Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roadworks: Font & Morris Roundabouts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 wes31

All i can say is its coffey what were ye expecting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I would forgive them closing a lane for an hour or two around mid morning as long as it fully opened for the rush hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I would forgive them closing a lane for an hour or two around mid morning as long as it fully opened for the rush hour.

I wouldn't like to see it closed any time 7am-7pm on a friday, the traffic routine is vastly different from other the days with factories & offices getting out earlier etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Drove past at 9 and again at 11, all lanes open.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Email sent yesterday evening @ 17h19 from Galway City Council's Transportation Unit to employers in the vicinity of the Roadworks
    remove the existing islands at the roundabouts.
    The removal of these islands will enable the contractor to maintain the traffic flows.

IMHO they've done good:

On the south side of the Morris RAB, not only have they build an alternative set of (temporary) ramps to the footpath for pedestrians, they've also make it safer by moving the crossing point further down the road, which gives a better view of cars coming off the RAB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Looks like it was only temporary they have moved the cones back and it's two lanes again now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Why are they chopping down the trees along this route? The place looks very bare without that foliage.
    Is the road being widened?

snubbleste wrote: »
    Why are they chopping down the trees along this route? The place looks very bare without that foliage.

The footprint of the new junction on both will be slightly wide than the current RABs

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭liam12989

Does anyone know what the number 3 bus.( Ballybrit) will do now with no roundabout there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

snubbleste wrote: »
    Michael Crowe insisted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

liam12989 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the number 3 bus.( Ballybrit) will do now with no roundabout there?

That route is certainly taking a hammering! I'm struggling to think of an answer........they way things are set up there is no (legal) way to cross over straight across the road the continue along the monivea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

There will be a bus stop and a turning facility provided to the North of the junction.
    See:
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/180711_02.pdf

Can also get a good idea of the footprint of the junction compared with the roundabout as this is also marked in this document as well.

There will be a bus stop and a turning facility provided to the North of the junction.
    See:
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/180711_02.pdf

Can also get a good idea of the footprint of the junction compared with the roundabout as this is also marked in this document as well.

Isn't there some kind of "bus gate" on the Monivea Rd to allow the #3/403 buses (and just the buses) across the road here. All other traffic trying to get from Mervue to the Monivea Rd will have to use this turning facility.

Afaik the #5/405 will be the one using the turning facility - but that's being discussed on the bus routes thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

antoobrien wrote: »
    Isn't there some kind of "bus gate" on the Monivea Rd to allow the #3/403 buses (and just the buses) across the road here. All other traffic trying to get from Mervue to the Monivea Rd will have to use this turning facility.

Afaik the #5/405 will be the one using the turning facility - but that's being discussed on the bus routes thread.

Your right re BUS Gate - its not traffic light controlled though so not sure about the transponders theory or perhaps they are future proofing? I say the #3/403 bus may use the turning facility until then? Even though once the junction is traffic light controlled - should make it easier for a bus driver to cross both yellow boxes. Anyhow based on changes made to the recent Briarhill junction from the original plans not 100% sure will the Morris be done exactly to these plans anyhow as shown in the link http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/180711_02.pdf

Will believe it when I see it.

Your right re BUS Gate - its not traffic light controlled though so not sure about the transponders theory or perhaps they are future proofing? I say the #3/403 bus may use the turning facility until then? Even though once the junction is traffic light controlled - should make it easier for a bus driver to cross both yellow boxes. Anyhow based on changes made to the recent Briarhill junction from the original plans not 100% sure will the Morris be done exactly to these plans anyhow as shown in the link http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/180711_02.pdf

Thanks, I haven't heard any details about the proposed bus gate other than there's supposed to be one.

On the other hand, regardless of how the bus gate is operated there are two right turns off the ballybane road (to Mervue and to the Monivea Rd). I can see that being a bit of a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

Quick Questions
    What is the morning commute / traffic like around these junctions currently?
    How early would you advise departing Knocknacarra to get to Parkmore before 8:45am?

My guess: if I were to leave by 7:45am (1hr trip) and head over the bridge, through these junctions, it's do-able. If I left anytime after that, I would expect to fail!.

Is it still risky & should I depart a bit earlier? or should I just go through Salthill -> City Centre -> Lough Atalia -> Old Dublin Rd past Merlin Park? (which avoid both roundabouts, but is longer and has it's own share of bottlenecks).

Yes yes I have thought of walking / cycling / parachuting / etc etc, but the car is essential while I'm over there. So for the sake of estimation, please assume car is the mode of transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Quick Questions
    What is the morning commute / traffic like around these junctions currently?
    How early would you advise departing Knocknacarra to get to Parkmore before 8:45am?

My guess: if I were to leave by 7:45am (1hr trip) and head over the bridge, through these junctions, it's do-able. If I left anytime after that, I would expect to fail!.

Is it still risky & should I depart a bit earlier? or should I just go through Salthill -> City Centre -> Lough Atalia -> Old Dublin Rd past Merlin Park? (which avoid both roundabouts, but is longer and has it's own share of bottlenecks).

Yes yes I have thought of walking / cycling / parachuting / etc etc, but the car is essential while I'm over there. So for the sake of estimation, please assume car is the mode of transport.

If your worried about traffic at the roundabouts i suggest a third option to consider: get to the menlo park roundabout & head out the headford road. A few miles out there is a right turn that will take out to the tuam road just beyond monagahan's/galway plate/north point. Take left & head out the tuam road & again after a couple of miles there's a right that will take you to parkmore from the opposite side.

Like this:

http://maps.google.ie/maps?saddr=Carragh+Hill&daddr=53.300168,-9.0353433+to:53.3036083,-9.0202262+to:Unknown+road&hl=en&ll=53.287487,-9.024754&spn=0.067216,0.181789&sll=53.300928,-9.002266&sspn=0.067194,0.181789&geocode=FbS3LAMduBR1_w%3BFchLLQMdsSF2_ylhq3qkpZZbSDHQrSr9pscAEw%3BFThZLQMdvlx2_ynpkoqtrJZbSDFhtbj8pscAEw%3BFepNLQMdGdt2_w&mra=dpe&mrsp=2&sz=13&via=1,2&t=m&z=13

I'm disregarding the seamus quirke roadworks btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

I think people are avoiding these roundabouts like the plague. My drive in on the Tuam Road has been quicker than usual, particularly around 8-9am.

Same thing happened with the last one

Will believe it when I see it.

I heard there was a change to the plan to add a right turn onto ballybane road from the monivea road based on complaints from residents.
    I guess this will replace or share space with the bus gate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

sentient_6 wrote: »
    If your worried about traffic at the roundabouts i suggest a third option to consider: get to the menlo park roundabout & head out the headford road. A few miles out there is a right turn that will take out to the tuam road just beyond monagahan's/galway plate/north point. Take left & head out the tuam road & again after a couple of miles there's a right that will take you to parkmore from the opposite side.
    Yeah I had considered that route already but was told by a friend that the Tuam road right turn up to Parkmore was mental. Also that the cops had already started camping out there catching people skipping the queue and dangerously U-turning further up the road to come back on the other side and make a handy left turn instead.

As @WallyGUFC was essentially saying "word on the street" can have a huge affect on the actual flow of traffic in a particular area. I'm falling in to that trap also it would appear.

I think my only secure option is to give myself over an hour to cross the city. The last time I left the house at 7:40am to do a similar trip I completed the journey in 20mins.

It's clear that most people who travel to work in the morning must complete their pre-work routine in sync.

Just listening to GBFM, they're reporting that one of the lanes is closed causing a backlog on the tuam Rd. They're advising that anybody leaving town should use Bothar Na dTreabh (KR is calling it the eastern bypass, muppet) if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

antoobrien wrote: »
    Just listening to GBFM, they're reporting that one of the lanes is closed causing a backlog on the tuam Rd. They're advising that anybody leaving town should use Bothar Na dTreabh (KR is calling it the eastern bypass, muppet) if possible.

What does dTreabh mean?

JustMary wrote: »
    What does dTreabh mean?

I think it's tribe, but I've not seen that spelling of it before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Tuiseal ginideach, as in Cathair na dTreabh (City of the Tribes).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Traffic collision at the Font roundabout (soon to be be junction #3445065) at the moment leading to serious delays

They are starting to lay some of the traffic islands and kerbing in the middle of the Morris roundabout now.
    I'm surprised at how high it is, it looks like the new junction will 2 feet higher than the existing road surface.

Just got a communciation in work

From next week there will be increased road works on the N6, Morris Roundabout, with lane closures expected on all access roads to the roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,497 ✭✭✭irishgeo

have they finished the tuam rd one yet?

heading up there tonight so i wondering what i am going to heading into?

• Advertisement

irishgeo wrote: »
    have they finished the tuam rd one yet?

heading up there tonight so i wondering what i am going to heading into?

No, it's still going but in fairness they did say 3 months. There might be slight delays but nothing major as all lanes are more or less still open

Advertisement