Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man who knocked down burglar in court

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

There should be mitigating circumstances for the VICTIM of this crime... He was awoken to find a guy in his house, and had to react to a situation that he was put in.. This was not a situation of his choosing ... if somebody breaks in to your house it's a life and death situation, and you should give no quarter as any small concession may allow the intruder to gain the upper hand and hurt your or your family..

But mitigating circumstances only seem to work for scumbags trying to get reduced sentences..

You are forgetting he had left the house, no one was in danger at this stage.
    The home owner had plenty of time to calm down and think about what he was doing. He chased him in a car and ran him down, breaking both his legs.
    This is why he got compensation. I hope the courts go easy on him, honest I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The lesson to be learnt here is to always finish them off.
    Burglars generally don't have last known whereabouts that can connect them to you. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

€175 for getting my leg broken! Yes please!

Mmm, if I give you €350 can I break both your legs ;)

Can't imagine the €175k will last long if that's any consolation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

The entire chain of events was started when the scumbag broke into his house, so the scumbag is 100% responsible for everything that happened afterwards.

It was simple cause and effect. Its not like the guy was out running people over every night for the craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

There should be mitigating circumstances for the VICTIM of this crime... He was awoken to find a guy in his house, and had to react to a situation that he was put in.. This was not a situation of his choosing ... if somebody breaks in to your house it's a life and death situation, and you should give no quarter as any small concession may allow the intruder to gain the upper hand and hurt your or your family..

But mitigating circumstances only seem to work for scumbags trying to get reduced sentences..
    The only victims of crime in this country are the perpetrators of crime.
    God love them, hard upbringing, abusive parents, drink problems, drug problems etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

He had to pay that turd 175,000 euro, sfuking disgraceful, that burgler should have his hands broken!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Laisurg wrote: »
    can't go around running people over, burglar or not :rolleyes:
    Yes you can, the article proves it can be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

The driver was right..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭Gonzor

The scumbag will no doubt be racking up more convictions in the future, whereas the man who made a very stupid mistake may never come out from that mountain of debt.

I wouldnt think so, the guy in question is from probably the wealthiest family in the town. Id say thats probably pocket money for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Burglary is unacceptable but so is running someone over in a car ffs. It's not as if he or his family was in danger. Deserves everything he gets imo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Gonzor wrote: »
    I wouldnt think so, the guy in question is from probably the wealthiest family in the town. Id say thats probably pocket money for him.

I'd say his insurance are the ones who paid out.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,941 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Gonzor wrote: »

Business is not good at the minute though.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Andrew H

His mistake was letting the robbing scum bag out of his front door. I would have made sure he "fell" down the stairs a couple of times before the cops arrived!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

You can't run someone over with your car!

Jebus, of course there are mitigating circumstances, but the man's family were not in danger at that stage, and looked at objectively, trying to run someone over is a worse crime than burglary.

I can't believe people might think that the burglary victim was right to do what he did.
    A justice system based on emotional reactions and revenge. That'd be just great.

What is ridiculous is that the burglar got so much money. His treatment should've been paid for, and that's it. I haven't been to the hospital, but I'm sure his treatment didn't cost €175,000.
    He had to pay that turd 175,000 euro, sfuking disgraceful, that burgler should have his hands broken!!

Why? What would that achieve? His hands would probably heal fairly quickly, so it wouldn't be much of a deterrent, unless you'd like them to be rebroken every time they heal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

I wonder what kind of a family this scumbag came from? That 175K will have bought alot of sovereign rings and hoop earrings.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Marcin_diy

that house owner should have killed burglar. Now he must pay 175k...
    law system is not good. it protect animals too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I would say the scumbags medical bills were payed from his medical card. so he has plenty of money for all the drugs and alcohol he wants now of which will hopefully remove this scumbag from the earth soon by overdose.

I would love to shake that business mans hand myself and buy him a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Jebus, of course there are mitigating circumstances, but the man's family were not in danger at that stage
    How did he know that? What if the burglar had injected them with a slow acting poison to which only he had the antidote?

Ficheall wrote: »
    How did he know that? What if the burglar had injected them with a slow acting poison to which only he had the antidote?

