Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod flexing his e-muscles

Options
  • 14-02-2012 5:58pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭

I made a thread on the australia forum asking for advice on recruitment companies so i can have some homework done pre departure. i even searched using keywords ''recruitment accountancy perth'' but nothing showed up. i then get this pm from the mod

i was annoyed that he closed it under a false assumption so i replied

he smugly countered with, knowing he was in the wrong

i replied

to which i got no action, thread remains closed

an abuse of power if i ever saw one.''cos i said so '' forumming at its best

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Do not post someone PM's without their explicit permission. The DRP is the only exception to this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭ObviouslyJesus

pardon me ? :eek:
    im showing you an abuse of power yet you wade in with your 'old boys club' nonsense and edit my post
    one of your buddes acted the prick, i expect you to act,not put the onus back on me when i have provided the background to the dispute

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Private Messages are to remain private. The same rule applies to anyone and everyone, mods and non-mods alike. If you believe there's something objectionable in a PM, then make use of the report PM function.

we're getting sidetracked. it wasnt a private message in the private sense of the word. he seemed to use it rather than explain it on the thread
    i followed boards protocol searching for previous threads and i rightfully got annoyed when it was closed because of a false assumption

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

It's interesting how such a new user managed to find his way to the Help Desk so quickly when he didn't get his way had an issue with a mod.

You wouldn't by any chance have another account on Boards.ie, would you?

• Advertisement

is all the mods do is assume and make asshats of themselves? :eek:

god forbid someone reads the faq they make such an effort for newbies to read

Oh I don't assume.

I just use the tools and techniques available to me.

So, I ask you again, is this your only account on Boards.ie?

i had mikemacca but i forgot my password ,sherlock :eek:

i had mikemacca but i forgot my password ,sherlock :eek:

Elementary dear, em, Jesus. Well that was obvious.

Anyway, to the matter at hand.

Ok, so we have a disagreement on a thread that was closed.

However, I see that the mod in question has moved your other thread to the main sticky in the forum: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77072609&postcount=634

Is that not acceptable?

thats a 43 page thread, with a lifespan of a few years, no-one reads that thread anymore.
    whereas if my thread was on the main page and someone logged on and saw ''perth, recruimtent, accountancy'' it could pique their interest if they were in a similar field
    in fairness there has been no similar thread which is the reason the mod closed it in the first place as he wrongly assumed there had

• Advertisement

Ok, I appreciate what you are saying, however it has to be said that we (both you and I) have to put our trust in the moderators of all forums that they run it as they see best.

I am not necessarily saying they (or we, for that matter) get it right 100% of the time, but generally speaking, mods know their forum and know what works and doesn't work.

As for your assertion that nobody reads the stickies, I would counter that by saying that most forums have stickies at the top and that they are always read. Especially since they are bolded when a new post is made.

Any forums I frequent, I always read the stickies, as I am sure a lot of people do.

but my post isnt even in a sticky. its part of a faq thread which isnt stickied. he is setting a dangerous precedent by selecting what he deletes and what he leaves, seeing as right now , on there ,there is at least two threads talking about illegally staying in the country

Ok, now I see that. My apologies.

I'll ask the moderator in question to comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I seen the user was a first time poster and assumed (wrongly it turns out) that he was new.

He asked 1 question "what is the best recruitment agency in perth", to me the answer is the best one is the one who will get you a job, but that's not a real answer.

I moved the thread to the WHV megathread as many people have 'First time in Australia work questions' I thought it might help him, as from experience the answer he'll get is 'Look on seek.com.au' or 'all agencies are selfish, don't believe a word they say' type answers.

I emailed the OP and advised him, that I moved his thread, again since he appeared to be a first timer I suggested using the search functionality, (as these questions have been asked many times)

I got a response back which was full of sarcasm and an insult thrown in there too.

I have no problem reversing my decision, but I won't do so on the back of insults and sarcasm.

If the OP had asked in a friendly manner, this would not be any issue at all, even now in this thread, when things have not gone his way, he accuses people of 'Old boys club', then says I am 'acting the prick'
    OP you need to grow up a bit, manners are free.

I have no problems with my PM's being shown here, on the conditions that ALL of it are shown, not any edited versions.

So that's the matter closed, as far as I am concerned.

And ObviouslyJesus, I suggest a change in attitude fairly lively. Mods give up their spare time to keep this site running, not to act on the whims of indignant users who treat mods as servants.

If you can't be civil to a moderator and you can't conduct yourself in a proper manner, you are not welcome on the forum.

As there have been no updates to this thread, I am closing it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement