Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man who knocked down burglar in court

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Ya ridiculous, the burgler was violently running away in a threatening manner, and running into him with a car, twice, was a proportionate act of self defence.[/sarcasm]

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

This country has gone to the dogs. It's complete madness that a burglar get's compensated for robbing someones home despite multiple convictions, hell his medical card probably got him the best of medical care!

Thankfully they've changed to law now so home owners can use reasonable force to protect their homes. It's just a pitty he didn't run this waste of oxygen over in his own drive way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

The only mistake the house owner made was not killing him outright so that he couldnt sue him... Any incident like this, where a person is injured while in the process of committing a crime, should be considered as "misadventure" and the crime itself should prevent the perpetrator from being allowed to take a civil case against the victim of the their crime.. Those civil rights crowds have the country fkd up..

Looked like a junkie from what I saw of the scumbag..

come on Johnny you cannot be serious, he tried to run him down and kill him.
    Even junkies have rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,941 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Ficheall wrote: »
    Same Daniel McCormack as this: http://www.argus.ie/news/court-in-brief-629246.html
    but different to this: http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1207/joycej.html
    shall we assume?

Not the same man.
    I know about this present case.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

hondasam wrote: »

And there lieth thy problem!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭Gonzor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭benway

LoGiE wrote: »
    This country has gone to the dogs. It's complete madness that a burglar get's compensated for robbing someones home despite multiple convictions, hell his medical card probably got him the best of medical care!

Thankfully they've changed to law now so home owners can use reasonable force to protect their homes. It's just a pitty he didn't run this waste of oxygen over in his own drive way.
    Law wasn't changed, just placed on a statutory footing. Reasonable force was always permitted. This is a good example of unreasonable force. People need to get this into their heads, the new Act doesn't give you license to do what you like to burglars.

He's lucky to be getting away with a charge of endangerment - if he'd killed him, it's likely he'd be up for murder, and rightly so. Ridiculous behaviour by the homeowner/driver.

I'd say the fact that the burglar was intentionally run over on a public road, a reasonable distance from the house he'd broken into would have made the lunatic's insurers think that they didn't have much of a chance of defending the case - the burglary isn't even relevant at that stage.

Nice selective reporting as well, way to go RTÉ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Leo Dowling

Guy should have been locked up for intentionally trying to run someone over with his car, he should recieve a lifetime ban from driving too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

How come he successfully sued him already? surely the criminal case would have to take precedence as the civil case would prejudice the jury. I would also be curious as to wether he had been charged with burglary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Guy should have been locked up for intentionally trying to run someone over with his car, he should recieve a lifetime ban from driving too.
    Yeah and the little **** who robbed his house should have his hands cut off but we can't have it all can we?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Yep, the right to be career criminals. The right to free legal aid. The right to be able to receive numerous convictions and still be on the streets to rack up more with a short period of time.

The family man was wrong to hit him with a car, but €175k for a non life threatening injury that you got because you were breaking into someone's house?

The scumbag will no doubt be racking up more convictions in the future, whereas the man who made a very stupid mistake may never come out from that mountain of debt.

Funny how those who can get free legal aid can be found guilty in Irish courts of serious assaults and so on, but don't end up with fines of €175k. If the guy in the car gets done for that, I hope to see Iirsh courts doing the same with others who assault and injure people. I won't be holding my breath to see that happen in Irish courts though.

For me, there should be sentences for both men, and neither should be able to make massive money as both did wrong that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Not the same man.
    I know about this present case.

I knew those two were different guys, but are you telling me the Daniel McCormack in the OP is yet another criminal by that name?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

turbobaby wrote: »
    Pathetic country.

Right yeah, because only in Ireland would somebody be done for running a person over, twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So wait... It is more profitable to get cought stealing then get away with loot?!

Right, neighbour bough 2012 Nissan so I'll go pay a visit. While I am violating his wife and Borrowing his keys, I will drop a baseball bat and then shout: please not my legs! Not my beautifull legs!!!

I will be able legally buy 7 of those 2012 Nissans!!!! Sweet!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,941 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

He didn't try to kill him Sam. He is a decent enough lad who saw red when he thought the burglar had been in his kids rooms. He hit him twice with his car so as not to let him escape. A stupid thing to do but his blood was high at the time. He did hit him deliberately but did not try to kill him and was driving slow to corner him. The burglar is well known in this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Mossay

So wait... It is more profitable to get cought stealing then get away with loot?!

Right, neighbour bough 2012 Nissan so I'll go pay a visit. While I am violating his wife and Borrowing his keys, I will drop a baseball bat and then shout: please not my legs! Not my beautifull legs!!!

I will be able legally buy 7 of those 2012 Nissans!!!! Sweet!!!!

Drop the bat outside his property, on a public road.

Most of the compensation goes to pay medical bills, etc. Unlikely that he'll see much of that as "profit".

It is interesting that the civil case went on before the criminal alright, doesn't normally work that way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Ficheall wrote: »
    stovelid wrote: »
    Exactly.

Should have followed him home to see where if lived and then hit and run him at a later date so he wouldn't know who it was.

Do you honestly think that would have worked? I'm not terribly fit, but I'm fairly sure that if there were some 47-year old chasing after me, not trying to catch me but just observe where I went, at night, either in a car or on foot, I'm fairly confident that I could make good my escape.

He managed to catch up to him to run him over didn't he :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Much easier to do, and you know it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Laisurg wrote: »
    can't go around running people over, burglar or not :rolleyes:
    Would you be saying that if it was your house, your kids, your wife there???:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

back in the 70s my father caught a bloke upstairs in our house, the poor ba$tard fell down the stairs four times....

You cannot take the law into your own hands and expect to get away with it.

The witness has all ready received €175,000 in damages, nice little earner for breaking into some ones home.

Next time he should drag him back to his own property and pummell the sh1te out of him!!

gerryo777 wrote: »
    Next time he should drag him back to his own property and pummell the sh1te out of him!!
    Would be likely to be done for assault. If you drag him back to give him a going over, that can't be reasonable force.

Just sayin'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭Gonzor

Well in fairness the field the guy was running across it wasnt hard to figure out were he was going to end up comming out. THe guy doing the running wasnt the fittest guy in the world anyway, and McCaughey was probably going down the road as fast as he could knowing that he could sit waiting for him to hop over the wall. And then soon as he jumps over the over the wall he gets crushed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Kess73 wrote: »
    Yep, the right to be career criminals. The right to free legal aid. The right to be able to receive numerous convictions and still be on the streets to rack up more with a short period of time.

The family man was wrong to hit him with a car, but €175k for a non life threatening injury that you got because you were breaking into someone's house?

The scumbag will no doubt be racking up more convictions in the future, whereas the man who made a very stupid mistake may never come out from that mountain of debt.

Funny how those who can get free legal aid can be found guilty in Irish courts of serious assaults and so on, but don't end up with fines of €175k. If the guy in the car gets done for that, I hope to see Iirsh courts doing the same with others who assault and injure people. I won't be holding my breath to see that happen in Irish courts though.

For me, there should be sentences for both men, and neither should be able to make massive money as both did wrong that night.
    He didn't try to kill him Sam. He is a decent enough lad who saw red when he thought the burglar had been in his kids rooms. He hit him twice with his car so as not to let him escape. A stupid thing to do but his blood was high at the time. He did hit him deliberately but did not try to kill him and was driving slow to corner him. The burglar is well known in this area.

I feel sorry for the home owner, yes of course he lost the head and went to far, I don't think any burglar should be allowed get compensation.

He got compensation because he was hit by a car same as anyone could.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

I love the reactions of posters sitting safely in their homes who have never experienced the trauma of being burgled. I am of the opinion that if you break into someone else's home you run the risk of the homeowner using deadly force to protect his family and property. I feel nothing for the burglar and he should count himself lucky that all he get were broken legs.

If it was me, and I'm being 100% honest, I wouldn't have knocked him down, but I would've gotten a weapon of sorts and beat him to a bloody pulp. The system we have obviously isn't working, so it's time to change it. Criminals should fear the police and justice system, they're encouraged to continue their criminal ways as they know the punishment will be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭kirving

€175 for getting my leg broken! Yes please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

come on Johnny you cannot be serious, he tried to run him down and kill him. Even junkies have rights.

There should be mitigating circumstances for the VICTIM of this crime... He was awoken to find a guy in his house, and had to react to a situation that he was put in.. This was not a situation of his choosing ... if somebody breaks in to your house it's a life and death situation, and you should give no quarter as any small concession may allow the intruder to gain the upper hand and hurt your or your family..

But mitigating circumstances only seem to work for scumbags trying to get reduced sentences..

benway wrote: »
    Would be likely to be done for assault. If you drag him back to give him a going over, that can't be reasonable force.

Just sayin'
    Just tell the coppers that he came back to break in again and when confronted he attacked. The word of a thieving scumbag or the householder????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

€175 for getting my leg broken! Yes please!

Nope, €175,000. Judge should have told him that he was lucky to get away with his life and then kick him out of court. That would have been fairer.

Advertisement