Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joint Herdowners -Tax Implications

• 14-02-2012 8:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭

I would be most grateful if you could clarify the following query as I have been unable to locate an answer online.

I currently help out on my fathers farm and he has asked me become a joint herdowner. (Department of Agriculture Form ER1.1) However I shall not receive any benefit financial or otherwise from my new role. SFP payments etc will probably be in our joint names but my auld lad will keep those.

I assume that given my father will receive all the income from the farm that me entering in joint herdownership will not create any tax liability for me.

Can anybody confirm this for me?

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

what 'benefit' will you get? Will you be getting any income from the farm at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭MaxPower131

ravima wrote: »
    what 'benefit' will you get? Will you be getting any income from the farm at all?

Down the road I'll inherit the farm so I suppose this is the first step. My father is rather cautious so would like to "ease" me into it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭99nsr125

I would be most grateful if you could clarify the following query as I have been unable to locate an answer online.

I currently help out on my fathers farm and he has asked me become a joint herdowner. (Department of Agriculture Form ER1.1) However I shall not receive any benefit financial or otherwise from my new role. SFP payments etc will probably be in our joint names but my auld lad will keep those.

I assume that given my father will receive all the income from the farm that me entering in joint herdownership will not create any tax liability for me.

Can anybody confirm this for me?

Many thanks in advance.

Haven't looked at this type of thing in a little while
    but the situation was;

Holder of herd/flock numbers etc are responsible for the
    welfare of the animals to include TB tests etc.

Whether they benefit financially
    from the animals is a different matter.

Somebody will be recording income/profit/loss
    on accounts submitted to the revenue currently,
    The "Somenody" can remain the "Whole and Only"
    benificary.

In other words add your self to the herdnumber
    as a start but not to the SFP.

As a joint herdnumber signitary if the animals break
    out and cause damage YOU are jointly responsible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭MaxPower131

99nsr125 wrote: »
    Haven't looked at this type of thing in a little while
    but the situation was;

Holder of herd/flock numbers etc are responsible for the
    welfare of the animals to include TB tests etc.

Whether they benefit financially
    from the animals is a different matter.

Somebody will be recording income/profit/loss
    on accounts submitted to the revenue currently,
    The "Somenody" can remain the "Whole and Only"
    benificary.

In other words add your self to the herdnumber
    as a start but not to the SFP.

As a joint herdnumber signitary if the animals break
    out and cause damage YOU are jointly responsible.

Many thanks 99nsr125, I was hoping it would be along those lines.

Advertisement