Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roadworks: Font & Morris Roundabouts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Looks like a lot of the islands and lights are in place at Morris and they have started laying the road surface on the new bits that are closed off from traffic.
    Shouldn't be too much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

JustMary wrote: »
    Now in fairness, you yourself quoted "The duration of these works is 12 weeks (approx.)."

Morris is close, but not way will it be finished by next Monday.

I think you missed the sarcasm there JustMary, Sponge Bob wouldn't believe the city council if they said today was Thursday 10th May.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

O I heard it all right .. just chose to ignore it. :D

Next Monday, I don't believe.

But it's not that far off either: Monday fortnight is probably possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭kevin65

Hope they finish soon. There was an accident between two cars on one of the 'roundabouts' on Friday evening, nothing major, but makes me even more cautious going through them.

They are laying more tarmac today.

Regarding being more cautious, I wish everyone was like that. Just came through it 5 mins ago and a twit in a merc came barreling off one of the exits just as I was about to pass it. Didn't even glance to see if anything was coming i.e. me!. Missed him by mm's I'd say

• Advertisement

Did the roadworks at the roudabouts contribute to the traffic delays this morning, or was there a crash somewhere? Hope it was just a once off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Todays Galway Independent.

http://galwayindependent.com/stories/item/2403/2012-21/Tuam-Rd-businesses-%27cripped%27-by-roadworks

Tuam Rd businesses 'crippled' by roadworks

select quotes.
    “The obvious thing to do when they are doing the work, literally outside my door and blocking the entrance into the filling station, would have been to do it at night time,” said Mr Parsons.

Mr Boland said there had been differing responses from Galway City Council as to whether the road works would be completely finished by the end of May, or whether only the lights would be switched on.

Attempts to reach a spokesperson for Galway City Council proved fruitless yesterday.

and a photo that says it all.

p_TexacoTuamRoad-3_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I went into that Petrol Station two weeks ago and every single Petrol Pump was out of order. The Diesel Pumps were okay.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    ... the obvious thing .. would have been to do it at night

Residents of Glenburren Park and surrounding streets may disagree with that perspective.

JustMary wrote: »
    Residents of Glenburren Park and surrounding streets may disagree with that perspective.

They didn't seem to have that concern in Birarhill, an seanbahile is as close to the former lyncg rab as monivea pk is to the ballybane rab and closer than glenburren is to the tuam rd rab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

antoobrien wrote: »
    They didn't seem to have that concern in Birarhill, an seanbahile is as close to the former lyncg rab as monivea pk is to the ballybane rab and closer than glenburren is to the tuam rd rab.

Would disagree re Monivea pk distance to the Morris. Still its no excuse could have done much of the work in the evenings, they had far more daylight to complete these works compared to when the Briarhill junction was constructed.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

Sweet jesus I hope they finish the morris rab soon...with the tiny temporary roundabout in, its bare-knuckle stuff down there at peak times (eventually un-clenches from steering wheel)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Heading East across Galway every morning this week I have felt sorry for anyone heading West towards the Ballybane junction. The mini roundabout can't cope with the huge tidal waves of traffic being pumped down the DC from Briarhill.

The works look like they are on the home stretch now. Hopefully it won't take too much longer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

http://www.galwaynews.ie/26043-tuam-road-businesses-outraged-delay-turning-lights-flemings-junction

May 29, 2012 - 5:45pm
    The Council confirmed to FYI Galway this evening that the lights at what was the Font roundabout will be turned on next Wednesday.

After the Bank Holiday Weekend.

No mention of the Ballybrit Roundabout....maybe things are more advanced there or maybe further behind, anyone seen any lights on. ???

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    http://www.galwaynews.ie/26043-tuam-road-businesses-outraged-delay-turning-lights-flemings-junction

May 29, 2012 - 5:45pm

After the Bank Holiday Weekend.

No mention of the Ballybrit Roundabout....maybe things are more advanced there or maybe further behind, anyone seen any lights on. ???

It has appeared to be more advanced, all the pavements seem to be done now, but it all still needs to be surfaced.
    No sign of any lights being on yet.

From passing through every day it looks to be going at at snails pace. There doesn't look like there are many workers at either of the roundabouts.

kevin65 wrote: »
    From passing through every day it looks to be going at at snails pace. There doesn't look like there are many workers at either of the roundabouts.

The work at Morris is just about done, they're landscaping and the like now.

Spotted lights technical guys there yesterday am doing stuff to the pedestrian buttons. No sign of lights on yet, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

kevin65 wrote: »
    They're working at night recently, laying tarmac so as to avoid major disruption. Monday night they had multiple lanes closed. It's almost ready anyway, be interesting to see how the incompetent drivers of Galway deal with the lights...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    They're working at night recently, laying tarmac so as to avoid major disruption. Monday night they had multiple lanes closed. It's almost ready anyway, be interesting to see how the incompetent drivers of Galway deal with the lights...

I thought the drivers were only incompetent when they came to roundabouts. :)

WallyGUFC wrote: »

I thought the drivers were only incompetent when they came to roundabouts. :)
    Oh, Galway drivers are very talented, they are incompetent at every kind of junction...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭paulgalway

Was behind a juggernaut going down to the Tuam rd roundabout this morning, it was coming from Ballybrit roundabout.

Driver had great difficulty making left turn towards Flemmings, he had to pull over onto the right-hand lane to turn left.

It was a Galway reg.

I can see this being a problem in the future as the road on the left turn is not very wide and it is a 90 degree turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

paulgalway wrote: »
    Was behind a juggernaut going down to the Tuam rd roundabout this morning, it was coming from Ballybrit roundabout.

Driver had great difficulty making left turn towards Flemmings, he had to pull over onto the right-hand lane to turn left.

It was a Galway reg.

I can see this being a problem in the future as the road on the left turn is not very wide and it is a 90 degree turn.

It's the same coming from Claregalway direction turning left towards Ballybrit, very acute angle on the corner, I wouldn't like to be a truck driver on those junctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Absolutely stunned yesterday at the stupidity of some drivers approaching the temporary junction at the Tuam Rd. I don't know how no-one has been killed there!

Firstly someone decided they didn't need to go around the mini roundabout to turn right over towards Terryland coming in from Claregalway.

Secondly someone went through it at speed, (I would estimate between 40-50 mph) coming from Terryland side and going straight through. Someone could very easily have pulled out from the Tuam Rd or been making their way around from one of the other exits and at that speed a death was inevitable.

I can't stand people giving out about how it's been left and how it's dangerous and it's the company's fault.
    If people had a bit of cop on at it and approached it with care there would be very few problems! People are the problem, not the ones doing the job!

Sorry about the rant!!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

It was a Galway reg.

I think to make the left turn you describe, there is a slip road going in, from the plans it looks like you have to take the slip road to go left so that eliminates the sharp turn. Not sure about some of the other sharp turns.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭paulgalway

Sconsey wrote: »
    I think to make the left turn you describe, there is a slip road going in, from the plans it looks like you have to take the slip road to go left so that eliminates the sharp turn. Not sure about some of the other sharp turns.

your right, just noticed it on the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

your right, just noticed it on the plan.

Never noticed this before. Bound to be extremely controversial although they will just be legalising what the majority already do on a daily basis.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

KevR wrote: »
    Never noticed this before. Bound to be extremely controversial although they will just be legalising what the majority already do on a daily basis.

I noticed this a while back and assumed a typo. Sure you can't increase the speed limit there unless you remove the Glenburren Park entrance, Council tried to vote on this before and that was the reason given.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

KevR wrote: »

Hardly controversial. Makes sense to raise the speed limit on that stretch. 50km/h on a stretch of road with 4 lanes, and no exits / entrances until you meet the roundabout at the bottom is way too slow.

Lots of surfacing going on at the morris roundabout this evening hopefully they open it this week.

• Advertisement

dloob wrote: »
    Lots of surfacing going on at the morris roundabout this evening hopefully they open it this week.

Tuam Rd lights due to be turned on today (no mention of the Ballybane lights).

Advertisement