50k but anto will kill be for saying this but it wont be a sub 3.30,that will be just a good training run,will defintely run a few ultras leading up to it but havnt sat down yet to pic them out.Will run them just as hard training sessions and not taper for any of them as the wont be the main goal.I didnt even no it was the qualifier for Western states.
    Sur i didnt even pick this ultra either,A friend just text me one day and said do you want to come with me next year a run it,he got me on a no brain working day and i said yeh no bother and entered it straight away:)

So my 6 month journy started today.

MON= 26 MILES,DUBLIN MARATHON
    TUE= REST AND JUNK FOOD
    WENS=REST AND MORE JUNK FOOD
    THUR= REST AND MORE AND MORE JUNK FOOD
    FRI= REST AND MORE AND MORE AND MORE JUNK FOOD
    SAT= REST AND JUNK FOOD AND SOME MORE AND MORE AND MORE JUNK FOOD
    SUN= 2 HOUR RUN.

Didnt bother running during the week as i thought the rest would be great as the next 6 months ahead there wont be much of it,just concentrated on eating cake etc all week as i wont see much of that either for 6 months haha.
    today 2 hour run wasnt easy but its a good start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

So my 6 month journy started today.

MON= 26 MILES,DUBLIN MARATHON
    TUE= REST AND JUNK FOOD
    WENS=REST AND MORE JUNK FOOD
    THUR= REST AND MORE AND MORE JUNK FOOD
    FRI= REST AND MORE AND MORE AND MORE JUNK FOOD
    SAT= REST AND JUNK FOOD AND SOME MORE AND MORE AND MORE JUNK FOOD
    SUN= 2 HOUR RUN.

Didnt bother running during the week as i thought the rest would be great as the next 6 months ahead there wont be much of it,just concentrated on eating cake etc all week as i wont see much of that either for 6 months haha.
    today 2 hour run wasnt easy but its a good start.
    Nice peak week....Wat sort of cake are they supplying at aid stations....good luck with the training

THAMES PATH 100 MILE TRAIL ULTRA

WEEK 1

MON =6 MILES X 8.12 AM + 8 MILES PM
    TUE=8 MILES AM X 7.29 PACE
    WENS=8 MILES AM +7 MILES PM X 7.46 PACE
    THURS=REST
    FRI=13 MILES AM
    SAT=6 MILES PM X 7.17 PACE
    SUN= 15 MILES AM ON THE TRAILS

WEEKS TOTAL=71 MILES.
    DIDNT WORRY ABOUT MILES THIS WEEK JUST MADE THE SACRIFISE OF GETTING UP AT 5 AM BEFORE WORK TO RUN BEFORE WORK,YOU HAVE TO TRAIN THE HEAD I BELIEVE MORE THAN THE BODY FOR THE LONG STUFF,KNESS WERE SORE ALL WEEK BUT IM HAPPY TO HAVE MANAGED WHAT I DID,ROLL ON WEEK 2.
    THE PLAN IS 3 WEEKS OF IMPROVMENT IN SOME FORM AND THAN A EASIER WEEK AND THAN START AGAIN FROM WHERE I LEFT OFF.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Ed Mc

THAMES PATH 100 MILE TRAIL ULTRA

WEEK 1

MON =6 MILES X 8.12 AM + 8 MILES PM
    TUE=8 MILES AM X 7.29 PACE
    WENS=8 MILES AM +7 MILES PM X 7.46 PACE
    THURS=REST
    FRI=13 MILES AM
    SAT=6 MILES PM X 7.17 PACE
    SUN= 15 MILES AM ON THE TRAILS

WEEKS TOTAL=71 MILES.
    DIDNT WORRY ABOUT MILES THIS WEEK JUST MADE THE SACRIFISE OF GETTING UP AT 5 AM BEFORE WORK TO RUN BEFORE WORK,YOU HAVE TO TRAIN THE HEAD I BELIEVE MORE THAN THE BODY FOR THE LONG STUFF,KNESS WERE SORE ALL WEEK BUT IM HAPPY TO HAVE MANAGED WHAT I DID,ROLL ON WEEK 2.
    THE PLAN IS 3 WEEKS OF IMPROVMENT IN SOME FORM AND THAN A EASIER WEEK AND THAN START AGAIN FROM WHERE I LEFT OFF.

