Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Realt Dearg closed...

Options
  • 14-02-2012 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭

According to the Reald Dearg facebook page, they have closed as of today.

There goes another nice little pub and music venue...

b267c.jpg

Anybody know what the story was?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Really sad to hear that. I just saw it on Facebook. It was a lovely little pub, and the boyfs band played there on occasion. Shame to see it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Goddammit, first Bourbon Street, now this. I wanted to gig there soon with my own band. The amount of businesses closing in Cork is getting scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Lovely pub, great staff. Really sad to see it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Owen wrote: »
    Goddammit, first Bourbon Street, now this. I wanted to gig there soon with my own band. The amount of businesses closing in Cork is getting scary.

Bourbon St. is gone too? damn. it's like there's a new place gone every day at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Bourbon St? Never heard of there.

Shame about An Realt. Good spot. Used to love it as the Gateway, was gutted when that died, delighted to see An Realt come about. Did not get there as often as I should have. Its a loss, but I think Tom Barrys kind of has Barrack St tied up for any decent sized crowds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

gimmick wrote: »
    Bourbon St? Never heard of there.

in between the LV and Bru on Macurtain street. nice enough place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Jes me chap had a gig in Bourban not too long ago what a shame they are closed..And Realt Dearg was a loverly cozy spot..Shame shame soon all that will be left in town is the likes of Soho and The Bowery which i dont mind the Bowery but tis way way too big

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭lukin

Nice pub but the men's loos in there were shocking. They obviously didn't have the dosh to do them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Milly33 wrote: »
    Jes me chap had a gig in Bourban not too long ago what a shame they are closed..And Realt Dearg was a loverly cozy spot..Shame shame soon all that will be left in town is the likes of Soho and The Bowery which i dont mind the Bowery but tis way way too big

Probably petty on my part, but because of the part they played in the demise of the quad, I will never go there.
    Serious lack of good music/conversation bars in Cork now and it's a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

just saw on facebook that the star has closed as well. one of my favourite pubs, there was always a good atmosphere in there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭tech

what happened??

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Ronan cork

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Milly33 wrote: »

Probably petty on my part, but because of the part they played in the demise of the quad, I will never go there.
    Serious lack of good music/conversation bars in Cork now and it's a shame.

Conversation in the quad??any time I was in there I left with ringing in my ears and a sore throat!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

If its not taken over before the license goes its goodbye to the oldest continuously licensed bar in cork (and I believe Ireland)

lukin wrote: »
    Nice pub but the men's loos in there were shocking. They obviously didn't have the dosh to do them up.

Haha. Think they are bad now, when it was the gateway (when Mel was manager) they hit an all time low. At the urinal wall - it was literally just wall, no metal. Well, eventually said wall gave way and went unrepaired for at least 3 months, leaving just a urinal hole, with some wall. So in comparison, the toilets at the moment are luxurious :)

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭AwayWithFaries

The Star on Western Road has closed too. Same owner. Pity to see them go. Nice pubs and I've met the owner a few times seems like a good guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

The Star on Western Road has closed too. Same owner. Pity to see them go. Nice pubs and I've met the owner a few times seems like a good guy.

The Star has been closed - and demolished - for years.

The (former) Thirsty Scholar is the Star they are on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

aaahhhhh!

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭AwayWithFaries

Ah yeah, I probably should have said the Thirsty, to make it clear I'm not living in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Fuzz McG

Different owners. Same leaseholder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

there have been rumours that the star was owned by a few people and one of them ran off to spain with a lot of the money.
    it sounds like lies to me, does anyone know if this is true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

EyeSight wrote: »
    there have been rumours that the star was owned by a few people and one of them ran off to spain with a lot of the money.

there have been some reports in various papers which if you add them together may just give the full story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

I used to be a regular in a pub not in the city that was owned by this guy. Seems he's gone to Spain alright but is being picked up there and sent back to Ireland. Really shocked, he's a real sound guy and a great publican. Seems he got himself muddled up badly and it got reported. A real pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 TheBookKeeper

Hey

Maybe somebody here can help me. I am very interested in the possibility of acquiring the lease at The Star. I have tried very hard since it closed to find out who owns the licensed premises, but I have failed to find out anything. I have worked in and managed for many years and I feel I could really make a go of The Star again. It was a great pub and as a UCC graduate myself I know it is an essential pub for the college.

If anyone know anyone I can contact in relation to the lease I would be very thankful.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Fuzz McG

If there's a To Let sign above the building, just call them and they should be able to provide you with any information you need.

It's possible that the owner already has someone sorted to take over, of course. Or they could still be wading through legal issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

EyeSight wrote: »

I heard the same from people who would know more about the trade than I would, apparently the earnings for a few weeks over some big college week were taken and many of their suppliers were left unpaid. No one has named any names but I for one hope they are caught and thrown in a cell to rot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

i'm sure that if you go for a drink in macroom, you'll hear the truth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

as a UCC graduate myself I know it is an essential pub for the college.

Evidently not seeing as it changed hands and names more than a few times in the last 5 or 6 years...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 TheBookKeeper

just twice in like 10 years!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

just twice in like 10 years!!!!!!!!!!!

on that note as a current student, pubs around the college don't get much business imo, if they are drinking in/around college, the new bar and old bar suffice, the majority now drink at home and then go straight to the club (moreso then usual), and if they are going to a pub its the fran well, whichever bar is selected as student union organised event bar or mardyke they go to.

my first time in college years ago every bar on washington street/college area would have been packed, its not like that or close to that at all anymore.

Advertisement