Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bookshelf

• 14-02-2012 3:05pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭

My bookshelf collapsed a while ago, so I'm looking for ideas on how to put it back up. It was a bit of a bugger to put it up in the first instance as it was very hard to drill into the wall. The shelf is just a plank of wood with 3 hinges (their label say 225x175). I attached them with screws, this isn't a pre-made thing. The thickness of the plank of wood is about 2cm, its length is around 160cm. I think it was simply overloaded with books...thankfully the DVD shelves didn't collapse.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Are u drilling into a concrete wall or a stud partition?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

A concrete wall.

What timber is it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I haven't a notion, I'm afraid. :o

I would be inclined to drill a few steel rods into the wall and glue them in place.

Also drill hols in the edge of the shelf that are in the same place and also use some panel adhesive around the bars where the shelf wil slip over them.

Once set and done correctly there should be no reason for it to ever fall down again

• Advertisement

It was just rawlplugs before. What sort of steel rods and glue? The hinges seemed to have survived the fall.

Either a 10mm or 12mm steel rod put into the wall with chemical anchor.

It's basically a two part glue that once set won't come out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Black Oil wrote: »
    A concrete wall.

In future.......SDS drill and bit is what you need to drill the wall propperly.

And some 8mm rad screws/rawl plugs will be ideal then.

Is that something more reliable than say, an old Black and Decker yolk?

Is that something more reliable than say, an old Black and Decker yolk?

You can get a decent enough SDS/Hammer drill for 45-50 euro these days.

Also get some decent masonary drill bits.

Ideal for DIY around the home.

• Advertisement

What it mean is, will such a drill work better than a bog standard B&D one that's ancient? When putting it up originally, some bits of concrete were particularly stubborn and maybe the shelf wasn't 100% secure, the holes weren't what you'd call perfect (I'm far from talented at DIY) and the rawlplugs weren't completely flush you might see on one of those makeover TV shows!

What it mean is, will such a drill work better than a bog standard B&D one that's ancient? When putting it up originally, some bits of concrete were particularly stubborn and maybe the shelf wasn't 100% secure, the holes weren't what you'd call perfect (I'm far from talented at DIY) and the rawlplugs weren't completely flush you might see on one of those makeover TV shows!

YES.

Advertisement