Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you consider this to be rude or impolite?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Big Johnson

Learn Ik ga akkoord - I agree. That will have them impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Een daarvan is naar verwachting spreken Nederlands in Holland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Oh, don't I? I obviously imagined the entire summer I spent there as a teenager and several trips since then. I'm not saying they're the most likeable people in the world - they would generally be quite rude compared to the Irish or the British, but I've never had that reaction. I went shopping in Maastricht a few years ago, spoke Dutch in every shop and nobody batted an eyelid. And I barely speak it at all these days.

I just think moving to a country and not learning the language kind of denies you the right to moan about the locals.

An entire summer as a teenager and a few trips is not likely to make you an expert, I live there, god help me married one (although in fairness his mum is Engilsh, so he doesn't exactly have dutch manners), and their lack of manners drives me fecking well demented! I'm there 8 years, so I reckon my 8 years trumps your entire summer ;)

You mentioned Maastricht, that's not a bad city to go to, in fact, they aren't so bad, but then they rely heavily on tourism, especially from Germany and Belgium, so they are going to have a certain amount of politeness! Try Eindhoven, Nijmegen, Groningen, Breda, Rotterdam... they most certainly are rude sh1tes!

The Netherlands is full and relys heavily on its english speaking migrants, especially in the area of IT, as they are behind in that area, and their second language is English, and very heavily influenced by america, so if you have a colleague sitting at a table with you, and you don't include them in the conversation, it is rude, and there is no getting away from that fact!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

ye it is rude and that's something that's getting on my nerves at the moment, living in a house share with international people who always have their friends over and just speak away in their own language when I'm there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement