Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roadworks: Font & Morris Roundabouts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

irishgeo wrote: »
    have they finished the tuam rd one yet?

heading up there tonight so i wondering what i am going to heading into?

Progress on the Morris looks a lot further along: traffic islands are built, and I can see roughly where the lanes are going. Also they started clearing out the area where the bus-stop will go this week, too.

Big changes here this morning:

The rounded sides of the RAB are no longer road, and it's now functioning like a 4-way junction, with "yield right of way" signs on all arms. There's a new mini-roundabout thing in there too, but I couldn't quite see what it's for.

However it looks like the dual carriageway is not actually yielding, so big delays down Monivea Rd (west side coming from town), and I guess Ballybane Rd too.

A Bus Eireann inspector was walking away from a site visit as I went past, not sure if the 403 can fit around the mini-RAB or will need to do a right turn into Ballybane Rd.

Pedestrian access is maintained, a little bumpier than it was in places, but it was actually easier to cross 'cos the cars were more cautious.

Happy travels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Yes big delays on Ballybane road, traffic back almost to GMIT around 8:40 and getting longer as it was barely moving.
    Petty clear on dual carriage way arms.
    Maybe they should put in some temporary lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I would have thought that they were going to make all these junctions signalised, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I would have thought that they were going to make all these junctions signalised, no?

Yes they are, I mean lights or something to relieve tailbacks on the ballybane road while the works are on going.
    I guess it's only for a few weeks anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

JustMary wrote: »
    There's a new mini-roundabout thing in there too, but I couldn't quite see what it's for.

They did something similar in Briarhill, they made the RAB smaller and smaller as they changed the lines and resurfaced the road. That'll probably be the last thing to go here as well.

I couldn't believe how high the traffic islands were wrt the rest of the road surfaces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

Progress on the Morris looks a lot further along: traffic islands are built, and I can see roughly where the lanes are going. Also they started clearing out the area where the bus-stop will go this week, too.

Does that mean there's finally going to be a bus stop in the Ballybrit Industrial Estate? I remember there was some mention of that in the new bus routes topic but it wasn't certain yet because Bus Eireann's map was a bit unclear.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Goofy

Does that mean there's finally going to be a bus stop in the Ballybrit Industrial Estate? I remember there was some mention of that in the new bus routes topic but it wasn't certain yet because Bus Eireann's map was a bit unclear.
    Yes. About 100m in from the junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

More hold ups on the Font roundabout came in email

ESB Works at Font Roundabout.
    Lane Closure on N6 Eastbound Approach to and Exit from Font Roundabout - 7pm Wednesday March 28th Until 7am Thursday April 5th.

Motorists are advised to use alternative routes where Possible

Storm 10 wrote: »
    ESB Works at Font Roundabout.
    Lane Closure on N6 Eastbound Approach to and Exit from Font Roundabout - 7pm Wednesday March 28th Until 7am Thursday April 5th.

Yeah it was really bad with that lane closure this morning, up until now I've had no delays at all in the morning traffic going eastbound around 9:30, now it was 25 minutes delay.

I thought the deal was that they wouldn't close lanes during rush hour traffic? Or did that only apply to Briarhill.

PS Where can you sign up to those emails? It would be great to know stuff like this in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭coup1917

Jesus Friday has become synonomous with traffic in galway.....
    Tried getting across town today towards ballybrit... Road upto font RAB was terrible. The rat runs up sandy road and liosbaun were worse. Ended up queing to get through font, only 1 lane open on a friday evening...:rolleyes:

Are they working on both roundabouts now in a panic to be ready for this ocean race..?

Is it true menlo roundabout wont be changed...?
    Between SQR mess and the two RABs the city is turning into a right farce...

Cmon visa application....get me outta here quick.....!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 alcan

Have 'improvements' on the Morris Roundabout been halted, or don't they work at weekends? I heard a rumour that they had been working from the wrong plans :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Load of them up on the SQR at the Aldi turnoff this weekend. Maybe the ESB won't do the power cable reroute if Coffeys lads are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭mercuroman

alcan wrote: »
    I heard a rumour that they had been working from the wrong plans :confused:

Also heard that but not sure. Didn't seems to be many working on either one this morning as I came through - but I was earlier than usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

mercuroman wrote: »
    Also heard that but not sure. Didn't seems to be many working on either one this morning as I came through - but I was earlier than usual.

That rumour about the wrong plans was an April fools joke last Friday morning that backfired on Galway Bay FM, they had to issue an apology on Friday evening as it caused a lot of hassle for Coffeys and the City Council.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    That rumour about the wrong plans was an April fools joke last Friday morning that backfired on Galway Bay FM, they had to issue an apology on Friday evening as it caused a lot of hassle for Coffeys and the City Council.

Serves them right.

