Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow way - nicest (scenery!) stage?

Options
  • 14-02-2012 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi all,

Hope I'm not repeating a question already asked, I've had a quick search and don't see the same q, so fingers crossed!

We will be staying in Glenmalure for a couple of days this month and are planning to do some of the wicklow way. The Glendalough to Glenmalure section is the most likely candidate, but thought I'd post up here and ask people what in your opinion is the nicest (scenery wise) stretch of the wicklow way?

We have a car and are hoping to book a taxi to bring us back to the car at the end of the day, so we can start from anywhere really....
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Glenmalure to Glendalough is a nice enough stage, but not the nicest walking around those parts. The walk itself has some scenery of the walk up out from Glenmalure, but it's all to your back, and the descent into Glendalough (which is by a very roundabout way) is mostly through forestry, so the views aren't great. A little boring, even.

Heading South on the Way is even worse for views, I think. You could do a loop of the Glenmalure Valley, but that's an arduous enough off-trail hike. I'd probably suggest taking the Wicklow Way towards Glendalough until you reach the boardwalk on the saddle between Mullacor and Lugduff. From there, instead of following the Way down into Glendalough, I'd turn left (West) onto another boardwalk up towards the summit of Lugduff. Keeping to the right, there's a track that loops you to the Scalp track, which offers much better visuals for the descent in Glendalough. It brings you back to the Way at the Upper car park, from where it's a short stroll to the Glendalough hotel for a quick drink as you wait for your taxi back to Glenmalure. From experience, the taxi trip will cost about €20.

Of course, the usual disclaimers apply: don't go where you aren't comfortable navigating back from; the weather can changes in minutes; don't go off-track on the scalp or you may fall to your death; watch out for yetis.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 alton

Donny5 - thanks for your reply, sounds like a nice option. Is this route waymarked or will we have to figure it out ourselves?

Would you have any recommendations for walking guides/maps for the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Judge

I think Donny meant to say Spinc not Scalp. I'd agree with his suggestion. All you have to do is follow the Wicklow Way as it climbs the hill to the south of Glenmalure. As you crest the top of the valley and begin to descend into Glendalough, the Wicklow Way joins a boardwalk made of railway sleepers built to protect the bog. Follow this until you get to a junction with another boardwalk.

You'll notice at this junction that as well as the yellow man Wicklow Way there are also red arrow waymarks. One direction will be going straight ahead following the Wicklow Way and the other will be pointing away to your left. This is the Spinc and Wicklow Way trail (AKA the Red Trail), which runs from Glendalough. Take the left turn and follow the red arrows onto the Spinc, overlooking the Glendalough lakes, and then continue to follow the red trail down into the valley.

More details about the Red Trail can be found here: http://www.wicklowmountainsnationalpark.ie/WalkingTrails.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Judge wrote: »
    I think Donny meant to say Spinc not Scalp.

Yup, you're right. It'd be a fair walk to the Scalp from Glenmalure.

Advertisement