Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slurry Spreading

• 14-02-2012 8:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

Hi was wondering it use could just tell me a few thinks about spreading
    1) what speed does the PTO spin at when your sucking it out of the tank and for spreading?
    2) What speed do you drive at in the field?
    3) is it true your not suppose to turn in the field with the PTO spinning?
    4) Is it ok to have the pump running when your setting up the pipe to fill or do you have to be getting up and down of the tractor every time?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Krico22

limo_100 wrote: »
    1) what speed does the PTO spin at when your sucking it out of the tank and for spreading?
    Id normally run the pump at 390 - 400 rpm

this depends on how many gallons you want to the acre..

if its a standard shaft you cant but if you have a double knuckle on the shaft you can

4) Is it ok to have the pump running when your setting up the pipe to fill or do you have to be getting up and down of the tractor every time?
    yes you can start the pump and then get down to put on the pipe as the tank has to vacumise.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

about 400rpm

high second or high first:), don't know how many mph this is, sorry

yes, I turn it off on the headlands

Ya it's ok, I rigged up a rope on mine to pull the lever over to the fill position before I get down off the tractor I turn on pto to fill.

Hope this helps

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭limo_100

blue5000 wrote: »
    Hope this helps

what kind of tractor do you have as high gear in ours is quite fast. When you turn the PTO off on the headlands you'd have the back door closed i'm sure?

You rigged the rope cause the pump would be set to spread is it? Would be alrite if you came back to the yard and the pump still set to spread and you turned the pump on before getting down and you then changed it fill before you put the pipe on?

thanks for the help so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭David brown

what kind of tractor do you have as high gear in ours is quite fast. When you turn the PTO off on the headlands you'd have the back door closed i'm sure?

You rigged the rope cause the pump would be set to spread is it? Would be alrite if you came back to the yard and the pump still set to spread and you turned the pump on before getting down and you then changed it fill before you put the pipe on?

Seriously,if you have to ask them basic questions, you shouldnt be spreading. Would be safer to hire in a contractor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭charityboy

limo i think your best and safest bet would be to go to a local farmer /contractor and sit up with them for a few hours if you have very little expierence ,they would be able to show you the basics and also the safety issues with a slurry tanker ,advice you get here is brilliant but you need to know the basics before working any machinery and a good farmer contractor should be only to glad to show you (maybe not the contractor as he may want the work:D:D )

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

I think it's around 5 or 6mph, not sure though,
    There will be a certain amount of pressure on the tanker so there is no need to close the back,
    No, you dont change the pump while its running, it's not that much effort to jump back up to the cab!

Seriously,if you have to ask them basic questions, you shouldnt be spreading. Would be safer to hire in a contractor.
    i'm sorry not to be like and born with the knowledge ur a lucky man but iwasnt as lucky as you so il have to learn il try 2morrow and see if i can be as good as you

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭marzic

i'm sorry not to be like and born with the knowledge ur a lucky man but iwasnt as lucky as you so il have to learn il try 2morrow and see if i can be as good as you

I think David brown was being helpful, its a hell of a dangerous operation to be learning from scratch. If you didnt hire a contractor at least consider spending a couple of days with someone who has experience. A man local to me had a pretty serious accident after getting caught somehow on the pto when shutting off the pump, miraculously he didnt loose any limbs but is still got fairly fcuked up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

They're not being insulting but trying to tell you that if you are asking these basic questions your are running a very real risk of damaging the machinery or worse killing/hurting someone - probably yourself.

The advice you were given about asking a local farmer for help is good advice. From your posts it sounds like you've never operated a vacumn tanker before - your going to damage it if you don't know what to do.

You might want to pull your neck in a little, from reading a lot of the posts on this forum people are more than willing to help others and give good SAFE advice. If they're telling you to get someone to teach you it's not because they like to see their words up on the screen its because they're worried for your safety. If you keep insulting people who have your best interests at heart eventually no-one will help you.

charityboy wrote: »
    limo i think your best and safest bet would be to go to a local farmer /contractor and sit up with them for a few hours if you have very little expierence ,they would be able to show you the basics and also the safety issues with a slurry tanker ,advice you get here is brilliant but you need to know the basics before working any machinery and a good farmer contractor should be only to glad to show you (maybe not the contractor as he may want the work:D:D )

i do no alot cause iv seen it done countless times but i have a friend coming over in the morning for a hour or so. save doing any damage to man and machinery. it was just basically the speeds and small stuff

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

As pajero says you would need the pump set on fill before starting the pto. If you turned the pto on with the tank closed and set to spread you would increase the pressure in the tank, this extra air has to be removed before vaccum builds up in the tank for it to fill.
    I rev the tractor up a bit for a few seconds before turning off the pto at the headlands, my tractor is a (blue) ford 5000, I don't have to stop to turn on/off pto. It's important to have a good pto cover on a vac tank because some ppl do get near pto shafts turning on/off pump/pto.
    I noticed your questions were fairly basic and I've tried to explain the best I could, apologies to any other readers with more experience;)

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    As pajero says you would need the pump set on fill before starting the pto. If you turned the pto on with the tank closed and set to spread you would increase the pressure in the tank, this extra air has to be removed before vaccum builds up in the tank for it to fill.
    I rev the tractor up a bit for a few seconds before turning off the pto at the headlands, my tractor is a (blue) ford 5000, I don't have to stop to turn on/off pto. It's important to have a good pto cover on a vac tank because some ppl do get near pto shafts turning on/off pump/pto.
    I noticed your questions were fairly basic and I've tried to explain the best I could, apologies to any other readers with more experience;)

cheers for that blue the pto is fully covered as its a new tanker. anyway after an hour or so it should be fine il be on flat ground anyway
    i should have known what tractor you had ha..

another important one is if the splash plate gets blocked close down the ram and make sure to let off the pressure in the tank before you open it ,a messy lesson to be learned if the pressure is not let off

another important one is if the splash plate gets blocked close down the ram and make sure to let off the pressure in the tank before you open it ,a messy lesson to be learned if the pressure is not let off

i no that alrite but does it happen often i thought that that would be a rare occasion.?

it depends whats in the tank ,stones plastic netwrap etc ,it can happen a good bit when you come to the bottom of the tank and you suck up foreign objects ,hegdehogs can be a heart breaker

it depends whats in the tank ,stones plastic netwrap etc ,it can happen a good bit when you come to the bottom of the tank and you suck up foreign objects ,hegdehogs can be a heart breaker

ha i lucky for me theres no hedgehogs around us so. he must av went in when you had the tank opened for putting it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Oh the memories!! Not always that simple though, it has often happened me that the blockage would go back in under the shutter and it wouldn't close fully. I always leave the shutter open till I get to the edge of the field and close it then to let the pressure equal out after spreading, just remember to close it going along the road!! When the tanker is full and you are changing back to spreading leave the pump in neutral for a few seconds until the air stops coming out and put it into spread then as there will be still suction in the tank. There's not much to it really, everyone learned somewhere and I'm sure plenty did by trial and error!! A half an hour with someone who's used to it and you will know as much as any of us.

hi just said i let use know that i got on well yesterday not alot to it after the first load or so. Took out 8loads out of one of the tanks just to lower it save it coming up on the cattle. It filled very fast theres a 9000l pump on her so was no time hanging about. so all in all it was a good days work. Thanks to use all that helped :)

Advertisement