I was in a taxi at 8:50am on Friday, and heard them starting it. The man who does traffic reports (John someone?) came on with this big story that he'd apparently just heard. Quite an elaborate tale, that boiled down to them accidentally using plans from the now-postponed Kirwan RAB at the Morris and/or Font RABs. Claimed that as a result:
    1. SQR was immediately to be downgraded to to low priority, and all the workers moved across to Morris and Font.
    2. The they'd spend the next week digging out all traffic islands etc done so far, and start it all again.
    3. To facilitate getting this done in just one week, both junctions would be totally closed to traffic.

Personally, I was saying "nah, it's an early April fools gig" as soon as I heard the "SQR downgraded" bit. (Among other things, the Kirwan plans probably weren't finished when Morris & Font started). But the taxi driver bought it hook, line and sinker right 'til the last but about the junctions being closed for a week.

Sounded to me like breakfast-show-guy was setting Keith Finnegan up for lots of council-bashing calls.

April Fools jokes just ain't funny unless it's the 1st, though.

Was talking to my brother last night, he said that the junction on the Tuam Rd is becoming a bit of a safety nightmare. Apparently the mini RAB looks like a junction when coming from Ballinfoyle, so the traffic coming from this side aren't stopping - thinking they have right of way when they don't.

It's also taking extreme times to get through this junction, so much so that anybody in the factory he works from the east of the city/county in has changed their hours to avoid using these junction at peak times and/or using various alternative routes.

Anybody else having similar experiences on these junctions during the works?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

They are a nightmare both of them, there were two accidents yesterday at the Morris one, every time I enter go around it its an accident waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭kevin65

Aerohead wrote: »
    They are a nightmare both of them, there were two accidents yesterday at the Morris one, every time I enter go around it its an accident waiting to happen.
    I have to go through both of them every day to and from work and they are a total nightmare. Wish they finish the f***ing job ASAP.

kevin65 wrote: »
    I have to go through both of them every day to and from work and they are a total nightmare. Wish they finish the f***ing job ASAP.

If the original time frame is accurate (12 weeks from 20th Feb) only another month to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭kevin65

antoobrien wrote: »
    kevin65 wrote: »

If the original time frame is accurate (12 weeks from 20th Feb) only another month to go.
    I'll have to go through them another 40 times then :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

They are awful alright. I go through the Tuam Road one four times a day and my heart is in my mouth every time, and that's not even at peak times.

Traffic there is a bit better now, I've started using the roundabouts again. For me (starting at 9:30) it was only bad when they had the that lane closed 24hrs due to the ESB work. While that was ongoing (after the first time I was caught), I took the dublin road and then through ballybrit, traffic there was fine. But it seems to be back to normal. Even the way back was surprisingly good this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

antoobrien wrote: »
    Was talking to my brother last night, he said that the junction on the Tuam Rd is becoming a bit of a safety nightmare. Apparently the mini RAB looks like a junction when coming from Ballinfoyle, so the traffic coming from this side aren't stopping - thinking they have right of way when they don't.
    Something similar is happening on the ballybrit roundabout. Traffic coming up from the Tuam road are just rolling into the junction across the entrance to the Ballybrit Business Park. Anyone exiting the roundabout to go to HP/Boston SC are nearly T-Boning the Tuam road traffic.
    Happened me this morning, and yer one didn't have a clue what she did wrong when I blew my horn at her. I had to stop to drive around the back of her. :rolleyes:

traffic lights are in, looks like they are on the final stretch, should make the 20th May with ease

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭DanielI

traffic lights are in, looks like they are on the final stretch, should make the 20th May with ease

15th of June according to this:
    http://www.water.galwaycity.ie/gcc/Home/SupplyInterruptions.aspx
    (Click on the roadworks icons on the map; the from/to dates at the bottom of the caption)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Whatever about people not indicating on large roundabouts, no indication on these temporary mini ones is lethal.

What goes through a person's mind when they actively decide not to indicate? Absolute morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

Whatever about people not indicating on large roundabouts, no indication on these temporary mini ones is lethal.

What goes through a person's mind when they actively decide not to indicate? Absolute morons.

Oh but sure they're more important people like, they can't be seen to indicate.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Also on the Galway Advertiser Facebook page

Major road works at Font and Morris Roundabouts will begin on Monday February 20. The duration of these works is 12 weeks (approx.). To facilitate members of the public, there will be no lane closures between the hours of 7am and 7pm, while works are underway. Further details on this project are available at http://www.galwaycity.ie/N6/

I am Delighted to report to thethat 12 weeks from the 20th of February means all the work will be finshed by next Monday the 14th of May.

As for the 'special' page the corpo have http://www.galwaycity.ie/N6/ . It hasn't been touched since February. :D

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I am Delighted to report to thethat 12 weeks from the 20th of February means all the work will be finshed by next Monday the 14th of May.

As for the 'special' page the corpo have http://www.galwaycity.ie/N6/ . It hasn't been touched since February. :D

Now in fairness, you yourself quoted "The duration of these works is 12 weeks (approx.)."

Morris is close, but not way will it be finished by next Monday.

Advertisement