Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotel/Hostel in/near Macroom?

Options
  • 14-02-2012 3:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm taking a group of 12 students to Macroom in March. They are taking part in the Drama competition. Ideally we would stay somewhere in the town, but the Castle Hotel is a little overpriced for our budget. Last year we stayed at a hostel in Killarney, but I'd prefer to be in or closer to Macroom this year for different reasons.

Any suggestions? Are there any hostels in or near Macroom that I may have missed online? We'll be heading back North the next day. I thought about going all the way up to Mallow but going to Macroom, up to Mallow, back to Macroom then up to Mallow for the night sounds like a lot of unnecessary mileage.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

cojobt wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm taking a group of 12 students to Macroom in March. They are taking part in the Drama competition. Ideally we would stay somewhere in the town, but the Castle Hotel is a little overpriced for our budget. Last year we stayed at a hostel in Killarney, but I'd prefer to be in or closer to Macroom this year for different reasons.

Any suggestions? Are there any hostels in or near Macroom that I may have missed online? We'll be heading back North the next day. I thought about going all the way up to Mallow but going to Macroom, up to Mallow, back to Macroom then up to Mallow for the night sounds like a lot of unnecessary mileage.

Thanks

The Lee Valley Hotel converted it's hotel rooms in to hostel rooms about 2 years ago, but there's nothing showing up online for them these days so they could be closed down now. As far as I know that was the only hostel in the town, but someone else may prove me wrong here.

Macroom wouldn't be a very touristy town and thus the lack of accomodation choices. Have you tried B&Bs? I know there's one right in the centre of the town and there's quite a few in the surrounding areas.

Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭ofcork

The mills in ballyvourney may be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Thinking about this....Macroom to Mallow is only about 40 mins drive if you go via Millstreet, it's not that much of a drive....you're hardly coming via Cork city, are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭cojobt

The Lee Valley seems to be closed. I can't contact them at all.

I'm coming from Donegal, so presumably via Limerick to Mallow. Mallow has added advantages in that we'll be closer to home on Sunday. Any recommendations for hostel/accomodation there?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭katy67

What about The Wallis Arms Hotel in Millstreet. That would be near Macroom, about 10 miles.
    Also it between Mallow and Macroom.

• Advertisement

katy67 wrote: »
    What about The Wallis Arms Hotel in Millstreet. That would be near Macroom, about 10 miles.
    Also it between Mallow and Macroom.
    I'll check out The Wallis. The Abbey in Ballyvourney had a v good rate of about €450, as opposed to The Castle in Macroom's €660.

However hostel prices are better again, but the only one I can see outside Cork city is Neptunes in Killarney at €260.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭Miaireland

To be honest your choices around Macroom are very limited. The Castle Hotel is the only hotel and very few B&B's. I know some of the B&bs are booked out during the week with workmen doing construction work at an local industry site.

Killarney is a just 30 mins away so it may be a good option. The Abbey in Ballyvourney is also good and probably will be the nearest place able to accomdate your group.

Might be worth trying Foundation House, it is a B&B five minutes drive outide Macroom

The Wallis is booked up or 'not taking bookings for that evening', which I assume means booked up.

I think I gave the wrong name for the Ballyvourney hotel - I think it was the Mills Inn, not the Abbey...it's a moot point as it's still 200 Euro more expensive thank the hostel in Killarney.

I don't like the idea of having a dozen 16 year olds arriving into Killarney around 9 or 10 on a Saturday night, but what is one to do? A 200 euro difference is hard to argue with.

Thanks for the advice up to this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭Miaireland

The Abbey would probably be quite a good bit cheaper than the Mills so might be worth phoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭spur

Did you try Coolcower House? As far as I know it's still open.
    It's about a mile, mile&half on the Cork side of Macroom.

Can't vouch for what it's like, it's years and years since I was there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

spur wrote: »
    Did you try Coolcower House? As far as I know it's still open.
    It's about a mile, mile&half on the Cork side of Macroom.

Can't vouch for what it's like, it's years and years since I was there!

God yeah, had my 21st there, the memories.

Well worth a try, if its still operating its very near town yet far away enough that the students won't be sneaking out.

Going to The Abbey in Ballyvourney. Offered us 25 euro per head no breakfast, 6 twins, 3 singles, but decided to go with breakfast so same for reduced price of 430. Don't think you can argue with that! I have to say at this stage they have been very helpful.

Advertisement