In that case, he could probably have relied on Batman to apprehend the supervillain, so he should've just stayed at home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Id burn all my money before the ©unt could get his hands on a cent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

That driver should get a medal, not be put on trial:mad:

He put the "pedal to the medal"...

I'll get me coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

In that case, he could probably have relied on Batman to apprehend the supervillain, so he should've just stayed at home!

What about that case where the girl had a bomb tied around her neck with ransom demands to be fulfilled in order for the perpetrator to defuse it?
    I realise that one in Sydney was a hoax, but there's no reason it couldn't really happen...

Ficheall wrote: »
    What about that case where the girl had a bomb tied around her neck with ransom demands to be fulfilled in order for the perpetrator to defuse it?
    I realise that one in Sydney was a hoax, but there's no reason it couldn't really happen...

I don't think many burglars are interested in anything else apart from stealing things.

Once they've left the house, you can be pretty sure their interest in committing crimes in the house has ended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

realies wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0214/mccaugheym.html

A 47-year-old Dundalk businessman who drove after and twice knocked down a burglar, has gone on trial in the local Circuit Criminal Court.
    Martin McCaughey from Mount Avenue in the town denies a charge of endangerment at Clann Chulainn Park on 27 June, 2008 and a charge of assault causing harm to Daniel McCormack on the same occasion.
    Mr McCormack admitted to the court that he broke into the home of Mr McCaughey on the morning of 27 June 2008.
    He said he was drunk at the time and when he found himself in an upstairs ensuite bathroom he saw jewellery and he took it.
    He then heard a voice and ran downstairs, out a back door and across a field.
    He ran to Clann Chulainn Park where he lived which was very close by.
    The witness said he remembered being hit a car, getting up and being hit again.
    Mr McCormack said he heard the defendant saying he would kill him if he got up again.
    Both his legs were broken in the incident and he spent two and a half weeks in hospital as a result.
    Under cross examination by Brendan Grehan SC for the defendant, the witness accepted he may have tried to rob another house in the area minutes before he went into the home of the accused.
    He accepted also that he had committed burglaries in the past but that he had been treated leniently by the courts.
    Mr McCormack said he could not recall if he went into the bedrooms of the three children in the accused's house.
    He accepted that he would have had to go into the bedroom of Mr and Mrs McCaughey to get into the bathroom where the jewellery was.
    As he ran from the house he said he could hear someone shouting but he did not stop.
    The jury heard that Mr McCaughey was in his bare feet and only wearing boxer shorts when he drove after the witness.
    Mr Grehan put it to Mr McCormack that his client was trying to stop him and box him in with his car when he was hit.
    He did not stop the first time but the second time he was hit he sustained injuries to his legs.
    The witness confirmed that he successfully sued the defendant and received €175,000 in damages.
    The trial before a jury of six men and six women continues tomorrow.

:mad: If that was my house and I chased the burglar in my car I would do the same or maybe worse :mad:

Would you really? You don't know how you would react until it happened to you. You may be the type who would crap their pants for all we know.

I love the 'what I'd do' ultraviolence retaliation comments that always accompanies these kinds of threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I don't think many burglars are interested in anything else apart from stealing things.

Once they've left the house, you can be pretty sure their interest in committing crimes in the house has ended.
    Its not like he's in a burglar's union where he gets to charge gold time for doing jobs outside his remit. If he didn't actually open the childrens' doors and walk in, they most certainly heard him and will remember that for the rest of their lives.

Ironic justice would be robbing him of his shiny new €175,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

hondasam wrote: »
    come on Johnny you cannot be serious, he tried to run him down and kill him.
    Even junkies have rights.

Where are you getting that from? He isn't up for attempted murder.

I'd love to know where the 175k in damages came from, was it the earnings he would've made out thieving?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

He was robbing in a housing estate

Let him try that out in a rural area

It's lambing season, farmers are working through the night and the gun is ready for any feral animals who threaten property.
    And I don't mean just dogs ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

mikemac1 wrote: »
    He was robbing in a housing estate

Let him try that out in a rural area

It's lambing season, farmers are working through the night and the gun is ready for any feral animals who threaten property.
    And I don't mean just dogs ;)

There's no guns in Dundalk obviously. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I really hope this thread is not a reflection of Irish society. If so its in a very bad place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭benway

Keyboard warriors ... forward march.

Advertisement