Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying an un-registered scooter

• 14-02-2012 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I am looking at buying a scooter which has not been registered in Ireland yet. The VRT is going to cost €250 going by this VRT calculator.

I take it from the quotes below I need to get a certificate from the owner. What else you I need to get of the seller? Also any idea the cost if it has been in Ireland longer than 30 days which I expect it has been.
    An additional charge may be raised if it is found that a vehicle has remained in the State, unregistered, for more than 30 days.

In certain circumstances, CCT and VAT may also be payable. For VAT purposes a vehicle is a 'new means of transport' when it is less than 6 months old OR has travelled less than 6000km.

A Certificate of Conformity or other Type Approval certification is required for previously unregistered vehicles.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Where is it coming from? UK/ EU?
    If it has been registered in the EU already then it should have type approval and you don't need to get type approval here.
    The previous owner should provide proof of travel here from whereever it came from Ferry tickets etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

It's illegal for anyone other than a registered dealer to sell an unregistered vechicle.
    Get the seller to do the VRT before you purchase.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

aujopimur wrote: »
    It's illegal for anyone other than a registered dealer to sell an unregistered vechicle.
    Get the seller to do the VRT before you purchase.
    I would presume its on foreign plates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

I would presume its on foreign plates?

Thanks for the replies. No it has never been used or registered. Should I avoid?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

martyoo wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. No it has never been used or registered. Should I avoid?
    Totally. It would be a nightmare to register and you shouldnt hold an unreg vehicle without a tan number anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

Totally. It would be a nightmare to register and you shouldnt hold an unreg vehicle without a tan number anyway.

Glad I asked now. Thanks, I will give this one a miss.

Advertisement