Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gigs in the cinema

Options
  • 14-02-2012 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

Hi all, I went to see the Chemical Brothers 'Don't Think' in Vue Liffey Valley recently and it was the most amazing cinematic experience I've had. There was a bar down the front and everyone was dancing & singing. It was like a nightclub/festival experience with reserved seating :)

Anyway, Joe Satriani is doing something similar in Movies @Swords in a few weeks -- http://www.onlinecinematickets.com/index.php?s=M-SWORDS&p=tickets&perfCode=104929 ---

Might be handy to have a single thread for these kind of shows so post em up!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Would love to see new LCD Sound System docu presented like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭rock whore

is this the one? http://shutupandplaythehits.com/

yeah I'd go to that too. I wonder if a few people sent e-mails to one or two of the cinemas would they do a showing here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Yeah The Chemical Brothers movie was absolutely amazing! Definitely the most fun I've ever had at the cinema and would love to see more screenings like that. The Soulwax film in the IFI a few years ago was pretty fun too but was during the day so nobody was dancing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Saw the Iron Maiden show in the cinema last year I think it was, fantastic experience, bit different but good fun.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Watched the Foo Fighters "Back and Forth" in Cineworld last year and really enjoyed it . The fact it was sold out made it that much better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭green day rule

I Seen Green Day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Genesis did a live concert broadcast from Dusseldorf in 2007 as part of their European tour, which was sent to cinemas in the UK, Ireland and (I think) Spain. They showed it in Vue in Liffey Valley with surround sound. It was excellent.

Okay, these are not concerts (as the thread states), but one-off cinema screenings of music documentaries are becoming very popular. I was at the following, all of which were great:

Iron Maiden: Flight 666 (Movies @ Swords)
    Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage (Cineworld)
    Foo Fighters: Back and Forth (Cineworld)
    George Harrison: Living in the Material World (IFI)

The Rush one, in particular, was excellent, probably because they have such a niche fanbase, so everyone there was really enthusiastic about it. The Scorsese film is very good, and has some incredible stills and footage, a lot of which I'd never seen before, but it could do with serious trimming. Having said that, there was nothing like seeing it in the cinema with the sound up high.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

I've seen U23D. Still he best 3d I've ever seen. Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

eldwaro wrote: »
    I've seen U23D. Still he best 3d I've ever seen. Amazing.

Oh yeah, I saw that too. The Fly sequence, in particular, was superb.
    That was the first film I saw with the "new" 3D system (they showed it in the film festival with U2 in attendance), and I distinctly remember being initially irritated by people sitting in the rows front of me who wouldn't put their arms down, before realising that the arms waving about were the crowd in the audience-perspective shots on the screen. :o

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

I saw the 'White Stripes under Blackpool Lights' at the IFI. Was so hard to stay in my seat.
    Was actually at both the gigs so was pretty special have to say to watch it in the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

I saw the 'White Stripes under Blackpool Lights' at the IFI. Was so hard to stay in my seat.

I don't doubt it, considering the leg room in that ****hole...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Seen David Bowie's live broadcast from the Riverside studio's in London at UCI Blanchardstown in 2003.

Won the tickets on Today FM and everyone was given a delux version of Bowie's "Reality" album entering the cinema.

Hosted by Ian Dempsey on the night, he held a quiz on all things Bowie and tossed Bowie concert tickets around like confetti for his 2 point shows later that year.

I spoke to a UCI usher that night who said the demand was that high for tickets, they could have broadcast the gig in all their screens that night and sold every seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

I love the idea of streaming a LIVE concert to a cinema. BYOB and popcorn listening to your favourite rockband in 5.1 on a huge screen, could only get better if you were actually there.

I would love screen cinema to show The Song Remains the Same!!

Just announced via Chemical Brothers facebook, another screening of Don't Think in Liffey Valley on Fri the 23rd March, woo hoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Zombie thread but no others,

http://www.shutupandplaythehits.com/ is on tonight in the lighthouse, should be great. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I love the idea of streaming a LIVE concert to a cinema. BYOB and popcorn listening to your favourite rockband in 5.1 on a huge screen, could only get better if you were actually there.
    Many people might be put off saying it is not "real", but if they were actually there at a big concert they may be well looking at the gig on a big screen for the most part, a relatively poor quality screen, with relatively poor quality sound.

Advertisement