Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man who knocked down burglar in court

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

amacachi wrote: »
    Where are you getting that from? He isn't up for attempted murder.

I'd love to know where the 175k in damages came from, was it the earnings he would've made out thieving?

Ok he was not trying to kill him but he did go a bit to far imo.

The damages are for the accident, I wonder did the insurance pay out?
    The witness said he remembered being hit a car, getting up and being hit again.
    Mr McCormack said he heard the defendant saying he would kill him if he got up again.
    Both his legs were broken in the incident and he spent two and a half weeks in hospital as a result

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

Nuttzz wrote: »
    back in the 70s my father caught a bloke upstairs in our house, the poor ba$tard fell down the stairs four times....

Your dad?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

Icepick wrote: »
    Why is this country so scumbag-friendly?

I wish I knew.
    Actually I don't care why , I just really , really wish it wasn't.
    The courts "system" in ireland is off the Fking wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

greendom wrote: »
    I really hope this thread is not a reflection of Irish society. If so its in a very bad place.

Yes it is awful. The poor chappie, harmlessly running away after breaking into a families home. Why he should have been given a boquet of roses and a placard for his innocent playing.

Sure what is a bit of breaking and entering and robbery? No serious crime was commited was it? Few previous convictions, ah sure we all make mistakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭LaFlammeRouge

**** this country.

The judges in Ireland should be lined up and shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Shocking isn't it... in this day an age a man can't get into his own car and run someone down and not get punished :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭Gonzor

mikemac1 wrote: »
    He was robbing in a housing estate

Let him try that out in a rural area

It's lambing season, farmers are working through the night and the gun is ready for any feral animals who threaten property.
    And I don't mean just dogs ;)

Are you seriously trying to say that McCaugheys house is in the middle of a housing estate... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Let me guess, RTE told ya that too. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 45 padraig47

benway wrote: »

Can understand his outrage and everything, but he took it too far. Deserves what he gets imho. If it's more severe than the burglar's punishment, that's because house breaking and petty larceny are less serious offenses than trying to kill someone.

What about the three kids in the house ? I suppose that they don't matter The thief's rights seem to matter more.

padraig47 wrote: »
    What about the three kids in the house ? I suppose that they don't matter The thief's rights seem to matter more.

You have no issue with children learning from their dad that calculated violence designed to harm is ok ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

What about the kids in the house? he was there to rob stuff not kidnap the kids.
    You cannot say the kids were in any danger when he left the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Anyone else remember Carmageddon on the PC?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/16/Carmageddon_box.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 45 padraig47

I really hope this thread is not a reflection of Irish society. If so its in a very bad place.
    It is if scumbags get 175k for robbing a house

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Shocking isn't it... in this day an age a man can't get into his own car and run someone down and not get punished :rolleyes:

He didnt just "run someone down", he hit someone who was robbing his house and entered his children's bedroom. You dont think that, while its not the right thing to do, someone might not react sensibly when subjected to that and that maybe just maybe that might be a mitigating factor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

I'm all for protecting peoples homes, but running over the scummer twice outside the owners property can't be covered by the law.

I agree with what the property owner did though. Though the scummer got 175K.

Imagine how many D10's, ectasy pills were washed down with the Dutch Gold in his place.

hollypink wrote: »
    He didnt just "run someone down", he hit someone who was robbing his house and entered his children's bedroom. You dont think that, while its not the right thing to do, someone might not react sensibly when subjected to that and that maybe just maybe that might be a mitigating factor?

I understand why he did it but it doesn't alter the fact that he deserves punishment for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

The kids would be better off now if their dad had not acted on a rageous impulse and broken the law himself. Instead the family are down €175,000, with the very real prospect of one of the parents being banged up for a year or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

realies wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0214/mccaugheym.html

A 47-year-old Dundalk businessman who drove after and twice knocked down a burglar, has gone on trial in the local Circuit Criminal Court.
    Martin McCaughey from Mount Avenue in the town denies a charge of endangerment at Clann Chulainn Park on 27 June, 2008 and a charge of assault causing harm to Daniel McCormack on the same occasion.
    Mr McCormack admitted to the court that he broke into the home of Mr McCaughey on the morning of 27 June 2008.
    He said he was drunk at the time and when he found himself in an upstairs ensuite bathroom he saw jewellery and he took it.
    He then heard a voice and ran downstairs, out a back door and across a field.
    He ran to Clann Chulainn Park where he lived which was very close by.
    Mr McCormack said he heard the defendant saying he would kill him if he got up again.
    Both his legs were broken in the incident and he spent two and a half weeks in hospital as a result.
    Under cross examination by Brendan Grehan SC for the defendant, the witness accepted he may have tried to rob another house in the area minutes before he went into the home of the accused.
    He accepted also that he had committed burglaries in the past but that he had been treated leniently by the courts.
    Mr McCormack said he could not recall if he went into the bedrooms of the three children in the accused's house.
    He accepted that he would have had to go into the bedroom of Mr and Mrs McCaughey to get into the bathroom where the jewellery was.
    As he ran from the house he said he could hear someone shouting but he did not stop.
    The jury heard that Mr McCaughey was in his bare feet and only wearing boxer shorts when he drove after the witness.
    Mr Grehan put it to Mr McCormack that his client was trying to stop him and box him in with his car when he was hit.
    He did not stop the first time but the second time he was hit he sustained injuries to his legs.
    The witness confirmed that he successfully sued the defendant and received €175,000 in damages.
    The trial before a jury of six men and six women continues tomorrow.

:mad: If that was my house and I chased the burglar in my car I would do the same or maybe worse :mad:

I don't agree with what this guy did and he should be in court really. But that bit in black is the most disgusting thing I have ever heard in my life. What a country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

realies wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0214/mccaugheym.html

A 47-year-old Dundalk businessman who drove after and twice knocked down a burglar, has gone on trial in the local Circuit Criminal Court.
    Martin McCaughey from Mount Avenue in the town denies a charge of endangerment at Clann Chulainn Park on 27 June, 2008 and a charge of assault causing harm to Daniel McCormack on the same occasion.
    Mr McCormack admitted to the court that he broke into the home of Mr McCaughey on the morning of 27 June 2008.
    He said he was drunk at the time and when he found himself in an upstairs ensuite bathroom he saw jewellery and he took it.
    He then heard a voice and ran downstairs, out a back door and across a field.
    He ran to Clann Chulainn Park where he lived which was very close by.
    Both his legs were broken in the incident and he spent two and a half weeks in hospital as a result.
    Under cross examination by Brendan Grehan SC for the defendant, the witness accepted he may have tried to rob another house in the area minutes before he went into the home of the accused.
    He accepted also that he had committed burglaries in the past but that he had been treated leniently by the courts.
    Mr McCormack said he could not recall if he went into the bedrooms of the three children in the accused's house.
    He accepted that he would have had to go into the bedroom of Mr and Mrs McCaughey to get into the bathroom where the jewellery was.
    As he ran from the house he said he could hear someone shouting but he did not stop.
    The jury heard that Mr McCaughey was in his bare feet and only wearing boxer shorts when he drove after the witness.
    Mr Grehan put it to Mr McCormack that his client was trying to stop him and box him in with his car when he was hit.
    He did not stop the first time but the second time he was hit he sustained injuries to his legs.
    The witness confirmed that he successfully sued the defendant and received €175,000 in damages.
    The trial before a jury of six men and six women continues tomorrow.

:mad: If that was my house and I chased the burglar in my car I would do the same or maybe worse :mad:

Has this piece of vermin been tried for these robberies?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,362 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

token101 wrote: »
    Has this piece of vermin been tried for these robberies?

Suspended sentence.

token101 wrote: »
    I don't agree with what this guy did and he should be in court really. But that bit in black is the most disgusting thing I have ever heard in my life. What a country.

Well I cant find any news articles online but RTE 1 news said the burglar received a suspended sentence for burglary so that really gives me faith in the justice system :(

edit: actually heres a link - 3 years suspended alright http://www.argus.ie/news/suspended-sentence-2034541.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,941 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Here is another newspaper article on the incident from the local paper
    http://www.argus.ie/news/local-man-praised-for-bravery-2034540.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

If you ever do catch someone in your house and they shouldn't be there, just deal with them and leave them on the public road or ditch.

When he runs to the police claiming assault deny ever meeting the person.

I am of the opinion that if you break into anyone's property you forfeit your right to any fair or humane treatment. There is absolutely no excuse to break in to someones house other than the intention to harm or rob, therefore fuck them.

And this fool should not see a penny of his compensation claim, it should all go to charity and he should be imprisoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

The issue I see here is the driver simply did not get himself a decent lawyer because if he had he wouldn't have handed over 175 K damages and wouldn't be in court.

Oh, and I always thought that if you hobbled an animal with your car the humane thing to do is to put them out of their misery. Cruel, cruel driver man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

He didn't try to kill him Sam. He is a decent enough lad who saw red when he thought the burglar had been in his kids rooms. He hit him twice with his car so as not to let him escape. A stupid thing to do but his blood was high at the time. He did hit him deliberately but did not try to kill him and was driving slow to corner him. The burglar is well known in this area.

175k damages says otherwise.

The burglar clearly ended up with serious injuries.

Here is another newspaper article on the incident from the local paper
    http://www.argus.ie/news/local-man-praised-for-bravery-2034540.html
    Why a suspended sentence, given his history:
    Garda Barron said McCormack had seven previous convictions for a range of offences including burglary, assault and theft from a person, but he had not come to garda attention for three years from 2005, until this offence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Not serious enough unfortunately. He should have at least crippled the little **** or preferably done a proper job and killed him.

Two broken legs but you don't need a lot of force for that with a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

Two broken legs but you don't need a lot of force for that with a car.

You get 180k for losing both legs according to PIAB, so it must have been quite a bit of damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Jim_Kiy

At least we have the knowledge that the cash will bring no happiness to these scumbags..he probably have it drank and squandered within a year.

• Advertisement

You get 180k for losing both legs according to PIAB, so it must have been quite a bit of damage.

Well he was out and about a few months after the incident. Maybe he's a fast healer.

Advertisement