Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roadworks: Font & Morris Roundabouts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Just on GBFM: they're experimenting with giving the Tuam Rd outbound leg priority this evening, so this seems to be lightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 01NANA

WELL antoobrien

This is my first post but that does not mean im "ignorant" mayble old at 48yrs but not "ignorant" just because i voice my opinion. I have 2 degrees, travelled extensively and lived and worked in both Dublin in Cork for many years...it does not make me ignorant.

Its my opinion and thats what these boards are for.. voicing our individual opinions. The briarhill lights are - in my opinion (and others) are excellent - and "I am for Real!!".

My wording of "studying" etc is just maybe bad english... your opinion is that the configuration is dumb etc etc moan moan moan

Your post is full of critism, cristm of the city co and of me so what does that say for you.....

Anyway I wont go into name calling and after my first experience posting here and your attitude...it will be my last.

PS. I wonder what engineering degrees you have??????

Again I wont play "tit for tat" with you on this subject....youre post says it all.

01NANA wrote: »
    This is my first post but that does not mean im "ignorant"

We've just had a 3 month traffic discussion ban, caused by the "enthusiastic" discussion of some of the issues you brought up, were you aware of that or was the intention of your posts to cause trouble?
    01NANA wrote: »
    PS. I wonder what engineering degrees you have??????
    2 as it happens

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

antoobrien wrote: »
    The fact they they're "studying" the traffic flows and set the lights up in a "dumb" configuration shows up the models they used to justify the junction changes were nothing more than animations based on perceptions not real world numbers.
    This is something that set off big shiny alarm bells for me too. Millions of different traffic light configurations have been set up and observed throughout the world for decades, and our lads seem to have basically taken a punt without doing the legwork, "observing" traffic to see what it does after the fact.

They should know very well what it does before the diggers take their first tae break.

updated Openstreetmap to remove Font RAB, add junction along with new sliproad

Morris will be getting updated next week methinks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I'm looking at this from an engineering pov (being a software engineer dealing in systems that process high volume database transactions, the same principles apply).

I doubt it.

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    I'm looking at this from an engineering pov (being a software engineer dealing in systems that process high volume database transactions, the same principles apply).

I doubt it.

You doubt it. Would you care to back it up then and explain the difference between analysing the traffic movements of maybe a couple of thousand cars per hour vs a couple of thousand transactions per second in an enterprise software system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Hopefully it will as big a success as the Biarhill lights.
    They should really come into their own during the races when they can be adjusted for the race traffic flows.

I would expect them to be monitoring the traffic and adjusting the light initially.
    Unless you expect them to just turn on the sequence the computer says works and walk away without even looking at how it work in reality.
    Real drivers can behave in a rather irrational manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

It's fine apart from the obvious problem of 2 lanes magically turning into one outside Fleming's. That's madness, having gone into town that way 3 times since the lights were switched on it's obvious that during peak times this will be chaotic. They won't get the timing right until all 3 are done, and they can be synched together. And tbh, I think it's good in a way. Galway drivers are incompetent, can't use roundabouts or indicators (this was even in evidence with the mini-roundabout they had!) Lights are good. But cyclists and pedestrians are given too much priority imo. Over/under-passes should be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

From the GalwayCity.ie website

New Tuam Road Junction: Know Your Lane

http://www.water.galwaycity.ie/gccvisual/viewer/font.htm

New Ballybaan Road Junction: Know Your Lane

http://www.water.galwaycity.ie/gccvisual/viewer/morris.htm

• Advertisement

From the GalwayCity.ie website

New Tuam Road Junction: Know Your Lane

http://www.water.galwaycity.ie/gccvisual/viewer/font.htm

New Ballybaan Road Junction: Know Your Lane

http://www.water.galwaycity.ie/gccvisual/viewer/morris.htm

Pity they won't publish maps like (in that viewer) that during the consultation phases. Wonder why it's on the water site....

I have to add to the questions over the two straight on lanes on the Tuam Rd inbound. Two left or two right but a 2 into 1 is just asking for trouble (such as what happens on the way into Woodquay at the HRR).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Pity they won't publish maps like (in that viewer) that during the consultation phases. Wonder why it's on the water site....

I have to add to the questions over the two straight on lanes on the Tuam Rd inbound. Two left or two right but a 2 into 1 is just asking for trouble (such as what happens in Woodquay).

Where in Woodquay is there a 2 into 1? Only place I can think of with 2 lanes appraoaching a junction is here: http://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&ll=53.277388,-9.051273&spn=0.001585,0.004128&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=53.277527,-9.051142&panoid=fZNBKAZf3gGkW2YPjMCAYA&cbp=12,198.22,,0,13.68
    The lanes are clearly marked for left turn and straight ahead, so there's only 1 lane for going straight i.e. 1 into 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

I have to add to the questions over the two straight on lanes on the Tuam Rd inbound. Two left or two right but a 2 into 1 is just asking for trouble (such as what happens in Woodquay).

No idea why its water section.
    Agree re 2 into 1. It is asking for trouble. They used similar design for the Moneen junction - heading outbound on the Dublin Road (they even had to modify it later so that the Bus Lane started after the G Hotel). However here have nothing like the distance at Moneen for vechicles to merge.

Your brother yesterday had concerns for cyclists when using the junction yesterday - was this regarding the cycle lanes on the inside of the left only slip roads?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

At least at Moneenageisha the left-hand straight-on lane can also be used for turning left up Wellpark, or for buses going straight. The left-hand straight-on lane here seems to serve no purpose at all.

Zzippy wrote: »
    Where in Woodquay is there a 2 into 1

Sorry was referring to the merge at the woodquay side of the headford road rab, will fix.

Your brother yesterday had concerns for cyclists when using the junction yesterday - was this regarding the cycle lanes on the inside of the left only slip roads?

Not sure, it as a passing comment as he sometimes cycles to work (though wouldn't be using this one if he was) I'll have to have a proper chat with him.

I'll let you know what I think of it when I get a look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Traffic chronic today around town worst Ive seen in a long time

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Traffic chronic today around town worst Ive seen in a long time

There was a large funeral for a member of the travelling community, it was chaotic around the cathedral for a while there, and heard it was bad heading to the cemetery at Bohermore...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Looks like some travellers were involved in a bad crash at the morris roundabout. 2 fire engines and ambulances clogging it up

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭kevin65

It happened just before I left work in Ballybrit at 4pm. I didn't see the accident itself but could see two fire tenders and a squad car. Couldn't get onto the roundabout so had to go through the Ballybane Industrial estate to get to the Tuam Road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Twas bad before the crash even. Was heading in at 2, turned right at the new lights and traffic was backed up all the way almost to the entrance of the estate there. Plenty doing u-turns, pretty pointless though considering it was considerably backed up the other way too. Didnt get into NUIG til 3.15, had to go down Dyke Road as twas backed up all the way into Dunnes roundabout there. Although the bridge seemed to be moving fine outbound. Weird enough, never seen it as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

How are these junctions handling now? I'm not going into town everyday anymore since college finished.

Lights are on at morris now.
    Went on after 7, couple of lads watching the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭dantbyhid

My 22 minute trip to work (Athenry area to Ballybrit) is now 25 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,585 ✭✭✭✭kippy

dantbyhid wrote: »
    It does take a "couple of weeks" according to reports, to get the timings right, but don't be surprised if certain commuters will find their commute time increase.

I noticed at morris that the lights that were supposed to be at the Monivea road are not in place.
    Were these dropped or are they just not done yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

The only thing I've noticed so far is that the lights for the right turn really hold things up. Going straight seems fine though.

L'prof wrote: »
    The only thing I've noticed so far is that the lights for the right turn really hold things up. Going straight seems fine though.

which right turn going, straight on form where (there are 4 answers to both questions)?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

dantbyhid wrote: »

And the standard deviation for the 22 minute average is?

(We'll wait a couple of weeks to aks you for the post-change measure.)

• Advertisement

Still some traffic islands being installed around the monivea road part.

Advertisement