Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you consider this to be rude or impolite?

• 14-02-2012 8:27pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 53 ✭✭i_am_job

OK, I am working for a fairly large comany in south Netherlands, and my department has 7 people in it, including me, 5 of them are Dutch, 2 are non Dutch, me, Irish, and the other is a British fellow.
    On lunch break we always eat together, and chat in English, as the Dutch people's English is impecible, Adam, the british guy is absent for two weeks, and lately, the Dutch guys are talking in Dutch at the table in the canteen and I haven't a fúckin' iota what's being said .... is this a little rude, or am I being over sensitive?? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

I'd consider it rude tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Just talk back in double Dutch.

That'll confuse the pish outta them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Start talking in Irish to yourself OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

drink some dutch gold and kick the shyte out of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Just keep saying "WHAT'S THAT MEAN?" really obnoxiously whenever they do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I would consider it rude. It be no different if two people were chatting away in another language you have no clue of. Even if the two were talking in Irish which not everyone be fluent in which I would consider rude also.

So basically start learning dutch...way to get into the conversation and brush up on a new language! Otherwise 'go dutch on them' or just 'dutch them!'

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Chips Ahoy

There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Grab a book or paper and sit at another table.

Edit, just realised this its about the fourth thread you've started in as many minutes.

New answer, I couldn't give a fcukin rats ass mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

From my expierence of living and working over there and having some dutch relatives , this is the norm for many of them ,especially when your the non dutch speaking person and yes ...it is rude .

• Advertisement

Here's an idea start talking Irish to them they won't know what on earth you are on about and they might start talking in English too you again!

Unless they are sworn to secrecy to talk in dutch if they talking about something that might not be of concern to you. Though rude of them all the same not to engage with you in english while they are in dutch conversation.

Ghandee wrote: »
    Edit, just realised this its about the fourth thread you've started in as many minutes.

New answer, I couldn't give a fcukin rats ass mate.

note to self... space out threads

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

kfallon wrote: »
    Start talking in Irish to yourself OP
    davet82 wrote: »
    drink some dutch gold and kick the shyte out of them
    phasers wrote: »
    Just keep saying "WHAT'S THAT MEAN?" really obnoxiously whenever they do it.

This is why i enjoy AH so much:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Run in and start windmilling the impolite feckers!

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 53 ✭✭i_am_job

fedor.2. wrote: »
    This is why i enjoy AH so much:D

what's AH?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

You live in the Netherlands, and get hacked off when people speak Dutch?

i_am_job wrote: »
    what's AH?

Arse Hand... its when you stick your hand up your bum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

what's AH?

Adolf Hitler

I thought everybody knew that :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

OK, I am working for a fairly large comany in south Netherlands, and my department has 7 people in it, including me, 5 of them are Dutch, 2 are non Dutch, me, Irish, and the other is a British fellow.
    On lunch break we always eat together, and chat in English, as the Dutch people's English is impecible, Adam, the british guy is absent for two weeks, and lately, the Dutch guys are talking in Dutch at the table in the canteen and I haven't a fúckin' iota what's being said .... is this a little rude, or am I being over sensitive?? :confused:

I too live in the southern netherlands (eindhoven), and I'm telling ya for sure, the dutch are the rudest bunch of fcuks you could meet! They'd walk over ya rather then help ya up!

You're not being over sensitive, they are just that way and there's very little you can do to change it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

what's AH?

Arse Hole.

what's AH?

Its one half of the Norwegian 80's super group AH-HA.

The other half, (HA), just gig around the pubs and clubs scenes in their native Norway these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

what's AH?

Tis short for After Hours, this forum.

You should try to learn a bit of the language, but yeah it'd be a bit rude I think.

Welkom op de planken.

AH
    is after hours
    op that's why you are posting in AH....? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

what's AH?

Fcukin noob

After hours...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 178 ✭✭Paddy Bateman

Take the piss out of them and then blast them with it ! Ha ! Blasted by their own piss ! That will put and end to them talking in their gobbledygook language.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Learn to speak Dutch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 53 ✭✭i_am_job

doovdela wrote: »
    AH
    is after hours
    op that's why you are posting in AH....? :/

how does one make that spoiler grey thing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Leo Dowling

Ask them what they most dislike about Mrs Doubtfire and what they wouldn't change about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

doovdela wrote: »
    After hours...

You-Dont-Say-Meme-Rage-Face-Nicolas-Cage.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

You live in the Netherlands? And you're annoyed by people speaking Dutch? :confused: Are you learning it?

AH answer: Just sit there eating your lunch repeatedly muttering "Yah. Dish ish gooot." They may give you an impromptu Dutch lesson there and then.

