Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The State of O'Connell St

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

MarkMc wrote: »
    I think they mean the methadone dispensaries, theres lots of them in the city centre

I was wondering if that was what meant. 16 or so clinics in the city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

I had a nasty experience on O'Connell Street a few weeks ago. I was walking down the street with two mates, some randomer decided he was going to grab me and tried to hit me.

I'm not exactly the smallest guy. I knew O'Connell Street was bad, but this kind of shocked me.

did it happen during the day or at night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

did it happen during the day or at night?

Evening, on my way home from work. Think it was about 7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

no money to police the city properly, no money to put people behind bars, no money at all in this country. we all suffer for the next x amount of years

Evening, on my way home from work. Think it was about 7

so it would have been bright, shocking to think that it could happen so random. please god you 'defended yourself'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

La_Gordy wrote: »
    I think the worst part of O'Connell St, where it really really looks like sh!t is beside Dr Quirkeys. For a dilapidated building to be on one of the main streets in the first world is unbelievable!

You should see the state of Brussels!
    Spent a few months over there and the city centre is pretty rough to put it mildly.
    Dublin's far from unique tbh.

I'm always amazed that O'Connell Street doesn't have more shops. It's totally barren which other than Cleary's, Easons and a couple of other minor stores. All the life's off down a side street (Henry Street).

Very odd planning.

It's almost like the city centre was moved to Grafton Street / Stephen's Green and the Northern side of the City Centre was just abandoned.

Solair wrote: »
    You should see the state of Brussels!
    Spent a few months over there and the city centre is pretty rough to put it mildly.
    Dublin's far from unique tbh.

I'm always amazed that O'Connell Street doesn't have more shops. It's totally barren which other than Cleary's, Easons and a couple of other minor stores. All the life's off down a side street (Henry Street).

Very odd planning.

It's almost like the city centre was moved to Grafton Street and the Northern side of the City Centre was just abandoned.

systematic and deliberate anti north city bias carried out by DCC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

I understand why so many people are upset about what they think is the "state of O'Connell St."

Ye all think ye are better than the scum!

Ye all need to understand that they have the exact same rights as the rest of the people. They are all of our equals.

Once ye all realise this then the problem is resolved!

so it would have been bright, shocking to think that it could happen so random. please god you 'defended yourself'

I got the hell out of there. One lesson I've learnt in life, don't act the hard man when confronted by somebody off their face

I got the hell out of there. One lesson I've learnt in life, don't act the hard man when confronted by somebody off their face

oh likewise, thankfully im a good bit streetwise so if i sense something is going to happen i vanish

• Advertisement

catallus wrote: »
    I understand why so many people are upset about what they think is the "state of O'Connell St."

Ye all think ye are better than the scum!

Ye all need to understand that they have the exact same rights as the rest of the people. They are all of our equals.

Once ye all realise this then the problem is resolved!

I'm sorry but I disagree, somebody off their face on smack, robbing or attacking randomers on the street do not have the same rights as a law abiding citizen. For a start they should lose their right to freedom

I'm sorry but I disagree, somebody off their face on smack, robbing or attacking randomers on the street do not have the same rights as a law abiding citizen. For a start they should lose their right to freedom

They are precisely our equal in every way!

How can we be so insensitive to the rights of our fellow-citizens?

They are precisely our equal in every way!

How can we be so insensitive to the rights of our fellow-citizens?

when they are walking around like zombies thinking of who they will rob for their next hit they lose all rights in my book

when they are walking around like zombies thinking of who they will rob for their next hit they lose all rights in my book

I can't believe anybody can honestly believe that.

It is an obvious right for anyone to do as they please.

Ok, now you're just trolling. If you post in this thread again you will receive a ban

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭BrianG23

My Junkie adventure from College to OCS to Connolly

Naturally an army of beggers, same ones every day. But today, in the phone box across from Stephens green Luas station - Two junkies 'doing' something. Don't know if they were dealing or injecting, seems like the latter considering their stance and how slow they were.

So, all calm until OCS...north of Henry street of course ~ Two junkies arguing, threatening with raise fists and a...eh...manical women moaning in between them. Then there was the pram with a little kid in it. Spoiled my day.

Finally, an angry scumbag at the Garda station "It's abou ****in time, 20 minit ye said, **** sake" garda: "Sorry about that"

Might I add, a remarkable amount of sexy people...all over the place today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

What are you on about? So you think they have the right to rob, attack and verbally abuse random people going about their business? These assh*les should be rounded up and kicked into prison until they get straightened out.

Faith+1 wrote: »
    What are you on about? So you think they have the right to rob, attack and verbally abuse random people going about their business? These assh*les should be rounded up and kicked into prison until they get straightened out.

That post has already been actioned, move on please

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭AsianDub

Looks like there is a Chinese buffet restaurant opening up on the street.
    Tacky and not fitting for a main thoroughfare. Brutal.

edit: Japanese sushi place. Same place as the one on Liffey Street I think.
    Still don't think it belongs there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

DCC recently planned to restrict exactly that...for Grafton St.

Where admiralofthefleet when you need him?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

AsianDub wrote: »
    Looks like there is a Chinese buffet restaurant opening up on the street.
    Tacky and not fitting for a main thoroughfare. Brutal.

edit: Japanese sushi place. Same place as the one on Liffey Street I think.
    Still don't think it belongs there.

Surely a sushi place would look better than the 2 McDonalds, burger king, crappy holy relic shop half a dozen centra stores etc. If it's a proper restaurant it can only add to the area?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭becost

BeerNut wrote: »

I don't really mind O'Connell Street. It's comparable to working urban thoroughfares like Wenceslas Square, Times Square or Picadilly Circus: lively, not stand-offish.

:D

Are you for real? :D O'Connell street isn't remotely comparable to Times Square, Piccadilly Circus or Wenceslas Square:

nyc-condos-near-times-square-clinton_0.jpg

Wenceslas-Square.jpg

piccadilly-circus_1249605i.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭AsianDub

Lelantos wrote: »
    Surely a sushi place would look better than the 2 McDonalds, burger king, crappy holy relic shop half a dozen centra stores etc. If it's a proper restaurant it can only add to the area?

Oh I agree that it's better than what you mentioned and will add a bit to the area. I think they have a kinda hybrid Japanese sushi/Chinese buffet thing going on on Liffey St so not sure if they are a proper restaurant! :)

Just think OCS could be alot more than what it is. Finer restaurants and hotels or a proper shopping district perhaps as opposed to all the shops stuck down the side of Henry Street and in the Jervis and ILAC centres. You could argue then if the shops were all moved out from there what would replace them. Probably sushi bars and Chinese buffets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

becost wrote: »
    Are you for real? :D O'Connell street isn't remotely comparable to Times Square, Piccadilly Circus or Wenceslas Square

Wenceslas-Square.jpg

This is a romanticized image of wenceslas sq. The reality is its full of strip clubs, prostitution, pick pockets & some very shady hotels. OCS is a dream compared to it from my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

This has probably already been said but I think the main problem is that fact that there are so many people waiting around constantly for buses. This isn´t bad in itself -people need to get around - but it seems to attract the most unsavoury types. It´s a similar situation on Aston Quay. Both are just pick-up and drop-off points for people, with little else for them to do or see. Such is the nature of the principal thoroughfare though, it seems. I doubt that any other street could handle that amount of traffic or bus stops so it seems to have been sacrificed to that end.

It isn´t helped by the fact that the road is so wide, the buildings are ill-suited to retail and that once you finally reach the end you find yourself in the massive dump that is the Parnell St. area either.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Times Square in New York was a complete dive in the 70s and early 80s - full of homeless, beggars, hookers, drug addicts and assorted miscreants.

However it went through a huge clean up in the 90s and is very clean and safe today. Perhaps Dublin City Council could learn a few lessons?

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

Ravelleman wrote: »
    This has probably already been said but I think the main problem is that fact that there are so many people waiting around constantly for buses. This isn´t bad in itself -people need to get around - but it seems to attract the most unsavoury types. It´s a similar situation on Aston Quay. Both are just pick-up and drop-off points for people, with little else for them to do or see. Such is the nature of the principal thoroughfare though, it seems. I doubt that any other street could handle that amount of traffic or bus stops so it seems to have been sacrificed to that end.

It isn´t helped by the fact that the road is so wide, the buildings are ill-suited to retail and that once you finally reach the end you find yourself in the massive dump that is the Parnell St. area either.

I kind of agree about the bus stop situation. Aston Quay is so bad... there are so many people waiting on buses and they block people walking by, blow smoke in your face, etc. It would be nice to have a small bus station or at least have bus stops off the main thoroughfare so there's enough space for people to walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I got asked for money 3 times yesterday on o'conell street. I only stopped for less than 10 minutes for a smoke, got one lad with the old 'my name is peter I have my wife in the back of a van i need 20 euro to get her to hospital in england' and the other just asking for spare change/smokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,503 ✭✭✭bb1234567

systematic and deliberate anti north city bias carried out by DCC

No the north side used to be where all the wealthy georgians resided, but some high up figure, not sure who exactly built his mansion on the southside in a poor area. The aristocrasy were shocked by this and they all moved to the southside with him. Then the southside became the wealthier side of the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭darklighter

no money to police the city properly, no money to put people behind bars, no money at all in this country. we all suffer for the next x amount of years

When there was money to police the city & put people behind bars during the Celtic Tiger years, it wasnt spent. Instead it was spent on increasing the social welfare budget.
    JupiterKid wrote: »
    Times Square in New York was a complete dive in the 70s and early 80s - full of homeless, beggars, hookers, drug addicts and assorted miscreants.

However it went through a huge clean up in the 90s and is very clean and safe today. Perhaps Dublin City Council could learn a few lessons?

DCC & the central government dont have the bottle to make the tough decisions needed to re-gentrify the city centre. This issue is a microcosm of the problems facing the country & while we, the people (and yes, it is the fault of the people), keep electing the same ineffective people (and their relatives) to be our politicians, problems like O'Connell St wil continue to be ignored.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement