Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What modem comes with UPC 25 meg orders?

• 14-02-2012 6:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭

Have been on the UPC and the people on the phone don't actually know.

TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

It's the Cisco EPC2425

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

mark17j wrote: »
    It's the Cisco EPC2425

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSc7z9vKm8kiH2lOMOegeJPBJpxS0VANTUwKQQvlsOWCDXM2XOjlA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Ranicand wrote: »
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSc7z9vKm8kiH2lOMOegeJPBJpxS0VANTUwKQQvlsOWCDXM2XOjlA

That's not the 2425, that's the 2203.

OP, there's two options. Opt for the Wireless modem (once off charge of 50 or w/e) and you'll get the EPC2425. Opt for no wireless modem, and you'll get an EPC2203, as pictured above, which is a simple Ethernet/USB modem. If you have your own wireless router, you could simply get the 2203 and use your own router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Oh sorry.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

My sister just signed up for 25 mb as part of the triple play and she received the white thomson one today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

roast wrote: »
    That's not the 2425, that's the 2203.

OP, there's two options. Opt for the Wireless modem (once off charge of 50 or w/e) and you'll get the EPC2425. Opt for no wireless modem, and you'll get an EPC2203, as pictured above, which is a simple Ethernet/USB modem. If you have your own wireless router, you could simply get the 2203 and use your own router.
    You get a free wifi router with 25mb I thought. Only on the 12mb/20mb service does one get the 2203, currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭Balfie

I got the white thompson, an I only got it 2 or 3 weeks ago, has 2 aerials.. Me mate got one and he got a black one wit one aerial.. We both got the 25meg package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Thanks for the answers.

I should have said 25 meg plus phone.

Does the phone bit have any impact on what modem you get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

n97 mini wrote: »
    Thanks for the answers.

I should have said 25 meg plus phone.

Does the phone bit have any impact on what modem you get?
    No, they all work with their phone service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭ixtlan

I'm sort of interested in this.

I was looking at the 25mbs bundle, but was sort of thinking of taking the 50mbps one to get the N wifi router, but it seems that you might get a Thompson N router with the 25mbps.

I suspect this comes down to luck. According to the web site 25mbps get the Cisco, and 50/100 get the Thompson.
    http://support.upc.ie/app/answers/detail/a_id/203/session/L3RpbWUvMTMyOTMwNDU1My9zaWQvKjJtWGtMUWs%3D/p/5

Ix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

One of the lads got hooked up to UPC 20meg this morning and received the thompson. I'm thinking this is a good thing as I've experience with that cisco yoke before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

We got the Thomson TWG870UIR with 20Mb package. It does N also.

But the range is brutal on it, it really only has good coverage in the same room as it. The room next to it, and my phone and laptop keep disconnecting from it. Same story with my house mates hardware.

We have to reset the router every week or so as connections start hanging or timing out otherwise.

Also its stuck on an older firmware and there is no way to upgrade it yourself.

Im not sure if all models are like this or just our particular one is faulty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

We were sent the white Thomson router when we upgraded to 50mb,it has been absolutely perfect since the day we got it,no problems connecting to it wirelessly with my work macbook,normal laptop,blackberry or the xbox.Range is great on it too,was connected with 4 bars strength down the end of the back garden over the summer.

This was in stark contrast to our experience with the EPC2425,which used to disconnect randomly all the time and reset itself several times a day too.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

We got the Thomson TWG870UIR with 20Mb package. It does N also.

But the range is brutal on it, it really only has good coverage in the same room as it. The room next to it, and my phone and laptop keep disconnecting from it. Same story with my house mates hardware.

We have to reset the router every week or so as connections start hanging or timing out otherwise.

Also its stuck on an older firmware and there is no way to upgrade it yourself.

Im not sure if all models are like this or just our particular one is faulty.

We've the Thomson and it's rock-solid. Range fine all over the house. Much better than the Cisco we had previously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Are there port-forwarding problems with the Thomson?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭ixtlan

n97 mini wrote: »
    Are there port-forwarding problems with the Thomson?

Having read the thread on it... I think it's not so much that there are problems but that for the advanced user it is too restrictive. I believe you can do some port forwarding but there are limited slots for it.

Users who want to use their own router find that the Thompson cannot be set to bridge mode, requiring them to use an awkward workaround of setting a DMZ where all traffic is forwarded (to a separate router).

These are valid concerns for an advanced user with a complicated home network, but for the average user it's probably not going to be something that concerns them. Generally the thread comments are positive (leaving aside the lack of bridge mode) about the Thompson, except for it's size (apparently it's quite chunky).

I'm not sure there is a definite answer for the OP, or indeed me. It seems the Thompson might be given out with any order, but it might not. Would anyone from UPC care to comment?

I'll add that wifi issues normally are a result of interference, sometimes from other wifi signals, but also sometimes from non wifi devices on the same 2.4Ghz frequency, like baby monitors and video senders. 3 weeks ago my wifi stopped working completely. The router was automatically choosing channel 1 as there was no other wifi signal there. However after some testing with wifi analyser on an android phone (basically just watching how the wifi router signal behaved on different channels), it was clear that something was (and still is) squatting on the spectrum from channel 1-4, so I had to manually set it to 6, as someone else was on 11. I'd love to have a proper interference detector to monitor the 2.4Ghz spectrum, but I couldn't justify the cost (about €100 for a USB dongle). Most likely one of the neighbours has a video sender connected 24/7, but what can you do. Well move to 5Ghz wifi at some point perhaps, but for the moment just try to find an acceptable channel... use powerline adapters if you can.

Ix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Received the Thompson router today with the 25mb package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

You guys are lucky, myself as well as these guys are having problems with this router:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056268972&page=26

Advertisement