Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The State of O'Connell St

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

Another city (Dame st) video from late 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,503 ✭✭✭bb1234567

How lovely:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Well thats just the best thing ive ever seen :D :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭KingK

I believe that Dame St. fight was between Shamrock Rovers and Bohemians hooligans. I'v a friend who's a fan of one of the clubs and he told me about a fight on the street a while back,look's as though this was it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

KingK wrote: »
    I believe that Dame St. fight was between Shamrock Rovers and Bohemians hooligans. I'v a friend who's a fan of one of the clubs and he told me about a fight on the street a while back,look's as though this was it

Looked more like some weird version of musical chairs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

so again I had the mistfortune of having to stand waiting for my bus nea the the corner of Abbey st on O connel st. Again there were several zombie junkies including a woman passed out who came to periodically to mumble at passers by and then go back into her drunken state. another guy sitting on steps annoying passing tourists for cigarettes.

Amongst these two misfits were the usual parade of toothless, smelly tracksuit dwellers openly dealing and being a nuisance.

Not a cop to be seen anywhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

true wrote: »
    Its a pity as most tourists and shoppers do not like them. Was'nt there a survey in the city centre some time ago which said 79% of tourists did not wish to return to Dublin?

I think thats more to do with the level of overpricing in the hospitality sector..a meal and a few drinks in the touristy areas can cost an arm and a leg.

Dont get me started on the price of drink in Temple Bar:mad:

theteal wrote: »

lovely.

Was witness to a similar brawl in a cafe up by guinness...chairs and knives instead of hurls though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭floorpie

theteal wrote: »

As scummy and disturbing as this is to see, and as mangy as all the participants seem to be, i can't help but be impressed by the guy in the blue hoodie. He fended off three guys with hurls! Ye could spend the rest of your life doing Krav Maga, and defending yourself against three guys with weapons would still only be a theoretical hope.

floorpie wrote: »
    As scummy and disturbing as this is to see, and as mangy as all the participants seem to be, i can't help but be impressed by the guy in the blue hoodie. He fended off three guys with hurls! Ye could spend the rest of your life doing Krav Maga, and defending yourself against three guys with weapons would still only be a theoretical hope.

Word round teh campfire is that he was stopping the "woman" in the vid from getting a beating off the three guys.

The hurls were apparantly grabbed off some kids who were walking by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭floorpie

Degsy wrote: »
    Word round teh campfire is that he was stopping the "woman" in the vid from getting a beating off the three guys.

It looks to be that way alright. The whack from the guy in red broke the hurl in two; i wonder what damage that did to yer man's face. Either way, scummy and disappointing, but impressive enough at the same time. I'd have shat a brick that'd rival the height of the Spire beside it.

floorpie wrote: »
    It looks to be that way alright. The whack from the guy in red broke the hurl in two; i wonder what damage that did to yer man's face. .

Broke his jaw i think..god knows how he remained standing..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Was in Town last week and walked from O'Connell Street....saw three drug deals openly....Three!.....20E in the hands and getting tablets counted out.....Got on the bus home and as I got off the bus a plain clothes car pulled in a car, lights flashing, plain clothes guard/detective got out of the squad car roaring at the driver at the top of his voice, he didn't pull in fast enough apparently, and got roared at for...... being in the Bus Lane.

This made me mad/cry/laugh.

What the hell is wrong with this town.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

What the hell is wrong with this town.:(

Well I suppose you could improve it by reporting the bloody drug deals rather than moaning about them online.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Strangely enough I went looking for someone to report it to on Abbey Street. If I had found a Garda maybe I would have got my name taken and they would "get back to me" as has happened to me before.

I am still waiting to "be gotten back to".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Tommy Dillon

was in there last night. the place is just a complete hole. id love to know what tourists actually think.... what can you do i suppose? it has to come from alot higher than just an extra copper on the street, they would just go elsewhere and annoy someone else.what do you do with these drug addicts...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Jaysis, you'd think O'Connell St was a warzone the way some posts have illustrated it in this thread. I was walking up and down it tonight and there was not a problem. As with many many other nights. Barely a soul around, safe and very quiet.

If anything, Westmoreland St is much more likely to be where I see fights outside the convenience store on the quays and be 'hassled' for change etc. I'd much rather stay on O'Connell St all day. Aston Quay when the 78A was around was more dangerous too.

I came home from the match in Monaghan last Monday night at midnight and getting the Luas at Abbey St was a breeze, nobody around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

dfx- wrote: »
    Jaysis, you'd think O'Connell St was a warzone the way some posts have illustrated it in this thread. I was walking up and down it tonight and there was not a problem. As with many many other nights. Barely a soul around, safe and very quiet.

If anything, Westmoreland St is much more likely to be where I see fights outside the convenience store on the quays and be 'hassled' for change etc. I'd much rather stay on O'Connell St all day. Aston Quay when the 78A was around was more dangerous too.

I came home from the match in Monaghan last Monday night at midnight and getting the Luas at Abbey St was a breeze, nobody around.

The reason for it being so quite at midnight that all the hard working people are all at home after a hard days work and thus there is nobody to beg/steal/harass until the following morning.

I call it Knackernomics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

frag420 wrote: »
    The reason for it being so quite at midnight that all the hard working people are all at home after a hard days work and thus there is nobody to beg/steal/harass until the following morning.

I call it Knackernomics.

And I call that an infraction

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Well I suppose you could improve it by reporting the bloody drug deals rather than moaning about them online.