Best of luck with the training Ray, I'll be glued to this thread.

THAMES PATH 100 MILE ULTRA TRAINING

WEEK 2

MON=8 MILE X 7.29 PACE AM
    TUE=10 MILES PM(SAND DUNES)
    WENS=10 MILES AMX 7.27 PACE
    THURS= 5 MILES PM X 8.12 PACE
    FRI= REST
    SAT= 10 MILES AM X 7.56 PACE + 9 MILES X 7.19 PACE PM
    SUN =14 MILES TRAIL MOUNTAIN +5 MILES X 7.24 PACE

WEEKS TOTAL= 71 MILES
    TUFF WEEK AS MY KNEES WERE THE BOSS THIS WEEK AND COULNT DO ANY MID WEEK DOUBLE SESSIONS,GOT CAUGHT IN THE BAD WEATHER ALL WEEK,BUT HAVE IMPROVED A LITTLE SPEED WISE AND ANOTHER 71 MILES IN THE LEGS.ONWARDS AND UPWARDS.

THAMES PATH 100 MILE TRAINING

WEEK 3

MON=10 MILES X 7.30 PM
    TUES=8 MILES {SAND DUNES} AM
    WENS=11 MILES X 7.58 PACE AM+ 9 MILES 7.29 PACE PM
    THURS=REST
    FRI=8 MILES X 7.28 PACE AM
    SAT= 10 MILES X 7.58 PACE AM + 6 MILES X 6.47 PACE PM
    SUN= 20 MILES X 7.27 PACE {SAND DUNES + TRAIL}

WEEKS TOTAL= 82 MILES

AFTER 3 WEEKS OF STRUCTURED TRAINING IVE COME ON HEAPS AND BOUNDS FOR THE FIRST TIME THIS YEAR.
    3 WEEKS AGO I WAS UNDER PRESSURE TO HOLD A 7.30 PACE ON THE ROAD FOR 10 MILES.
    TODAY I COULD HOLD 20 MILES AT THAT PACE ON SAND DUNES AND TRAIL,UNREAL FEELING.
    ALL IT TAKES IS HARD WORK AND THE IMPROVEMENTS WILL COME.
    NOW IM GOING TO DO SOMETHING I NEVER DONE BEFORE AND THATS AFTER EVERY 3 WEEKS OF HARD TRAINING IM GOING TO DO A RECOVERY WEEK(EXTRA DAY OFF).
    IN THE PAST I JUST TRAINED LIKE A MAD MAN AND GOT THE RESULTS BUT BROKE DOWN AFTER 6 MONTHS.
    THERE ISNT A BETTER FEELING OF FEELING FIT.
    GREAT FOR THE BODY AND MIND.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Sounds like a good plan Ray. Its the long gains over years of training that really bring on the significant gains in most people. Hard to enter that long term mindset but I reckon it will pay dividends. Best of luck with it. When are we going to see that real focus on a marathon that you long ago promised? Still a plan for somewhere down the line or do you enjoy the longer stuff too much?

Sounds like a good plan Ray. Its the long gains over years of training that really bring on the significant gains in most people. Hard to enter that long term mindset but I reckon it will pay dividends. Best of luck with it. When are we going to see that real focus on a marathon that you long ago promised? Still a plan for somewhere down the line or do you enjoy the longer stuff too much?

If i hadnt of got injured at the end of last year i think i would of ran a fast marathon this year for sure.
    Im just going to focus everything on this 100 miler now but i think late next year i will give a marathon a good go.
    The quality in the ultra seen has improved alot the past 2 years.
    Back then if you had sub 3 hour speed in the legs with the strength and endurance from the long stuff you would almost always finish podium spot.
    Now i recon you need sub 2.50 speed in the legs.
    So a fast marathon has to be on the cards:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 anthony.whelan

Great week buddy. Keep up the good work & I can't wait to start logging big ones with you in the wilds of waterford over the winter. you re gonna smash that 100 miler. It's your distance

Great week buddy. Keep up the good work & I can't wait to start logging big ones with you in the wilds of waterford over the winter. you re gonna smash that 100 miler. It's your distance

Thanks Anthony.
    Your the one that will bring me on pal over the months ahead.
    Your passion for the sport rubs off on everyone around ya.

THAMES PATH 100 MILE ULTRA TRAINING

WEEK 4 (RECOVERY WEEK)

MON=REST
    TUE=12 MILES X 7.35 PACE AM
    WENS=REST
    THURS=8 MILES X 7.29 PACE AM
    FRI=11 MILES X 7.19 PACE PM
    SAT= 10 MILES X 7.18 PACE
    SUN = 22 MILES X 7.43 PACE(SAND DUNES)

WEEKS TOTAL=63 MILES

NOT SURE IF THE EXTRA DAYS REST HELPED BUT I FEEL I HAVE COME ON AGAIN THIS WEEK,PACE HAS INCREASED WITH LESS EFFORT AND HAVE DROPPED ANOTHER POUND IN WEIGHT.
    DECIDED TO TEST THE WATERS A LITTLE TODAY AND RAN ON EMPTY STRAIGHT OUT OF BED WITH 250ML OF WATER FOR THE 22 MILES,WASNT AS EASY AS I ONCE COULD RUN THESE BUT I GOT IT DONE AND REALLY INJOYED THE LAST FEW MILES WHEN I HAD A LITTLE BATTLE GOING ON IN MY HEAD.
    ROLL ON WEEK 5 NOW READY TO UP IT A LITTLE.
    KNESS HAVE INPROVED WITH THE HELP OF DAILY ROLLING AND ANTI FLAMATRIES.
    HAPPY DAYS.

WEEK 5
    MON=10 MILES X 7.53 PACE AM
    TUES=8 MILES(SAND DUNES)AM + 7 MILES PM(3 MILES WARM UP AND 16 X 400 TRACK SESSION,SLOWEST REP WAS 5.43 AND THE 15TH REP WAS 4.16 PACE,FINISHED WITH 4 X 150s,GOT FUNNY LOOK WHEN I ASKED WHAT WERE 150s HAHA,ULTRA RUNNERS.
    WENS=10 MILES X 7.45 PACE AM
    THUR=REST
    FRI=9 MILES X 7.36 PACE AM
    SAT=26.42 MILES (CLONAKILTY MARATHON IN 3.09.59)EXTRA LITTLE BIT CAME FROM TWO TOILET BRAKES IN FIELD
    SUN=10 MILES(SAND DUNES) X 7.59 PACE

WEEKS TOTAL=80 MILES

DONE FIRST SPEED SESSION IN OVER A YEAR ON TUESDAY AND WAS ALL OVER THE PLACE WITH THE PACE BUT SETTLED IN AS THEY WENT ON,WOKE UP WENSDAY AND THE HAMSTRINGS WERE SORE AND MY PACE DROPPED OVER THE NEXT FEW DAYS AND HAD TO DROP A DOUBLE SESSION DUE TO BEING TIRED,WAS PLANNING ON RUNNING A 3.15 ON SATURDAY BUT DUE TO BEING TIRED WASNT SURE THAT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN,JUST RAN IT AND REALLY INJOYED THE MARATHON WITH ALL THE FREINDLY FACES AND I HAD A SMILE ON ME HEAD ALL THE WAY AS ITS GREAT TO BE RUNNING AGAIN,LOOKED AT THE WATCH AT 25.4 AND RELISED THERES A SUB 3.10 ON IF I SPRINT,FINISHED WITH A 5.55 MILE TO GET A 3.09.59 FINISH HAHA
    ROLL ON WEEK 6,THINGS COMING ALONG NICELY NOW.

WEEK 6
    MON= 10 MILES X 7.22 PACE PM
    TUES=8 MILES X 8.05 PACE AM + 10 MILES X 7.23 PACE PM
    WENS=REST
    THUR=8 MILES X 7.43 PACE PM (TRAIL BEACH WEXFORD)
    FRI=7 MILES 8.00 PACE AM
    SAT= 26.2 MILES X 7.24 PACE (HILLY MARATHON IN 3.14.01)AM
    SUN = 16 MILES (SAND DUNES X 2 LAPS)AM

WEEKS TOTAL = 85 MILES

TOUGH WEEK WITH CATCHING A COLD,LAST WEEKS MARATHON I TOOK 4 GELS SO DECIDED TO TRY RUN THIS ONE OUT OF BED ON EMPTY AND AT 16 MILES I WAS LOOSING THE FEELING IN THE LEGS DUE TO WEARING SHORTS AND SKIN EXSPOSED,STRANGE FEELING BUT A RUNNING PAL GAVE ME HER HAT AND GOT SOME HEAT BACK INTO ME.
    AT 19 MILES I WAS SPENT TRYING TO HOLD A 3.15 MARATHON PACE AND TOOK A EMERGENCY GEL JUST BEFORE THE 21 MILES AND IT GOT ME MOVING AGAIN.
    TODAYS RUN WAS MEANT TO BE A RECOVERY RUN BUT THE WIND DOWN THE SAND DUNES WAS UNREAL,THE SAND WAS CUTTING THE FACE OF ME AT POINTS BUT BATTLED ON AND GOT IT DONE.
    DROPPED ANOTHER 3LB IN WEIGHT THIS WEEK ID SAY DUE TO THE COLD WEATHER,THATS 10 LB WEIGHT DROP IN 6 WEEKS.
    HAPPY OUT WITH THAT.
    GETTING LIGHTER AND THE MIND IS GETTING STRONGER.

• Advertisement

Maybe you're losing weight because you consider running 16 miles on sand dunes to be a recovery run!:eek::P

Youve strung a few Impressive weeks together, great going.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭DarByrne1980

Maybe you're losing weight because you consider running 16 miles on sand dunes to be a recovery run!:eek::P

Youve strung a few Impressive weeks together, great going.

i agree absolutely saverage to do a marathon on saturday in training and then knock out 16 miles on sand dunes #beast

i agree absolutely saverage to do a marathon on saturday in training and then knock out 16 miles on sand dunes #beast
    Dar even 6 weeks ago 10 miles seemed a long way,4 weeks ago a marathon seemed a really long way but if you keep repeating the process the mind gets stronger or just gets sick of trying to tell you it is a long way haha.
    Im getting less fearfull every week of the distances im running at the minute and as soon as there no big deal its time to start running longer again.
    To get your head in the right place for a 100 miler I defintely think you need to train it that it thinks going out on a Saturday morning for a 50 mile training run is normal:).

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭DarByrne1980

Dar even 6 weeks ago 10 miles seemed a long way,4 weeks ago a marathon seemed a really long way but if you keep repeating the process the mind gets stronger or just gets sick of trying to tell you it is a long way haha.

stupid quest probably ray but if i was say running a marathon in April/may 2015 wud u advise ever approachin marathon distance in training? did u ever try dat?

stupid quest probably ray but if i was say running a marathon in April/may 2015 wud u advise ever approachin marathon distance in training? did u ever try dat?
    For a marathon the longest run I would do would be 24mile and that depends if you have run a few before etc.
    My first marathon I followed a online program and the longest run was 20 miles.
    I don't think it was enough as I found it hard the minute I went over the 20mile on the day in the marathon.
    Im not sure if that was a mental thing or just not conditioned enough.
    If it was my first again I would run maybe 22 as my longest and if I had some experience I would run 24 mile as my longest.
    I hope that helps Dar and best of luck with the training etc and marathon.:)

WEEK 7

MON= 10 MILES X 7.14 PACE PM
    TUE=REST
    WENS= 8 MILES(SAND DUNES) AM + 8 MILES X 6.37 PACE(2 FAST,1 SLOW,2 FAST,1 SLOW,2 FAST)+ 3 MILES COOL DOWN X 7.33 PACE
    THUR=8 MILES(SAND DUNES) PM
    FRI= 8 MILES X 7.29 PACE AM
    SAT= 26.2 MILES (3.13.17) AM
    SUN= 16 MILES X 7.50 (TRAIL RUN)

WEEKS TOTAL= 87 MILES

TUFF WEEK THIS WEEK AS ALL THE RECOVERY RUNS WERE WINDY DAYS SO WASNT MUCH OF RECOVERY GOING ON.
    NEXT WEEK IS A RECOVERY WEEK SO WILL RECOVER WELL.
    LAST WEEKS MARATHON DISTANCE I TOOK 1 GEL AND FOUND IT TUFF GOING SO THIS WEEK I TOOK 1 BANNANA AND 1 GEL AND 500ML OF WATER AND IT WORKED A TREAT.
    NOT CONDITIONED ENOUGH YET TO RUN THEM ON EMPTY BUT ALL IN GOOD TIME.
    BUT 1LB ON THIS WEEK THANKS TO THE CHIRSTMAS ROSES BEING OPENED EARLY HAHA.
    DEFINTLY HAVE IMPROVED AGAIN THIS WEEK,FEELING STRONGER.
    GREAT MY RECOVERY WEEK IS FESTIVE WEEK.
    IM SURE THEY WILL BE PLENTY OF MINCE PIES TO SHIFT FROM THE BELLY COME WEEK 9

WEEK 8(RECOVERY WEEK)

MON= 8 MILES(SAND DUNES)AM
    TUES= 10 MILES X 8.12 PACE (TRAIL RUN)AM
    WENS=REST
    THURS=8 MILES(SAND DUNES)
    FRI=REST
    SAT= 15 MILES(ROAD HILLS) X 6.57 PACE
    SUN= 29 MILES X 7.17 PACE AM(RAN THE BALDY MAN RACE AT 24 MILE)

WEEK TOTAL=70 MILES

REALLY INJOYED THE RECOVERY WEEK AND THE FESTIVE TIME,THE KIDS ARE PLAYIMD DRUMS ON THE TINS OF SWEETS AND BISCUITS THAT IVE EMPTEED HAHA.
    GOT A MASSAGE TUESDAY SO COME SATURDAY THE LEGS FELT GOOD SO PUSHED THE PACE ON THE HILLS.
    TODAYS RUN I THOUGHT IT WAS GOING TO BE TOUGH BUT FOR THE FIRST TIME THIS YEAR I HAD TO SLOW MYSELF AT TIMES.
    HIT THE MARATHON POINT TODAY IN 3.10 AND TOOK THE SAME AS LAST WEEK,I BANNANA AND I GEL AND 500ML OF WATER FOR THE 29 MILES.
    I BELIEVE 100% THE IMPROVEMENTS ARE COMING FROM THE RECOVERY.
    ITS SO IMPORTANT,THE WAY I TRAINED BEFORE WAS PUSH,PUSH,PUSH AND IT MIGHT OF MADE ME STRONG BUT AT THE END OF THE DAY IMPROVEMENT IS WHAT YOU SHOULD BE REALLY LOOKING FOR.

THAMES PATH 100 MILE TRAINING WEEK 9

MON=REST
    TUES= 16 MILES X 6.52 PACE(ROAD HILLS)AM
    WENS= 14 MILES (TRAIL+ROAD)AM
    THUR = 9 MILE (6.27,7.26,6.12,7.45,6.18,6.13,9.03,6.16,7.55) PACES AM
    FRI= 8 MILEX X 7.28PACE AM + 9 MILES X 8.31 PACE (COW FIELDS)PM
    SAT= 16 MILES X 8.28 PACE PM
    SUN= 28 MILES X 7.26 PACE AM(1 BANNANA+1 GEL AND 500ML OF WATER)

WEEKS TOTAL=100 MILES

FELT SO STRONG TUES AND IF I WASNT IN A RUSH TO GET HOME OF WOULD OF KEPT GOING AT THAT PACE UNTIL MARATHON DISTANCE FOR THE CRACK.
    TUE WAS MENT TO BE A RECOVERY RUN BUT IT GOT WINDY AND TOOK A LITTLE OUT OF ME.
    THURS NOBODY SHOUL OF BEEN OUT RUNNING IN WHAT WE RAN,RAN IT WITH A LAD FROM THE TRACK WHOES HANDY RUNNER AND WE WERE AT A STANSTILL WITH THE WIND AND DRIVING RAIN AT TIMES,HE WAS WALKING AFTER THE 6TH MILE HAHA.IT WAS TOUGH AND A WASTE OF ENERGY TO WHAT THE REPEATS SHOWED.
    FRIDAY I WAS MENT ONLY TO RUN ONCE AS A RECOVERY DAY BUT GOT BORED AND JUST HEADED OF TROUGH FIELDS TO SEE IF I COULD SPOT A BIT OF A TRAIL AND ENDED UP LOST FOR 20 MINS BUT GREAT CRACK BEING COVERED IN COW ****E AND JUMPING ELECTRIC WIRE AND THE LEGS GOT CUT OF ME.
    SATURDAY I WAS SPENT AND DIDNT WANT TO RUN BUT A GOOD FRIEND WHOES ALSO RUNNING THE SAME 100 WITH ME GOT ME OUT THE DOOR,
    SUNDAYS RUN I NEW WOULD BE A SUFFER FEST AND I COULNT GET ANY OF THE FIRST 13 MILES UNDER 7.50 PACE BUT JUMPED IN WITH A FEW TRACK RUNNERS FOR 14 MILES WITH THEM AND I WAS ABLE TO JUST SWITCH OF AND THE LAST 4 MILE WE WERE KNOCKING 6.40 PACE OUT.
    AS I WAS RUNNING IN TO MEET THIS GROUP MY WATER BOTTLE FELL AND SMASHED SO I ASKED ONE OF THE RUNNERS HAVE THEY A SPARE BOTTLE OF WATER.THEY MUST OF THOUGHT THIS FELLOW IS NOT WELL IN THE HEAD OF RUNNING A 28MILE WITH NO WATER HAHA.
    SMALL SORENESS IN THE OUTSIDE OF MY CALF MUSCLE SO WILL GET A PHYSIO SESSION THIS WEEK AND IT BE GRAND AGAIN.
    TIRED AFTER THE WEEKS TRAINING BUT HAD A FEW LATE NIGHTS AND PINTS AND MAYBE LOST A BIT OF FOCUS FROM FRIDAY AS THE BABY DUE IN A WEEKS TIME.
    ALL IN ALL I VERY HAPPY WITH THE WEEKS TRAINING.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

SUN= 29 MILES X 7.17 PACE AM(RAN THE BALDY MAN RACE AT 24 MILE)

Jebas, that's some training run to do!! No stopping you, best of luck with your journey to the 100 miler.

• Advertisement

WEEK 10

MON=REST
    TUE= 10 MILES X 7.28 PACE PM(ROAD,TRAIL)
    WENS= 10 MILES AM
    THURS=19 MILES X 7.29 PACE(ROAD,TRAIL)
    FRI REST
    SAT= 14 MILES
    SUN =20 MILES X 7.56 PACE(ROAD,TRAIL)

WEEKS TOTAL= 74 MILES

HARDEST WEEKS TRAINING I EVER DONE,PICK THE FLUE UP THE END OF LAST WEEK AND IT DESTROYED ME.
    HAD TO TAKE THE MONDAY OFF AND ALSO DROPPED ALL SPEED SESSIONS PLANNED.
    CUT 4 RUNS SHORT BECAUSE I FELT LIKE I WAS GOING TO DROP,PUCKED ON ONE RUN.
    IF I EVER HAD TO DO ANOTHER WEEK OF THAT I WOULD GIVE IT UP.
    STILL FEEL CRAP SO GOING TO KNOCK TODAYS 10 MILER ON THE HEAD.
    MY DIET WAS ALL OVER THE SHOP LATELY WITH THE BAD HABBITS PICKED UP OVER CHRISTMAS SO TODAY AND THE MONTHS AHEAD ITS A DIFFERANT STORY.
    NOTHING BUT CLEAN FOOD AND WATER.
    CANT WAIT TO GET MOVING AGAIN.

Advertisement