Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths problem

• 14-02-2012 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hey guys ,this is the question ;
    x^2-ax+9 is a factor of x^3+bx+c
    -Express b in terms of a
    -Express c in terms of a
    If anybody could give any pointers on how to approach the question ,it would be much appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

Its a long division question. Just consult your book and you should be able to get it out. I made a botched attempt at it and got something but I'm fairly sure it was wrong! :p Sorry I couldnt be of more help!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Neodymium

x^2-ax+9 is a factor of x^3+bx+c

So start by dividing x^3+bx+c by x^2-ax+9

• Registered Users Posts: 35 lauzie2011

Thank you so much ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Mwalimu

The important thing here is that, since (x^2 - ax + 9) is a factor, there is no remainder (i.e. any remainder you get must be zero).

So, when you do the long division [you get (x + a) as the other factor], what you have left over must be equal to zero.

By my calculations, that means (a^2 + b - 9) = 0 (coefficient of the remaining 'x' term) and (c - 9a) = 0 (remaining constant term).

Re-arrange these to get what you're asked for.:) [ b = 9 - a^2] [c = 9a]

Out of interest, go back to the original with some value of 'a' (say 2, which then gives b = 5 and c = 18).
    The situation then is that x^2 - 2x + 9 is a factor of x^3 + 5x + 18. When you divide using long division, the other factor is (x + 2) and there is no remainder. This confirms that it is a factor and the (x + 2) confirms that 'a' = 2. Neat!;)

N.B. choosing a random value for 'a' at the start doesn't work; you need to work out the expressions for b and c. I only mentioned giving 'a' some value so that you would see how the result stacks up. A specific value doesn't prove the general case - an important point to keep in mind.

Thank you! Much appreciated :)

• Advertisement

One more question :/
    The parametric equations of a curve are ;
    x=(t+2)^2(e^t) and y=t+ln(t+2)^2
    -find dx/dt and dy/dt

• Registered Users Posts: 4 tom_tom

pop it into www.wolframalpha.com and it will do it for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭brownacid

lauzie2011 wrote: »
    One more question :/
    The parametric equations of a curve are ;
    x=(t+2)^2e^t and y=t+ln(t+2)^2
    -find dx/dt and dy/dt

Differentiate x with respect to t and do the same for y. The rules for differentiating e and ln are in your log book or maths book.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Neodymium

x = (t+2)^(2e^t)
    dx/dt = (2e^t)(t+2)^(2e^t - 1)

y = t + ln(t+2)^2
    y = t + 2ln(t+2)
    dy/dt = 1 + 2/(t+2) = (t+4)/(t+2)

Advertisement