Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pearl Eye In Sheep

• 14-02-2012 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi everyone. Im new to Boards.ie and only registered today but have followed it for a while. My query is - has anyone any tips for curing pearl eye in sheep. Im currently using mastitis tubes and find them ok but very slow. Any tips would be appreciated. I have isolated the affected sheep and it has stopped spreading through the flock - im concentrating on curing the affected sheep at present.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭docmartin

2 years ago i went through the same bother,infected almost half my stock, so I isolated the affected sheep and brought two to the vet, he basically told me isolation and time is the only healer but up here in donegal traditionally we'd but baking soda/baking powder onto the eyes and in my experience it seemed to speed things up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Milton09

We would normally go with the mastitis tubes too and find they work pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭getupthatyard

give them an injection of alamycin LA along with doing their eyes with mastitis tubes, recommend doing them twice a day with tubes if you can. also seen fellas spraying alamycin aerosol straight into eyes, stingy for them but works a treat!

had a few last year an mastitis couldn shift it but one jag of alamycin LA sorted them out :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭eorna

having bad problems myself...i put penstrep straight in the eye, no needle just liquid..i actually did a few with spray and few with penicillin and they cured better and quicker...still slow though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

docmartin wrote: »
    2 years ago i went through the same bother,infected almost half my stock, so I isolated the affected sheep and brought two to the vet, he basically told me isolation and time is the only healer but up here in donegal traditionally we'd but baking soda/baking powder onto the eyes and in my experience it seemed to speed things up

Time is the cure withthis infection tube eyes with opticlox or Dry cow tubes if eyes still weeping 48 hours later repeat after that they should be ok usually problem is eyes getting stabbed by stemmy dry silage also maybe bit of mould on silage (with cattle anyway) break up bales if possible when feeding I also got a bad doing with calves outside one summer on a paddock that got strong anmycyllin will work but it is slower than the tubes if you have calves and you do not want to be catching them again you could tube and inject and hope for the best however I find the tubes work best if you have a outbreak
    When they dry up remove from infected bunch to another isolation penwait 2-3 days and return to uninfected group

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭razor8

were these sheep dosed for fluke recently?

are they on stemy silage/hay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭eorna

razor8 wrote: »
    were these sheep dosed for fluke recently?

are they on stemy silage/hay?
    sheep were fluked alright..on dry silage...

Advertisement