Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roadworks: Font & Morris Roundabouts

Options
  • 14-02-2012 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

Work begins on Monday the 20th. I just got a email about it.

Comments

Also on the Galway Advertiser Facebook page
    Major road works at Font and Morris Roundabouts will begin on Monday February 20. The duration of these works is 12 weeks (approx.). To facilitate members of the public, there will be no lane closures between the hours of 7am and 7pm, while works are underway. Further details on this project are available at http://www.galwaycity.ie/N6/
    Image from the city council:
    130212_02.jpg
    Font and Morris are the Tuam road and Ballybrit/Ballybane roundabouts

The Headford Road roundabout should be starting soon after according to the above with all three to be complete before the VOR.

The Menlo and back of the hospital roundabouts will be later in the year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

It looks too ambitious.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Thanks, the names still don't do it for me !

snubbleste wrote: »
    It looks too ambitious.

I would have agreed with you before I saw how they managed the Briarhill road works.

I'd say barring any unforeseen issues, they should hit the target timeline for Font & Morris

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

I would have agreed with you before I saw how they managed the Briarhill road works.

I'd say barring any unforeseen issues, they should hit the target timeline for Font & Morris

Sorry to burst your bubble but it's not going to be the same contractor that did Briarhill.

Coffey has won the tender for these two (and afaik the other ones in the scheme too).

This is the same Coffey that's making a pigs ear of SQR.

Not a bit hopeful.

• Advertisement

Maybe now is the time to invest in a bicycle anto :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

antoobrien wrote: »
    Coffey has won the tender for these two (and afaik the other ones in the scheme too).

'Won'?? I whiff a tribunal down the road! Oh well, the nightly re-enactments by Joe Taylor will be entertaining at least...

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Maybe now is the time to invest in a bicycle anto :D

No need, already have one. I'm just aware that the bike or bus is not always the most practical mode of transport (try carrying golf clubs on a bike).

But If i'm going anywhere near town I've to go through one of these junctions.

jkforde wrote: »
    'Won'??

According to the e-tenders site yeah they have.

Link: http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=FEB308815

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Let's keep this on the topic - this particular roadworks and the impact it has on traffic flow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I hope this goes as smoothly as the Briarhill works.

Can't wait to see the Morris roundabout go.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭blahblahbla

This is such a bad idea, Bohermore and Briarhill are worse than they were before. At least finish off the westside disaster before starting another round of works. When politicians make obvious bad decisions like this I have to think whos getting paid off.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Thanks - you inspired me to do a map of the roundabout names - the fFrench name is gone from Google maps already, and I expect that Lynch will go at the next update.

Can just imagine the discussions we'll have in a year or two about what name each one had back in the day! ;)

Can someone confirm if most of the works are conducted at night? Council's Ciarán Hayes mentioned because these two are not located in substanial residential areas that night-time work would be carried out. Hence the no lane closures between 7am and 7pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

I'm not in Galway but I do have to visit.

Looks as though I've missed something, are they replacing all roundabouts with traffis lights?.

I'm not in Galway but I do have to visit.
    Looks as though I've missed something, are they replacing all roundabouts with traffis lights?.

Not all of them, mainly the ones on the N6. We will keep a few to remind us of olden times :cool:

Can someone confirm if most of the works are conducted at night? Council's Ciarán Hayes mentioned because these two are not located in substanial residential areas that night-time work would be carried out. Hence the no lane closures between 7am and 7pm

The "no lane closures" promise does not necessarily mean that works will progress at night. Maddens ran the briarhill RAB in this fashion and did a lot of the work during daylight hours.

It was when they had to close access to the various roads for paving (e.g. Monivea rd outbound) that lane closures took place at night.

Then again coffey of the SQR disaster is running these, so they'll probably do whatever they feel like.

Council infuriates motorists
    Galway city council is advising motorists to leave more time for their journeys and to refrain from slowing down to look at the roadworks.
    Motorists are angry that the sign advertising the works indicated there would be no lane closures between 7am and 7pm and yet one lane of the usual three was closed at peak time this morning.
    City council senior executive engineer Jim Molloy claims an illegally parked van caused some of the morning's problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭factual lies

went through both roundabouts today at 2.15pm exactly. There was one person working on the tuam road roundabout and 3 people on the ballybane roundabout. If this is going to be the trend for the roadworks, I'd imagine them being finished around 2014 !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

God getting through the Morris roundabout yesterday at about 5.30 was an absolute nightmare. There was a lane closed.

Not impressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

went through both roundabouts today at 2.15pm exactly. There was one person working on the tuam road roundabout and 3 people on the ballybane roundabout. If this is going to be the trend for the roadworks, I'd imagine them being finished around 2014 !!!

As someone else already pointed out it's the same clowns that are doing SQR so I wouldn't expect anything else.

Traffic on the Tuam road was backed up to two mile ditch this morning,lots of people turning around and going through Parkmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

I didn't know the SQR developers were running this project until now. What bothers me about SQR is how much of a chicane-like driving experience it incurs in the finished sections!. Apart from that teenage girl loosing her life already (RIP) & numerous other minor traffic accidents, I am seriously concerned for the implementations ahead.

I pass through SQR most days & feel that you have to treat it like a car park as opposed to a major city road in terms of hazards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

What was the traffic like at these roundabouts the last couple if days?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭slick89

The roundabout by Monaghans had all lanes open this morning so got from Claregalway to town in about 20 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Left work just before 6 yesterday and traffic was about the lightest I've ever seen at that time, no delays at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Getting out of Ballybrit estate took 15 minutes at 5:30pm yesterday, and 20 mins the day before. Normally takes 2 mins, tops. But once we were past the RAB, normal time.

I couldn't see any lane closures from the bus, except maybe the left turn into the DC, which is usually empty anyway 'cos everyone doing that uses the slip road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Email sent yesterday evening @ 17h19 from Galway City Council's Transportation Unit to employers in the vicinity of the Roadworks
    To minimise the Traffic Disruption over the duration of the works to convert the
    Font & Morris Roundabouts to Signalised Junctions, it has been necessary to remove
    the existing islands at the roundabouts.
    The removal of these islands will enable the contractor to maintain the traffic flows
    at both Roundabouts at pre-works levels.

While the removal of these islands has resulted in the temporary removal of filter lanes
    on the approaches to the roundabouts, this will not result in the closure of any traffic lanes
    for the duration of the works.

Galway City Council regrets any inconvenience these works have caused and we are
    working closely with our project partners in the National Roads Authority, AECOM, RPS
    and Coffey Construction (I) Ltd to ensure that disruption to commuters, business and
    residents is kept to a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Ignoring the no lane closures promise again, Coffey have now closed the inside lane on the ballybrit roundabout.

Can a contractor be barred from tendering for contracts due to past gross incompetence?

dloob wrote: »
    Ignoring the no lane closures promise again, Coffey have now closed the inside lane on the ballybrit roundabout.

That's ballybane/mervue but most definitely not ballybrit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

dloob wrote: »

Can a contractor be barred from tendering for contracts due to past gross incompetence?

Good luck arguing that point with the GTU in City Hall.

Advertisement