Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Day recording new album today!

Options
  • 14-02-2012 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Just saw on twitter:
    Billie Joe Armstrong @BJAofficial
    Happy Valantine's day! Officially started recording the new record today. It's **** TIME!!!!

Anyone else jumping around the place?

What do we think the chances of a summer release/tour is?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Never listened to Green Day since they went all mainstream in the mid noughties, loved their nineties stuff. Used to hate people saying that they were Green Day's biggest fan when American Idiot came out, despite having never heard of them before!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭mallachyrivers

Who cares?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Never listened to Green Day since they went all mainstream in the mid noughties, loved their nineties stuff.

Yeah, all their stuff in the 90s was so niche and independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Never listened to Green Day since they went all mainstream in the mid noughties, loved their nineties stuff. Used to hate people saying that they were Green Day's biggest fan when American Idiot came out, despite having never heard of them before!

I think that says more about the "fans" at the time than Green Day themselves.

The band never intended for American Idiot to be as big as it was, it just became an unprecedented success.

I enjoyed the last two albums, they had some memorable tunes with songs like Restless Heart Syndrome, Last of The American Girls, Are We The Waiting, Viva la Gloria etc.

I reckon the new record should be good, not really sure about the chances of a tour in the summer. I could see them do a return to the O2 in the winter and then some outdoor gig next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Who cares?

Green Day fans, I'd expect. Nice post though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Sorry to bump the old thread but article about this trilogy of new albums in Rolling Stone. 36 songs confirmed and are said to go back to the crunchy feel of Dookie! (I realise how dirty that sounds.)

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭nimrod86

Completely forgot about this thread! Can't wait for this now! I really liked the feel of the old songs, so it's so exciting to hear that! Any chance you could post a link to that article?

• Site Banned Posts: 236 ✭✭vader65

I don't really care for much of their newer stuff, but will be interested to hear this album when it is released.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭bluugirl

This is the article if anyones interested
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/q-a-billie-joe-armstrong-on-green-days-raw-punk-albums-20120620#ixzz1yLbORA61

It says theres a full interview in the magazine that hits "newsstands Friday" Ive never bought it before but would be interested in it just for this but is there a different version for here and US and will it be out the same time does anyone know?

Just found this its a video someone made of 13 partial covers of new green day material they heard at one of their secret shows,sounds a bit like their work as foxboro hot tubs

http://youtu.be/PAQH5LqFIpI

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Green Day went mainstream when they released Dookie in 1994. They were as big then as they were when they released American Idiot. Dookie wasn't bad but it was still 'punk' repackaged for the charts, ripping off the likes of Husker Du, Stiff Little Fingers and The Clash. The only thing that has changed since then is that their songs got progressively worse.

Zero1986 wrote: »
    Green Day went mainstream when they released Dookie in 1994. They were as big then as they were when they released American Idiot. Dookie wasn't bad but it was still 'punk' repackaged for the charts, ripping off the likes of Husker Du, Stiff Little Fingers and The Clash. The only thing that has changed since then is that their songs got progressively worse.

Not strictly true because although Dookie was a huge commercial success, it didn't have as much media support as American Idiot, and it didn't have vast airplay on pop radio like AI.

And Green Day didn't go on to play stadiums until AI, which they would have if Dookie made them as big as they were in 2004/5.

There is nothing punk about Green Day, they are pop rock the same as Blink, MCR, All-American Rejects et al.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

It really gets to me when people go on and on and on about them going mainstream and not being punk etc. I'd agree with karaokeman in that it says more about the fans than the band. Bands change, their style evolves, it's only natural. I think the same people who complain about them changing would complain if all their songs were the same. If you don't like it then fair enough but there's no need for such a huge debate over it IMO. /rant

Anyway, yeah, there are three albums due for release. Uno, Dos and Tre in September, November and January respectively.

If anyone wants to see here are the trailers for Uno and Dos. The preview for Tre hasn't been released yet.

Hopefully these albums will bring them back over here soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭bren2001

New song released today.

http://www.nme.com/news/green-day/64939

It's pretty poor. For this to be the leading single is quit disappointing. I've lowered my expectations of the album.

bren2001 wrote: »
    New song released today.

http://www.nme.com/news/green-day/64939

It's pretty poor. For this to be the leading single is quit disappointing. I've lowered my expectations of the album.

I know right? dunno why this is the first release from the album its last on the tracklisting and the worst imo.People have put up recordings of some of the other songs on youtube from the "secret" shows.

Seems I'm the only one that likes the song. :o

Really? I think it's great that they seem to be taking on a new sound!

nimrod86 wrote: »
    Really? I think it's great that they seem to be taking on a new sound!

Me too, I like the song a lot. Really looking forward to the albums. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭bren2001

I really enjoyed 21st Century Breakdown and the shift away from American Idiot. I just find the song a bit too bland. I find myself waiting for the song to get going, it builds up to the chorus each time and then just mellows out again. I'll be disappointed if the album is like this, can't predict the album off one song though.

The song has grown on my a little throughout the day. Still think its poor especially for the leading single. I've questioned how they could release 3 albums in such a short space. I think I'd prefer one 10 song album with 10 good songs.

I quite like the new song, I'd probably disagree its unlike anything Green Day have ever done before but listening to it, just seems they have finally accepted they're not a punk band.

Its power pop, and there is a laid back aspect to it so you can tell they're not trying too hard, which was the case with much of 21st Century Breakdown.

I'll make up my mind where they're at when I hear the album, so for now this will do:).

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 152 ✭✭CUPimus

To be honest, I didn't realise that Greenday had albums before American Idiot, their old stuff its sooooooo much better!

• Registered Users Posts: 72,747 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

The cynic in me thinks that releasing three albums at the same time is the work of a greedy record company who want three times the profit, following disappointing sales of the previous album (disappointing when compared to 'American Idiot').

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Prettyblack

The cynic in me thinks that releasing three albums at the same time is the work of a greedy record company who want three times the profit, following disappointing sales of the previous album (disappointing when compared to 'American Idiot').

Or its a sign of the label indulging their artist, allowing them put out THREE albums in one year...

Any label worth its salt would rather they released one a year, or at least one now, one in spring and one next Christmas.

But because Green Day have sold a lot of records, they have a lot of power.

I was expecting it to me more punky, given the cover art and so on, but its not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Really enjoying the album so far

Temaz wrote: »
    Really enjoying the album so far

Yeah, me too! So good, and unusual that a big band like Green Day is putting the album all over the internet to stream for free! Seems so strange in the modern greedy society! Although I'll still be buying the CD to support my favourite band! :D

nim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Picked up my copy earlier!

Temaz wrote: »
    Picked up my copy earlier!

As in an actual cd???? WHERE!!!! I MUST KNOW!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Anyone see Billie Joe running out of ****s to give in Las Vegas the other night?

Pretty class stuff. G'wan the lads.

rcaz wrote: »
    Anyone see Billie Joe running out of ****s to give in Las Vegas the other night?

he was right to give out like that, why should they have to cut their set short just because usher's went on 25 minutes longer than it should have? legend :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

rcaz wrote: »

Haha that's gas :D Just wait til all the Justin Beiber fangirls rain on that video saying good music should be banned

Advertisement