Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying to aother state in the US, while on vacation, is this allowed?

Options
  • 14-02-2012 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I am an Irish Citizen,

I will be in holiday in San Francisca, California for one week next month...

during that week I would like to get up early one morning and fly to Seattle, (Washington state)... the flght takes around 2 hours.

What I want to know is, if I book the flights from San Francisco to Seattle and back later that day (or the next morning) will that be allowed? or will I get knocked back at SF airport?

Thanks

-L

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Why wouldn't you be allowed? I've flown internally in the states a few times and there's never been a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

That's no problem. You will just need ID (passport is fine).

If it's your first trip to the US, or first trip to the US in a while, remember to fill out the ETSA at least a few days before you travel.

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Why wouldn't you be allowed? The US is very much like the EU, once you're in, you're in.

Whether Seattle is worth the trouble is discussion for a different thread perhaps! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭antonymous

Shouldn't have any issues providing you're not looking for work. Saying that, don't be surprised if HS ask a question or two, but as long as you're not looking for work or wanting to stay past your 90 days you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 LeamD

Thanks, the reason why I was asking, is because I know how mad the US can be strange regarding their immigration system, and I was thinking that it might look like I was trying to disappear and hide undocumented in the USA.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

LeamD wrote: »
    Thanks, the reason why I was asking, is because I know how mad the US can be strange regarding their immigration system, and I was thinking that it might look like I was trying to disappear and hide undocumented in the USA.
    Nah, once you are in the country you can do as you wish for up to 90 days (within the limits of the law obviously ;) )

Great country to explore :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Savman wrote: »
    Why wouldn't you be allowed? The US is very much like the EU, once you're in, you're in.

Whether Seattle is worth the trouble is discussion for a different thread perhaps! :pac:

I think the thing about Seattle is that you either live it or hate it. I thought it was a cool city but ive spoken to one or two others who thought it was a dump. Op, you should have no problems, it's not like you're going to another country. Also I didn't realise it was so close you could go for a day trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

One quick question that kinda relates to this. What if after I fly to Seattle from San Francisco I then take the bus over the border to Vancouver how do I fare out visa wise? I'm an Irish citizen as well guys.

Cheers,
    M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

madmoe wrote: »
    One quick question that kinda relates to this. What if after I fly to Seattle from San Francisco I then take the bus over the border to Vancouver how do I fare out visa wise? I'm an Irish citizen as well guys.

Cheers,
    M

You'll be fine. We did it and had no issues. In fact when returning to the US our passports were swiped, they asked us when we were last in US and that was that. No hassle at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

madmoe wrote: »

The only 'gotcha' that could apply is if your ESTA expires while you are in the US. That in itself is not a problem (it only needs to be current on the day you present at a port of entry) but if it expires while you are there and you then leave and attempt to re-enter, they would probably refuse you entry under the visa waiver program (with no ESTA) and without an actual visa you'd be refused entry.

So if your ESTA is coming up to two years old and you're travelling to the US soon, you should apply for a new one so that you can come and go as you please while you're there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

coylemj wrote: »
    The only 'gotcha' that could apply is if your ESTA expires while you are in the US. That in itself is not a problem (it only needs to be current on the day you present at a port of entry) but if it expires while you are there and you then leave and attempt to re-enter, they would probably refuse you entry under the visa waiver program (with no ESTA) and without an actual visa you'd be refused entry.

So if your ESTA is coming up to two years old and you're travelling to the US soon, you should apply for a new one so that you can come and go as you please while you're there.

Makes total sense!!

Cheers,
    M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

antonymous wrote: »
    Shouldn't have any issues providing you're not looking for work. Saying that, don't be surprised if HS ask a question or two, but as long as you're not looking for work or wanting to stay past your 90 days you should be fine.

The only people they'll have to interact with are the TSA and they just grunt and shout to get you into the security line and make sure you have a valid boarding pass/ID. They don't ask questions about your trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Agreed. For domestic flights, the only interactions you'll have with the TSA/Homeland Security is when you first go thru security. A very bored looking individual sitting on a stool will look at the name on your photo ID to make sure that it matches what is on your boarding card. That is it. There will be no questions about you or your travel plans. Then they'll be the ones doing the checking of you and your hand luggage as you go thru the security bag screening. Again, there will be no questions about you or your travel plans. Domestic US travel is a lot less complicated & involved than international.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I'm n the States on holiday at the moment and took internal flights last week and had no problems whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Yes, the USA is a democracy and has freedom of travel, you will be allowed to travel anywhere as long as you have the correct documentation.

Advertisement