Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man who knocked down burglar in court

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Stark wrote: »
    If the judges in his previous burglarly cases hadn't considered his crimes to be "petty" then chances are neither party would have ended up in the situation. It's about time we stopped giving criminals the equivalent of saying prayers on a rosary bead every time they're caught doing something.

I agree with you absolutley. We shouldn't allow repeat offenders so much freedom.
    But what exactly do we do to them, prisons are already overcrowded. Its a tough call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

MrPudding wrote: »
    The home owner is an idiot. That is fairly obvious. He went from the position of being a victim to being the defendant in 5 minutes flat. he is an idiot and deserves whatever he gets. That said, i am sure there is a fair chance he won't get much more than a slap on the wrist, and to be honest, for his family's sake I hope that is the case. But he is an idiot.

I would say the vast majority of people in ireland would see only one victim in this case.
    And any of you that think he is a hero and in the same position you would do the same? Well...

MrP
    I think many more people would go after a burglar, if they had the capacity to do so.

And then we might have a deterent to these "people", instead of the suspended sentences handed out in the justice system of this country.
    The guy was almost home. The idiot could have called the police and given then the guy's fcuking address. Instead, he severely injures him, gives him €175k for his troubles and probably guarentees that he won't be prosecuted for the burglary. Yeah. Well done home owner. You're the smartest

I would imagine the police were well aquainted with this fellas address. I wonder why. As for prosecution, well that did a lot of good with this burglar previously, didnt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Kolido wrote: »
    If you consider the two crimes, petty larcany v attempted murder, there is a big difference.
    It wasn't attempted murder, by a long shot. If he had even been trying to kill him, I'm sure he could have managed it with two hits of a car. And apparently the driver warned the crook that if he tried to escape he would kill him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

In Britain, a man who caught someone who he witnessed mugging an old lady in the street, chased the mugger, caught him, and pinned him to the ground in the street until the police arrived.

The police later praised his actions and now he is to get a Daily Mirror Pride of Britain award.

Picture: scene-shot-from-where-sam-woodward-rugby-tackled-a-mugger-pic-caters-548819511.jpg

A hero pins a mugger to the ground after rugby-tackling him as he swiped a frail pensioner’s handbag.

Action man Sam Woodward leapt to the rescue when cowardly Benjamin Brown attacked the 82-year-old just moments after she collected her pension.

The ex-doorman kept him in an arm lock for 10 minutes until police arrived – as a passerby took this dramatic picture.

Brown, 31, was jailed for five years after admitting the “despicable” robbery outside a post office in Leicester last July.

He also pleaded guilty at the city’s crown court to a string of other offences – including stealing war medals.

Picture: scene-shot-from-where-sam-woodward-rugby-tackled-a-mugger-pic-caters-411282195.jpg

Have-a-go hero Sam, 33, who now works as an estate agent in Birmingham, said: “What he did was lower than low – I think he got everything he deserves.

“For someone to come up behind an old woman and throw her to the floor is cowardly. I was brought up to respect the elderly and I found what happened horrendous. She’d probably just popped out for a pint of milk, and she shouldn’t be scared to do that.

“If someone tried to do that to my mum, I’d want someone to do what I did.”

Sam added: “I used to be a doorman for five years so I knew what I was doing and I didn’t hurt him too much.”

He said the elderly victim, who asked not to be named and is now afraid to go out alone, was still in shock when she approached him as he grappled with her attacker. She asked for her purse back as she “just wanted to go home”.

She was still “shaky” as Sam visited her in hospital, where she was treated for cuts, grazes and severe bruising. She said of her attacker: “It’s very sad for a young man to do this and I’ve asked myself why did he choose this way of life?”

The court heard that Brown was stealing to pay off a drug debt.

For his bravery, Sam has been nominated for a Daily Mirror Pride of Britain award.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/scrum-bagged-hero-rugby-tackles-mugger-673385

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Batsy wrote: »
    In Britain, a man who caught someone who he witnessed mugging an old lady in the street, chased the mugger, caught him, and pinned him to the ground in the street until the police arrived.

The police later praised his actions and now he is to get a Pride of Britain award.

Pinned him to the ground? Yeah, that's fair enough. Did he hit him with a car and break both his legs though?

Didn't another guy in the UK almost get charged for injuring a teen he chucked off a train for fair dodging? He hurt the teen.
    The key word is "injury"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

TheZohan wrote: »
    He shouldn't have ran him over but I can understand why he did. The €175k should not be given to the burglar, it should be donated to charity with a strong message that crime doesn't pay.

I'd like to see a law introduced where a person committing a crime can no be paid any damages and any monies awarded to them are automatically forfeited to charity.

He should have got the money as the injury to his legs affected his potential to earn a living
    ...from robbing other houses

ash23 wrote: »
    Pinned him to the ground? Yeah, that's fair enough. Did he hit him with a car and break both his legs though?

Didn't another guy in the UK almost get charged for injuring a teen he chucked off a train for fair dodging? He hurt the teen.
    The key word is "injury"

If most people see an old lady being mugged in the street their concern, rightly, would be for the safety and well-being of the old lady, not the scumbag mugger.

Of course, the left get it arse about tit and are more concerned for the well-being of the criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Ficheall wrote: »
    It wasn't attempted murder, by a long shot. If he had even been trying to kill him, I'm sure he could have managed it with two hits of a car. And apparently the driver warned the crook that if he tried to escape he would kill him.

Ok then GBH with an automobile and death treat, still not to be taken lightly.

ash23 wrote: »
    The key word is "injury"

Yea, a fair comparison between not paying your train fair, and breaking into and robbing peoples homes, while they are asleep upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭benway

robbie7730 wrote: »
    I would say the vast majority of people in ireland would see only one victim in this case.

I think many more people would go after a burglar, if they had the capacity to do so.

And then we might have a deterent to these "people", instead of the suspended sentences handed out in the justice system of this country.

I would imagine the police were well aquainted with this fellas address. I wonder why. As for prosecution, well that did a lot of good with this burglar previously, didnt it?
    Neat line in speaking for the "vast majority" you've got there :rolleyes:

If more people went after burglars, you'd have more homeowners being injured and killed. It would not act as a deterrent.

Difference with your "have a go hero" is that he used necessary force to prevent the crime.

People seem to be missing the point that the compensation is mostly going to go to doctors, not to the burglar. There will be little or no "profit" for him.

Feel like I've landed on planet Daily Mail here...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Couple of things I'm wondering about though... completely aside from whether you agree that running the thief over was right or wrong...
    Where did the 175k figure come from? Why not 10k or 15k?
    Why should it go to the thief? Lost earnings while he couldn't walk?
    Why can't there now be a separate trial to convict him of breaking an entry, burglary, invasion of privacy and anything else that can be thought up? Given that he admitted he was there in order to win his case, shouldn't that now be proof for a counter case?
    And why can't the wife of the home owner now claim trauma and sleepless nights, depression, anxiety, and anything else that she may be feeling after a scumbag was in her room while she and her kids slept?

If most people see an old lady being mugged in the street their concern, rightly, would be for the safety and well-being of the old lady, not the scumbag mugger.

Of course, the left get it arse about tit and are more concerned for the well-being of the criminal.

And rightly it should be, apprehending a criminal is fine. But doing so by hitting them with a car or shooting them isn't. It's fairly simple I'd have thought.
    Guards can't just shoot or maim suspected criminals so why should the general public be able to?
    I personally wouldn't want the type of country where anyone could shoot anyone for "suspecting" they were the person who robbed their house earlier!
    Yea, a fair comparison between not paying your train fair, and breaking into and robbing peoples homes, while they are asleep upstairs.

Um, the comparison was about the guy who apprehended a handbag snatcher and didn't get arrested because he didn't hurt him.I quoted it an' everything! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

this reminds me of derek nally and 'frog' ward case a few years back. you can defend yourself on your property but outside , on the road etc. then is where it gets really complicated. most people would have chased after the robber , its unfortunate the victim is getting screwed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Why can't there now be a separate trial to convict him of breaking an entry, burglary, invasion of privacy and anything else that can be thought up? Given that he admitted he was there in order to win his case, shouldn't that now be proof for a counter case?

He has already been in court for the burglary and was given a 3 year suspended sentence.

this reminds me of derek nally and 'frog' ward case a few years back. you can defend yourself on your property but outside , on the road etc. then is where it gets really complicated. most people would have chased after the robber , its unfortunate the victim is getting screwed

Padraig Nally.

benway wrote: »
    Neat line in speaking for the "vast majority" you've got there :rolleyes:

The words "i would say" might be a little clue in that line for you. Its another way of saying "in my opinion"
    If more people went after burglars, you'd have more homeowners being injured and killed. It would not act as a deterrent.

And again, i said i think "if they had the capacity to do so" many more would take more action.
    Difference with your "have a go hero" is that he used necessary force to prevent the crime.

My points are that i can understand why people would lose the head.

I seen first hand the horrible grief scum bags cause. The country would be a far better place if they just went out of existance, in my opinion:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

hollypink wrote: »
    He has already been in court for the burglary and was given a 3 year suspended sentence.
    Why a suspended sentence? It wasn't his first suspended sentences. How many can you gather before you have to serve one of them?

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Why a suspended sentence? It wasn't his first suspended sentences. How many can you gather before you have to serve one of them?

Probably none, in the case of the home owner in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

realies wrote: »
    The witness confirmed that he successfully sued the defendant and received €175,000 in damages.

I hope the house owner didnt pay. I'd go to jail before i'd hand over one cent to a low life scum bag like that and if they thought they could take my house as compensation they'd be getting a burnt shell!

The law in this country is an ass!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭benway

My points are that i can understand why people would lose the head.

I seen first hand the horrible grief scum bags cause. The country would be a far better place if they just went out of existance, in my opinion:pac:
    Weasel words, son. I understand why he'd lose the head as well. But what he did was inexcusable.

And who's to say who the "scumbags" are? Bankers and Fianna Fáil is it? Or does it only apply to lads in track suits?

• Advertisement

Weasel words, son. I understand why he'd lose the head as well. But what he did was inexcusable.

Whats this son business?:D
    And who's to say who the "scumbags" are? Bankers and Fianna Fáil is it? Or does it only apply to lads in track suits?

A Lad in a track suit is not a scum bag for being in a track suit. But a lad in a track suit who breaks into a home, and steals other peopls possesions is a scum bag. As would be a lad in a suit breaking into a home and stealing items.

Icepick wrote: »
    Why is this country so scumbag-friendly?

Because everyone is equal under the law. Burglary is one crime and assault is another (more severe) crime. The law states that you can legally use extreme force to protect yourself, your family and your property, but once the burglar legs it you can't run them over twice in your car.

Some of the comments in this thread are hilarious. Calling for the death of a burglar? Sounds like something you'd see in the most extreme of Islamic theocracies.

Because everyone is equal under the law. Burglary is one crime and assault is another (more severe) crime. The law states that you can legally use extreme force to protect yourself, your family and your property, but once the burglar legs it you can't run them over twice in your car.

Hitting an innocent person is assault. Hitting a scumbag burglar shouldn't be.

If this happened in Britain I'd put that homeowner up for a Pride of Britain award.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Hitting an innocent person is assault. Hitting a scumbag burglar shouldn't be.

Thankfully, the real world doesn't work that way.

Because everyone is equal under the law. .

Are they? What country is that in?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Corruptable

Telling? In theory you're entitled to make an arrest if it's an arrestable offense and the perpetrator is likely to evade the Gardaí. But in practice it's a bad idea for most people to take on a criminal in a row, you may open yourself to civil or criminal liability if you use excessive force, or the offense isn't arrest able, or if you make a mistake as to fact. Or you might get yourself a hiding for your troubles.

For those reasons, I would never encourage have-a-go-heroes, just too risky, better to keep yourself safe and leave it to the professionals.

What exact changes do you want?

An exemption from civil and criminal liability for those who effect a citizens arrest in textbook style, utilizing objectively judged reasonable force, for one thing.

Far too much emphasis on the rights of career criminals in this country. Yes, they have certain human rights. It's a pity if you end up getting your human rights denied by a nice fella with 240 previous convictions (yes, there have been people with that many on the streets) I won't be able to see your reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Some of the comments in this thread are hilarious. Calling for the death of a burglar? Sounds like something you'd see in the most extreme of Islamic theocracies.

First instinct protect your family, make sure the person wont come back and finish whatever he started. You dont have time to think is he just robing the place or did he come here to kidnap one of the kids or did he come here to murder us or to rape my wife.

First instinct protect the family and that's what he did. He obeyed his first instinct.

Wonder what would have happened if the man slept through it all, would he have woken to find one of his children gone or raped or murdered, or would he have just robbed the place and got away with it?

First instinct protect your family, make sure the person wont come back and finish whatever he started. You dont have time to think is he just robing the place or did he come here to kidnap one of the kids or did he come here to murder us or to rape my wife.

First instinct protect the family and that's what he did. He obeyed his first instinct.

Wonder what would have happened if the man slept through it all, would he have woken to find one of his children gone or raped or murdered, or would he have just robbed the place and got away with it?

His first instinct was to run out leaving his wife and kids and mow down the guy. He didn't check on his kids and wife or check to see if there was anyone else still in the house.
    If he were my husband I'd kick his hole for running off and leaving me and the kids there on our own while he took off on some macho male vendetta.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

A lot of people have said that he should have followed the burglar home. But what if the burglar just went into a house to rob it?

I hope the home owner appeals the €175k

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

You're right!
    Why, what if he'd put some shaving cream on one of the kids hands and then tickled his nose with a feather?
    Or drawn a picture of a cock on their forehead with a marker?
    Who knows what other fevered imaginings we could conjure up - oh god, maybe he'd even put their hand in a warm bowl of water and made them piss themselves
    WHAT IF HE DID THAT! OH GOD THE HUMANITY!

Advertisement