Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Build

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

SSDs mostly come in 2.5'' size rather than the 3.5'' which is standard for desktop HDDs. So you can put it into a laptop too. Laptops and desktops use the same hard drive connectors now.

The Fractal Design Define R3's drive trays are designed so that you can screw in 2.5'' drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Got the PC today :D
    Looks class. The case was well worth the extra money. The Germans did a great tidy job of building it.
    Just trying to put the ssd in now, I found out where the two 6GBPS sata slots are, they currently have my HD and the DVD burner connected to them.
    Will the HD function ok with a normal 3GBPS sata if I disconnect it from the 6GBPS slot?

Those are Serial ATA3 connectors.

P.S Does the cables for Serial ATAII , work with the ATA3?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Yes, it'll be perfectly fine, and yes, they do.

Great thanks.
    How does the SSD fit into the R3 case? not sure exactly how to get it fitted in there.

Can't remember exactly, but usually if the 3.5" mounts support 2.5" drives, there'll be four screw holes on the bottom of the caddy that screw from underneath into the bottom of the drive. If not, just shove it somewhere out of the way. It doesn't really matter how you mount the drive unless you're moving your case all the time. For months I just had my SSD hanging from the SATA cable.

• Advertisement

Thanks, I see that now.
    Have to screw it from the bottom which means Il have to have the SSD lieing upside down because the top side of the ssd is where the 4 screws go in.

Just getting ready to fire it up, but noticed this connection isnt connected to anything
    It says SS and has a usb symbol on it.
    What is that for?
    http://i.imgur.com/KrWj0.jpg

It is wrapped in cable ties so I'm guessing the Germans had no use for it.

That's a USB 3.0 header for front panel USB. As far as I can tell though, your motherboard doesn't have a USB 3.0 header.

Serephucus wrote: »
    That's a USB 3.0 header for front panel USB. As far as I can tell though, your motherboard doesn't have a USB 3.0 header.

Thanks for that. No bother. Going to boot her up now , I connected the SSD and disconnected the HDD and I will change the bios mode to ahci.

Currently downloading Monotypes Windows 7 X64 SP1 Disc.

While I am waiting, one more question.
    Theres one power cable coming from the PSU, which in turn leads to three connectors for the hardrives and SSDs.
    Once I get the Windows installed on the SSD, Is it ok to use all these together for my other 2 normal hardrives and the ssd. One connector leads to another hardrive etc.
    http://i.imgur.com/h4ncU.jpg

• Advertisement

Yup, that's what they're meant for.

For some reason the SP1 iso that is in Monotypes signature link isn't downloading fully for me.
    One stopped at 1.79 GB and second download stopped at 2GB.

I already downloaded the Windows 7 disc without SP1 last week, will I just insert that and download the SP1 via windows update?
    Does it make a difference?

Nope that'll be just the same. I downloaded the SP1 image yesturday for a laptop though, and it worked fine.

Grand, might try it from this link maybe third time lucky.
    http://www.w7forums.com/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads-t12325.html

They're the same files, as far as I can tell; they both come from Digital River.

Tried Monotypes link again, stopped at 2.0gb, maybe thats it complete?
    Although when downloading it said there was 3gb to be downloaded.

The Win7 HP SP1 64 ISO I have on my computer at the moment reads 3.09GB, so nope, something wrong there.

Where are you? If you're anywhere near Maynooth you can pop over and I can burn a disk for your or something if you really need it (been at it a while at this point. :P).

Edit: Never mind, just saw you're in Donegal. Forget that so. I could... fax you the binary code for it? All you'd have to do is scan and compile it. :)

Could be the browser that you're using? I remember some versions of internet explorer had problems with very big files. Or your internet connection could be dropping off - that's probably likely given that it's stopped at different sizes.

Can you resume the download? I know in Opera you can and I'm pretty sure you can do it in firefox.

Monotype wrote: »
    Could be the browser that you're using? I remember some versions of internet explorer had problems with very big files. Or your internet connection could be dropping off - that's probably likely given that it's stopped at different sizes.

Can you resume the download? I know in Opera you can and I'm pretty sure you can do it in firefox.

Good idea, I am using Chrome and I dont see any option to resume download.
    Il try firefox and Il connect the ethernet cable instead of wifi this time.

Edit: Never mind, just saw you're in Donegal. Forget that so. I could... fax you the binary code for it? All you'd have to do is scan and compile it. :)
    Dont even know what that means :D

OK, I just tried it in firefox and it just restarts the download.
    Works fine in opera if you cancel and resume dowloads.

Opera is :cool: !

• Advertisement

Monotype, where is that link gone for the Windows license that was in your signature?
    Cant find it now :D
    Edit:
    Never mind found it in your profile.

Pangea wrote: »
    Dont even know what that means :D

I was making a joke. The binary code for an OS would... be probably a few million pages long. Completely impractical to fax. I was just trying to think of the most long-arse way to get Windows to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I could... fax you the binary code for it? All you'd have to do is scan and compile it. :)

HA HA HA HA!

How is this going? Isn't there a trial windows iso available from MS?

10GB later and I finally got it downloaded. Just burning it now.
    Firefox worked a trick!
    The Binary method was looking appealing at one stage! :D

Just in BIOS now.
    Got into Storage Configuration.
    Changed it to AHCI.
    There is an option for Hard Disk S.M.A.R.T. Should I just leave that disabled?
    There is also a SATA Aggressive Link Power Managment - enabled.

I'd disable link management. It's only useful for laptops, and it can hinder TRIM. As for SMART, you might as well enable that too. If you install HD Tune Pro or something similar it can sometimes help with detecting potential failure.

Seem to be having a problem installing windows.
    Its been stuck at 12% Expanding windows files for a good while now and I can hear the DVD making a noise every few seconds, almost like its trying to do something but cant!
    Hopefully it will go a bit further than 12 but doesnt seem to be doing anything at the moment...

Ok just got a pop up.

Windows cannot install required files.
    The File may be corrupt or missing.
    Make sure all files required for isntallation are available and restart the installation.
    Error code: 0x80070017

:(

So what happens now and what this about?.
    I might just try the other windows seven disc I made last week without SP1.
    Since this was a failed install does this mean I have to format the SSD when the partition screen shows up?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Sounds like there's something wrong with your DVD; either the file is fine and it didn't burn to dvd correctly or the downloaded file is corrupt :(

Wait for these guys to confirm the next step. But sure if a partition is made, just install windows to the same partition, that'll be grand it'll overwrite it (format first if asked)

if u have an empty flash disk and working PC u could see if u can create a boot from usb disk? maybe ask deconduo about where u can download that. Hmmm.

• Advertisement

Thanks.
    Was reading on the net, it might be faulty disc or even the dvd writer.
    Lets hope its the disc.
    Low and behold I cant find the iso image now that I downloaded!
    Must of deleted when I burned it.
    Another hour and a half of downloading 3gbs if I want the SP1 disc!
    Technology really hates me.

Advertisement