Waste of time.

They know damn well about it as it happens every day up there. I see one sucj deal every time I walk up Tablot Street.

No the guards in this country are just more interested in making the easy arrests then to actually go and deal with actual scum bags and knackers.

• Advertisement

Its during the day that the streets turn into something you would see on the Wire.

I guess they get really tired from all the dealing and drug taking and go home early every night.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭cson

I know my issue with O'Connell St when I started the thread is the absolute abandonement of any sense of City planning with the Corporation. Its a street of Fast Food and Convenience Stores and whilst I understand that you need some of these, the fact that the majority of the street is composed of them is very sad indeed. There exists the potential for a wonderful main thoroughfare. But from what I can see it's doomed due to [a] aforementioned lack of planning the toleration of the behaviour of unsavoury types (the only place I've seen similar in terms of a major City thoroughfare is Wenclaslas Square in Prague, no where else entertains the general gob****ery and scumbag behaviour that I see frequently in O'Connell St) and [c] the fact that its pretty much the major transit hub of the City.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

CucaFace wrote: »
    Its during the day that the streets turn into something you would see on the Wire.
    I guess they get really tired from all the dealing and drug taking and go home early every night.

an come on, its not that bad - LOL

seriously, have lived anywhere outside Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

cson wrote: »
    I know my issue with O'Connell St when I started the thread is the absolute abandonement of any sense of City planning with the Corporation. Its a street of Fast Food and Convenience Stores and whilst I understand that you need some of these, the fact that the majority of the street is composed of them is very sad indeed. There exists the potential for a wonderful main thoroughfare. But from what I can see it's doomed due to [a] aforementioned lack of planning the toleration of the behaviour of unsavoury types (the only place I've seen similar in terms of a major City thoroughfare is Wenclaslas Square in Prague, no where else entertains the general gob****ery and scumbag behaviour that I see frequently in O'Connell St) and [c] the fact that its pretty much the major transit hub of the City.

Try the main thoroughfares in Barcelona. They more than give Dublin a run for their money. I have to say, I've walked down and around O'Connell St. loads of times, at all times of day and night, and although I've seen a lot of shítty behaviour I've never noticed open dealing.

irishbird wrote: »
    an come on, its not that bad - LOL

seriously, have lived anywhere outside Ireland?

Yes i have.

All they are missing is the big red couch. :P

I know these problems (drug) exist everywhere, thats not my issue here.

Its the location where it has been ALLOWED to happen here that is my problem.

Right smack bang in the city centre where thousands of tourists visit everyday. Like it has been meantioned already many tourists get off the bus right there on o'Connell street from the airport and this is the first thing they see.

They sit there all day long, drinking cans and dealing heroin without one bit of fear of the Guards. They know nothing will be done to them. Nothing of real consequence anyway.

Nothing is being done about this and in the last year from what I can see (and i walk that street nearly everyday) it seems to be getting worse if anything.

They don't scare me as I know they are like Zombie's and if you keep your wits about you, everything is fine, but I just feel such a huge amount of embaressment when I see all the tourists looking at this in fear.

Its a national disgrace.

I'm not orginally from Dublin and i love this city, except for this one issue, and if this was solved that part of the city could be so much better.

CucaFace wrote: »
    Yes i have.

All they are missing is the big red couch. :P

I know these problems (drug) exist everywhere, thats not my issue here.

Its the location where it has been ALLOWED to happen here that is my problem.

Right smack bang in the city centre where thousands of tourists visit everyday. Like it has been meantioned already many tourists get off the bus right there on o'Connell street from the airport and this is the first thing they see.

They sit there all day long, drinking cans and dealing heroin without one bit of fear of the Guards. They know nothing will be done to them. Nothing of real consequence anyway.

Nothing is being done about this and in the last year from what I can see (and i walk that street nearly everyday) it seems to be getting worse if anything.

They don't scare me as I know they are like Zombie's and if you keep your wits about you, everything is fine, but I just feel such a huge amount of embaressment when I see all the tourists looking at this in fear.

Its a national disgrace.

I'm not orginally from Dublin and i love this city, except for this one issue, and if this was solved that part of the city could be so much better.

Everybody keeps talking about the tourists...these zombie-dudes arent exactly good for indiginous business either.

Degsy wrote: »
    Everybody keeps talking about the tourists...these zombie-dudes arent exactly good for indiginous business either.

Agreed.

That pedestrian part where Talbot street meets O'Connell street could be a really nice area if it weren't for the fact it is infested with scum and drug addicts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Was an article in the Herald today about making it an offence to carry the likes of valium,zopiclone,zimovaine etc without a valid prescription,there was a quote from the Dublin City Business Improvement District saying that the open dealing of those medications in the north inner city in particular is very problematic.

Also quoted a Dublin City Council survey where 36% of respondents cited drug dealing as the worse thing about Dublin.

Criminalisng more drugs isn't going to solve the problem in my opinion,until there is a concerted effort by AGS and DCC then new legislation will be pointless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

We have all the laws we need to solve these problems. The issue is that the law is not being enforced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

We have all the laws we need to solve these problems. The issue is that the law is not being enforced.

It could maybe start with something they do in Germany. Rather than sending somebody, who is under the influence of drugs into the nearest A&E, send them to police custody. They impose a harm to themselves and others. Maybe that will teach them the right lesson.

(A police custody in Germany always has medical staff round the corner)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement