Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiking Boots - which one's???

Options
  • 14-02-2012 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭

So my current boots - hi tec v lite have let me down - my feet were soaked on my last hike. Don't know if its because I didn't look after them or whether they are just dead - have them 4 years. Did not hike for a year.

anyway looking at the following:All are gortex and vibram.

Priorities are water proof and grip and comfort. also breathability so that I was wear them in summer as well as our rainy winer.

Meindl burma pro - €210 - very comfortable but expensive
    Mammut teton - €170 - don't feel too comfortable around the top of the foot but maybe they would when broken in.
    Scarpa Kailash €133 - so comfortable - but feel light? Would they be sturdy enough?
    Lowa Khumbu - €150 - feel ok
    Lowa Renegade - €150 - feel good too but the salesman said he thinks that they might tear at the toe as they are very flexible.

None of the above are leather covered - should I consider leather? I did try on a pair but they felt very heavy?

I really want to choose the right pair as they are expensive.

thanks for reading.
    good insight appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Meindl burma pro - I love Meindl's, on my 2nd pair, 1st pair lasted 7 years of intense use.
    Mammut teton - Had them for 2 days at home and just to narrow for me and couldn't get use to them. That made me decide to stay with Meindl.
    Scarpa Kailash - Have a pair of Manta's. Great company and excellent build quality
    No opinion on the Lowa boots.

None of the above are leather covered - should I consider leather? I did try on a pair but they felt very heavy?-I think those burma pro are leather? I have a pair of air rev's which are on their 4th or 5th generation now. I have a wide foot so these are perfect and they are bombproof but light.

Go to Cotswold oudoors in Belfast. Great selection of boots.

See this thread for similar query?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75998145

• Registered Users Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭sporina

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Meindl burma pro - I love Meindl's, on my 2nd pair, 1st pair lasted 7 years of intense use.
    Mammut teton - Had them for 2 days at home and just to narrow for me and couldn't get use to them. That made me decide to stay with Meindl.
    Scarpa Kailash - Have a pair of Manta's. Great company and excellent build quality
    No opinion on the Lowa boots.

None of the above are leather covered - should I consider leather? I did try on a pair but they felt very heavy?-I think those burma pro are leather? I have a pair of air rev's which are on their 4th or 5th generation now. I have a wide foot so these are perfect and they are bombproof but light.

Go to Cotswold oudoors in Belfast. Great selection of boots.

hmm - thanks a million (great to get such an insightful post).
    Meindl burma pro are nubuck upper leather apparently? What does upper leather mean?

Mammut - yeah I know they are probably a great boot - they are designed by the swiss and anything they do is great.. but they just did not feel comfortable.

Scarpa - I have actually read great reviews on this boot - and it felt so comfortable. But I have reservations about it - I don't know why. Perhaps its cos I hike in a lot of wet areas - I do not know if they would withstand that level of water though i know they are gortex.

Also, I am thinking that the leather/nubuck would keep longer as they are easier to clean. With fabric boots I fear that because of the panels and stitching, they would take longer to dry and so so not last as long - what do you think?

oh and i live in cork so belfast is a bit far for me.

sporina wrote: »
    hmm - thanks a million (great to get such an insightful post).
    Meindl burma pro are nubuck upper leather apparently? What does upper leather mean? basically they are leather ;)

Mammut - yeah I know they are probably a great boot - they are designed by the swiss and anything they do is great.. but they just did not feel comfortable.

Scarpa - I have actually read great reviews on this boot - and it felt so comfortable. But I have reservations about it - I don't know why. Perhaps its cos I hike in a lot of wet areas - I do not know if they would withstand that level of water though i know they are gortex.

Also, I am thinking that the leather/nubuck would keep longer as they are easier to clean. With fabric boots I fear that because of the panels and stitching, they would take longer to dry and so so not last as long - what do you think? Not really TBH, soaked leather would take longer to dry than fabric boots. Leather V Fabric is a whole different topic :eek:
    oh and i live in cork so belfast is a bit far for me.

Any trips to London or the UK planned soon? The selection of outdoor shops in most large UK cities is very good. Otherwise 53degrees north in Dublin and Snow and Rock in Dundrum are good. I don't know about Cork as it's a few years since I've been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Meindl are the way to go. Buy cheap buy twice.

Meindl are the way to go. Buy cheap buy twice.

yeah I know meindl are great but they are so expensive.

I have reading reviews on line and the Scarpa Kailash sounds fantastic

see review here

these are on sale in 53 degrees north in cork because apparently they are not selling due to the colour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Save for another few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭micko123

Union chandlery stocks meindl in cork. I'm moving to my third pair of meindl islands, previous 2 pairs have done me 15 years.

First pair i grew out of, second pair after 8 years and countless miles are starting to show signs of age. That is €35 per year at most and absolute comfort and dryness also. Couldn't recommend them highly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Meindl burma pro - Excellent boots in my experience
    Mammut teton - Never hada pair, find mammut overpriced in general though
    Scarpa Kailash - Have a pair of phantoms - excellent boot but not for hiking so hard to compare
    Lowa - avoid in my experience - simply not tough enough

My hiking boots are berghaus explorers, got them in the great outdoors in Cork (called the scout shop these days i think). I've hiked, scrambled and climbed in them and find them to be an excellent, long lasting and comfortable boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

So my current boots - hi tec v lite have let me down - my feet were soaked on my last hike. Don't know if its because I didn't look after them or whether they are just dead - have them 4 years. Did not hike for a year.

anyway looking at the following:All are gortex and vibram.

Priorities are water proof and grip and comfort. also breathability so that I was wear them in summer as well as our rainy winer.

Meindl burma pro - €210 - very comfortable but expensive
    Mammut teton - €170 - don't feel too comfortable around the top of the foot but maybe they would when broken in.
    Scarpa Kailash €133 - so comfortable - but feel light? Would they be sturdy enough?
    Lowa Khumbu - €150 - feel ok
    Lowa Renegade - €150 - feel good too but the salesman said he thinks that they might tear at the toe as they are very flexible.

None of the above are leather covered - should I consider leather? I did try on a pair but they felt very heavy?

I really want to choose the right pair as they are expensive.

thanks for reading.
    good insight appreciated.

I'd recommend leather boots as I trust them more and they're easier to clean and reproof.

As regards summer wear, your choice of socks is very important, I wear bridgedale socks and I find them great.

My boots are Zamberlan Vioz GTX http://www.zamberlan.com/catalog/index.php?lang=en&pg=prod&idprod=13&idcat=2
    I find them brilliant, amazing comfort, and 100% waterproof. They are a narrow fitting boot, so that's something to consider,
    and the one downside is that they scuff easier than I'd like, so if I was in the market to buy again I'd go for the Vioz PLUS
    http://www.zamberlan.com/catalog/index.php?lang=en&pg=prod&idprod=180&idcat=2
    which has a rubber rand around the upper to protect against the scuffing.

micko123 wrote: »
    Union chandlery stocks meindl in cork. I'm moving to my third pair of meindl islands, previous 2 pairs have done me 15 years.

First pair i grew out of, second pair after 8 years and countless miles are starting to show signs of age. That is €35 per year at most and absolute comfort and dryness also. Couldn't recommend them highly enough.

hmm I have not checked out the union actually.
    Will go there on friday.

• Advertisement

SomeFool wrote: »
    My hiking boots are berghaus explorers, got them in the great outdoors in Cork (called the scout shop these days i think). I've hiked, scrambled and climbed in them and find them to be an excellent, long lasting and comfortable boot.

there is a scout shop and great outdoors in the city

Any trips to London or the UK planned soon? The selection of outdoor shops in most large UK cities is very good. Otherwise 53degrees north in Dublin and Snow and Rock in Dundrum are good. I don't know about Cork as it's a few years since I've been there.

with regards to leather Vs fabric - maybe you could give me some pros/cons of both?

with regards to leather Vs fabric - maybe you could give me some pros/cons of both?

Stolen from a website I use but sums it up well.

Leather
    Leather is still the principal material used to make boots. It is available in 3 main types - full grain, nubuck and suede/split. Depending on the combination of the thickness and the tanning process the suppleness, support, durability and water resistance of the uppers will all vary. Lightweight boots utilise softer leather to give instant comfort and performance. In conjunction with the uppers the foam, stiffeners and lining fabrics in a boot will all vary according to end use.

Full grain leather is used in footwear for its durability, support and water resistance. It is generally used in boots designed for lengthy trips, tough terrain and when support and protection are paramount. Full grain leather boots are heavier than those made with fabric or split leather and are therefore more durable and suited to regular use. They will tend to need some breaking in and will require more after care than fabric boots.

Fabric/Split leather
    Boots made with split leather, suede, nubuck and/or nylon tend to be softer, lighter and easier on your feet than full grain leather boots. They are therefore more suited to day trips and shorter overnight trips. They generally come with a waterproof membrane such as Gore-Tex/E-vent or Sympatex and are therefore guaranteed waterproof.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭boksmashoffice

Merrell camelion gore tex (not because dipstick grylls wears them). I got a pair in 2004. Still use them for trekking now. Amazing boots. Make sure you break in what ever boots you purchase.

Stolen from a website I use but sums it up well.

Leather
    Leather is still the principal material used to make boots. It is available in 3 main types - full grain, nubuck and suede/split. Depending on the combination of the thickness and the tanning process the suppleness, support, durability and water resistance of the uppers will all vary. Lightweight boots utilise softer leather to give instant comfort and performance. In conjunction with the uppers the foam, stiffeners and lining fabrics in a boot will all vary according to end use.

Full grain leather is used in footwear for its durability, support and water resistance. It is generally used in boots designed for lengthy trips, tough terrain and when support and protection are paramount. Full grain leather boots are heavier than those made with fabric or split leather and are therefore more durable and suited to regular use. They will tend to need some breaking in and will require more after care than fabric boots.

Fabric/Split leather
    Boots made with split leather, suede, nubuck and/or nylon tend to be softer, lighter and easier on your feet than full grain leather boots. They are therefore more suited to day trips and shorter overnight trips. They generally come with a waterproof membrane such as Gore-Tex/E-vent or Sympatex and are therefore guaranteed waterproof.

thanks a million,

yeah I found the leather boots very heavy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

there is a scout shop and great outdoors in the city

The Scout Shop and Great Outdoors are two different shops. The Scout shop is very expensive for most things - it's also known as the Outdoor Adventure Store.

I was in Blanchardstown today and came across Mountain Warehouse. Got these for €60. Suede mix uppers and Vibram soles. They're selling off all of last year's models - what's left of them.

Got two ski jackets for the kids for €21 also - lovely jackets for their scout hikes.

I know someone is going to tell me that the boots are crap but they'll do for now :)

ok - so here are are now.

With regards to Meindl - I tried on the burma pro and decided that they were too heavy and bulky. No doubt they are a great boot but i need something a bit more snug for petite me.

Scarpa Kailash - decided they were not sturdy enough for irish terrain.

I tried on the Brasher Hillmaster - I really wanted them - they seemed to fit the bill; leather, sturdy but not too heavy but they were very very stiff on my shin - above my foot. The sales assistant said that they would soften a bit but not too much. I decided against them as I do not want to end up with sore feet. But I don't know - I hope I made the right decision but would they be worth the risk?? They were comfortable in every other way. But perhaps they would not be suitable for all types of hiking.

I have bought these, Lowa stirling GTX, I will wear them around the house for a few days and I can make my mind up as to whether or not I want to keep them.
    They are leather, gortex, vibram. not too heavy - I think they are a good all rounder. But most of all they are comfortable which i have not found with other sturdy boots.

Pity I did not have more of a choice - but we will see how we go with them.

Any opinions on them or the brasher hill master?

i went with the Lowa Sterling and I christened the today. OMG - I cannot recommend them highly enough. I am so relieved actually. They are perfect. I hiked for a good 6 hours in them - difficult enough terrain. They were not too heavy but sturdy. Nimble in between rocks and tough on ascent. Waterproof 100%. No blisters. No aches.

Thanks a mill for the advice - leather won in the end!!

Happy hiking everyone. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I christened my boots yesterday on Maulin. Just a 2.5 hour hike. Very comfortable. No hotspots. The Vibram soles were needed on the first part of the descent - steep muddy section and no slips. Feet dry too. Happy out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

This is a bit late for you, OP (only read this thread now), but in case it's of use for your next search (probably many years from now):
    I haven't tried the Brasher Hillmaster, but have a pair of Brasher Supalite (GTX), which I've got a lot of use out of. Very light and waterproof. Soles are not Vibram - the substance is probably lighter, and might wear quicker; not sure re traction - I should try a direct comparision with a Vibram boot.

Enjoy your boots (also Orion) :)

• Advertisement

thanks for the reply nondeboardie…

I tried on the supalite but I found that they would not be suitable for some of the hikes I do. They are a great boot too though.

On my Lowa Sulphite - I am more than happy with them. I was on a 6-7 hours hike with them 2 weekends ago and they were fantastic. The terrain was wet and very rocky in places. My feet did not get wet or tired, and no blisters or anything at the end of the hike.
    I did find them a little heavy/bulky at first, but that faded. Guess I just had to get use to them. And no break in required.
    I am looking after them like a new baby now - washed them when I got home and then waxed them. Good as new. It was worth all the shopping to find the right pair.

thanks for the reply nondeboardie…
    Welcome
    I am looking after them like a new baby now - washed them when I got home and then waxed them.
    Ha - Careful you don't spoil them by picking them up and waxing them every time they whimper :pac:

Welcome

Ha - Careful you don't spoil them by picking them up and waxing them every time they whimper :pac:

why? AFAIK, you have to wax them after use in order to restore the water proofing?

[/B]

why? AFAIK, you have to wax them after use in order to restore the water proofing?
    Sorry - I was just making a weak attempt at humour based on the baby analogy :o
    (I clean and wax/reproof mine every several trips, not sure how often - i think I can get quice a few wet/mucky walks in before I notice any seepage.)

Advertisement