RachaelVO wrote: »
    I too live in the southern netherlands (eindhoven), and I'm telling ya for sure, the dutch are the rudest bunch of fcuks you could meet! They'd walk over ya rather then help ya up!

You're not being over sensitive, they are just that way and there's very little you can do to change it!
    Yes...they could win medals for their rudeness , bad manners and are pretty much self centred ' me me me ' pricks .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

Them guys want ghey times with your British co worker. Because he is not there they don't have to pretend to like you. Go get stoned instead.

Latchy wrote: »
    Yes...they could win medals for their rudeness , bad manners and are pretty much self centred ' me me me ' pricks .

Totally! There isn't an ounce of please of thanks, and their customer services are absolutely SHOCKING!

• Advertisement

OP, I would say they were being rude if they were in Ireland, but you're IN THE FECKING NETHERLANDS! Why on earth shouldn't they speak the native language? I honestly think you're the rude one for not bothering to learn the language well enough to understand a conversation. I can't get my head around living abroad, not learning the language and then complaining about being excluded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

They have proper companies in the Netherlands?

OP, I would say they were being rude if they were in Ireland, but you're IN THE FECKING NETHERLANDS! Why on earth shouldn't they speak the native language? I honestly think you're the rude one for not bothering to learn the language well enough to understand a conversation. I can't get my head around living abroad, not learning the language and then complaining about being excluded.

No offence Talia Full Chip, but you clearly don't have a clue what the dutch are like, they are genuinely rude fcuks (and I speak dutch)! For a lot of people even if you make the effort of speaking/learning dutch, they look at ya as if you've just massacred a loada kittens and then either speak English or walk away. The exception is probably A'dam, but most jobs depend on being nice to foreigners!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Cut your ear lobe off, that will make you seem more dutch, if it doesn't start painting lifesize chairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Don't think it matters where it is. I think if they are well capable of talking the same language as him, it is rude not to. He should learn the language, but can't speak it at the moment.

• Advertisement

No offence Talia Full Chip, but you clearly don't have a clue what the dutch are like, they are genuinely rude fcuks (and I speak dutch)! For a lot of people even if you make the effort of speaking/learning dutch, they look at ya as if you've just massacred a loada kittens and then either speak English or walk away. The exception is probably A'dam, but most jobs depend on being nice to foreigners!

Oh, don't I? I obviously imagined the entire summer I spent there as a teenager and several trips since then. I'm not saying they're the most likeable people in the world - they would generally be quite rude compared to the Irish or the British, but I've never had that reaction. I went shopping in Maastricht a few years ago, spoke Dutch in every shop and nobody batted an eyelid. And I barely speak it at all these days.

I just think moving to a country and not learning the language kind of denies you the right to moan about the locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Correct me if I am incorrect but is not Dutch a second class kind of German, so OP learn the Germanic mother tongue and impress them with your thirst for knowledge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Sounds like they don't like you much. Maybe work on your people skills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

Correct me if I am incorrect but is not Dutch a second class kind of German, so OP learn the Germanic mother tongue and impress them with your thirst for knowledge.

This will endear you very much to the Dutch. Just like when you speak Russian in Warsaw, or Spanish in Lisbon. Their knickers will just fall off there and then.

Totally! There isn't an ounce of please of thanks, and their customer services are absolutely SHOCKING!
    Yes and like you am going by expierence of living and working there . There is something about the Dutch which apart from their ignorance is just pretentious , shallow and they love to play the oneupmanship game more then anybody .

Probably the only thread of the OP that hasn't been closed down tonight but there's still time yet ..:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Yes and like you am going by expierence of living and working there . There is something about the Dutch which apart from their ignorance is just pretentious , shallow and they love to play the oneupmanship game more then anybody .

Lies , all lies Us Irish have the monopoly on ignorance , xenophobia , lack of
    manners, customer service etc Dont get me started on "feriners and their wimmin ,taking er jerbs.... by the way ,whatcha do to Adam , OP ?

=mattjack;77091722]Lies , all lies Us Irish have the monopoly on ignorance , xenophobia , lack of
    manners, customer service etc Dont get me started on "feriners and their wimmin ,taking er jerbs

Rachael and I are going from expierence of living with and working among the Dutch in the Netherlands ...not the Irish in Ireland , of which this thread is 'not about '.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Just speak English in a Dutch accent - they will be impressed and include you in their group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

They speak their own language amongst themselves in their country? The absolute cheek!!! Inform them that they are backward and that only English is acceptable in your presence. Should they resist your reasonabe and forward thinking demands, speak slowly and loudly in English while adopting a look of withering derision until they stop their nationalistic nonsense and speak English like everyone else in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Yes it's very rude.
    Learn ****ing Dutch, you rude prick!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement