Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Engineering Degree to Maths Teaching

• 14-02-2012 6:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭

Hi, I'm in my final year of an Honours Structural Engineering Degree and very interested in pursuing secondary school teaching. How do I go about doing this and what colleges have relevant courses. I'm not certain that my course is recognised by the teaching council but I can still apply for recognition can't I?

I'm also interested in Woodwork (Materials Technology) teaching. How would I go about this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

tonytoc11 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm in my final year of an Honours Structural Engineering Degree and very interested in pursuing secondary school teaching. How do I go about doing this and what colleges have relevant courses. I'm not certain that my course is recognised by the teaching council but I can still apply for recognition can't I?

I'm also interested in Woodwork (Materials Technology) teaching. How would I go about this?

You need to check the Teaching Council website to see if your degree is recognised or not this is the only way to find out.

Woodwork - UL do a 4 year degree course it used to be called Bat. Technology (in Education) in Materials and Construction Technology, put that into google and you will find more info.
    UL also do a one year postgrad in Woodwork teaching
    Letterfrack also do a 4 year degree in Galway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=64420870
    Armelodie wrote: »
    ... as usual the TC could refuse this on a whim.but from reading the teaching council website 'special requirements' ...

"The study of Mathematics as a major subject in the degree extending over at least three years and of the order of 30% at a minimum of that period"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭tonytoc11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭awny

Does anybody have any info on this course in UL?

http://www2.ul.ie/web/WWW/Services/Research/Graduate_School/Prospective_Students/Graduate_Programmes/Taught_Programmes/Education_%26_Health_Sciences/Mathematics%20Teaching[/QUOTE]

Hi tonytoc11,

I did this course in UL!! however we had engineers who began the course with us but had to leave as the teaching council wouldnt recognise their degrees to teach maths. As a result, the college will not entertain your application for the course unless you have full confirmation from the teacjing council that you are eligable to teach maths.

If my course is not recognised are there modules which I can take in order to meet the requirements or are there any other ways to get into maths teaching?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭doc_17

If my course is not recognised are there modules which I can take in order to meet the requirements or are there any other ways to get into maths teaching?

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056306696?page=5#post_76111681

Have a look here. If the link doesn't work go to about the 10th page in the forum and browse the "for anyone looking to gain a maths qualification" thread

I got in touch with the Teaching Council and they said that if I complete this M208 module from the Open University I will be qualified to teach maths.

It just seems a bit too straight forward to me; are there people who have secured maths teaching jobs from this course or is it a bit of a mickey mouse course?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭doc_17

I did an engineering degree in University of Ulster and ten did that M208 course to get qualified. I now have a CID as a fully qualified and recognised teacher of Maths.

Oh and unless you are extremely good at Maths you'll find bits of the M208 course challenging enough. Log into the OU website and have a look through the stuff. There is a section somewhere that has a test for you to see whether you are suitable for certain courses ie are you at a certain level Andorra should you take an easier option.

There is a fair bit of work involved with that course that you may not have done studying engineering for example.....loads of stuff in group theory and linear algebra and Analysis.

It also costs about 1200 pound sterling and afaik it will soon be ending and the OU won't be running it anymore

doc_17 wrote: »
    I did an engineering degree in University of Ulster and ten did that M208 course to get qualified. I now have a CID as a fully qualified and recognised teacher of Maths.

Oh and unless you are extremely good at Maths you'll find bits of the M208 course challenging enough. Log into the OU website and have a look through the stuff. There is a section somewhere that has a test for you to see whether you are suitable for certain courses ie are you at a certain level Andorra should you take an easier option.

There is a fair bit of work involved with that course that you may not have done studying engineering for example.....loads of stuff in group theory and linear algebra and Analysis.

It also costs about 1200 pound sterling and afaik it will soon be ending and the OU won't be running it anymore

I'd have a high level of maths with an A1 in the Leaving Cert and there is a lot of maths related material in my course. I have looked at the M208 Diagnostic Quiz and found it reasonable although there are a few areas I need to brush up on.

As far as I can see the fees are £2500 for the module?
    "Undergraduate fees for new students resident outside of the UK and starting their studies after 1 September 2012 will be the same as for new students in England: £5,000 for 120 credits, £2,500 (60 credits) and £1,250 (30 credits)."

How employable would I be after completing the course? Is it still necessary to have a second teaching subject in order to gain employment?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

How employable would I be after completing the course? Is it still necessary to have a second teaching subject in order to gain employment?

You'd need a second subject to be attractive to potential employers. You could get lucky and find a big school that needs someone just for maths. But with the amount of unemployed teachers no principal would hire someone with only one subject really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

And don't fall for the anecdotal 'teaching is great, permanent jobs, crying out for maths teachers'. The reality is there are little/ no permanent jobs unless you get a CID which usually requires four years in a school and even then is not guaranteed. Finding a full time position in maths is just as hard as any other subject at the moment. There's just too many teachers

And don't fall for the anecdotal 'teaching is great, permanent jobs, crying out for maths teachers'. The reality is there are little/ no permanent jobs unless you get a CID which usually requires four years in a school and even then is not guaranteed. Finding a full time position in maths is just as hard as any other subject at the moment. There's just too many teachers

Apologies but what does CID stand for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Sorry a CID is a Contract of Indefinite Duration. Have a read of this, it explains it far better than I could!
    http://www.asti.ie/pay-and-conditions/non-permanent-teachers/cids-explained/

• Registered Users Posts: 32 sarahmc92

CID is the new permanent ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

sarahmc92 wrote: »
    CID is the new permanent ;)

Permanent is PWT permanent whole time. A CID can be for any number of hours from 1 to 22. It is far from the new permanent.

Advertisement