Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roadworks: Font & Morris Roundabouts

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

You would reduce overall throughput of vechiculars movements through the junction if you did it as proposed. If that is a bad or good thing? Thats up for debate.

how so?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

You would reduce overall throughput of vechiculars movements through the junction if you did it as proposed. If that is a bad or good thing? Thats up for debate.

how so?

Because for every lane that wants to turn right they'd be the only lane moving at the junction at that time. Would create huge traffic build ups at peak times and it's a fix to a problem that isn't even there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

s_carnage wrote: »
    Because for every lane that wants to turn right they'd be the only lane moving at the junction at that time. Would create huge traffic build ups at peak times and it's a fix to a problem that isn't even there.

are you guess this is the case or can you point me to a report backing up this claim.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

are you guess this is the case or can you point me to a report backing up this claim.
    At the moment there is traffic from two roads passing through at any time.
    You are proposing that traffic from only one road of four pass at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

You don't need to back up common sense...... look at moneen junction, only one arm of the junction is allowed to proceed through at any givn time which really reduces the amount of cars you can get through the junction, in the case of these new junctions, two arm of the junction are allowed to proceed at any given time, this allows far more cars to enter the junction therefore reducing waiting time at lights. This is the standard way that traffic lights work in every other country and nearly everywhere in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

yer man! wrote: »
    You don't need to back up common sense......

Source? ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C5_dOEyAfk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The first time you travel through that Junction it does take you by surprise to find oncoming traffic also trying to turn right.

I do remember being surprised the first time I drove it (and that's after being a taxi passenger lots of times beforehand).

But really it just reminded me of driving at home, where that kind of "both right at once" arrangement is common, and works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

lo and behold, they've changed the lane alignment paint job & amended the western approach sign at the Morris junction. now it works like it should have from the very start, both lanes straight on with the normal right turn filtering off. happy daze.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

So far I've witnessed two people go through red lights at the Morris junction. It wasn't a case of sneaking through after orange had turned to red, it was one or two phases on in the sequence.

One person decided to drive from Ballybane side towards Boston scientific just as traffic on N6 was pulling out heading towards Briarhill. Luckily the two cars on N6 spotted the idiot and stopped in time.

The other occasion a person on the N6 heading to Briarhill just kept edging their way out until they forced traffic already moving through the junction to stop and let them through. Away he/she went down the dual carriage way without a care in the world!

It's scary to think there's such idiots out there that even traffic light cause them problems.

I generally never even think to look left or right if going through traffic light junction, I will any more!

Advertisement