Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boiler service

Options
  • 14-02-2012 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

Who pays for boiler service, tenant or landlord?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Anything like that is the reponsbility of the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

djimi wrote: »
    Anything like that is the reponsbility of the landlord.
    Thanks a million. Mods feel free to close!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭sailordog13

Sorry to digress, slightly.
    What about a tenant continually running out of oil, and pressing the reset button to hopefully squeeze another drop from the tank, and using same button to try and bleed the system. The pump eventually craps out, but in the mean time the service technician noted low pump pressure, and replaced the pump, (with permission), but landlord footed that bill too.

Should it not be that fittings, fixtures and appliances were handed over in good condition, and that it is the tenants responsibility to maintain them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

What about a tenant continually running out of oil, and pressing the reset button to hopefully squeeze another drop from the tank, and using same button to try and bleed the system. The pump eventually craps out, but in the mean time the service technician noted low pump pressure, and replaced the pump, (with permission), but landlord footed that bill too.

Should it not be that fittings, fixtures and appliances were handed over in good condition, and that it is the tenants responsibility to maintain them?

I would agree, it should. However, proving what the tenant did might prove a bit of a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

I would agree with djimi as regards boiler servicing (i.e. annual service). However, if it breaks down and it can be proved that the tenant was responsible for damage to the boiler, then the tenant pays, otherwise the landlord foots the bill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

odds_on wrote: »

I would agree with djimi as regards boiler servicing (i.e. annual service). However, if it breaks down and it can be proved that the tenant was responsible for damage to the boiler, then the tenant pays, otherwise the landlord foots the bill.
    The only reason I asked is that I got a giant gas bill (4x usual amount) and esb said only explanation is that boiler should be serviced every year. Apartment is 3 years old and I've been in it since July, first tenant as it was show apartment in a new development. There is no boiler service history

Advertisement