Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Southside/Hurricane Festival Germany 2012

Options
  • 14-02-2012 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

These two festivals are running from the 22-24 of June.One is situated in the north of the country and the other in the south.They have near identical line-ups.

Anybody been to this festival before?Anyone going this year?

Thinking of going myself tickets are quite cheap at approx €130 and I'm really liking how the line-up is shaping up.

Notable acts so far announced are the stone roses, the cure, new order, florence and the machine, the xx, justice, beardyman, beirut, mumford and sons, blink 182, noel gallagher's high flying birds, vaccines, m83, kooks.

http://www.southside.de/en/
    http://www.hurricane.de/en/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Yeah, I went to Southside in 2008. As you say, they generally seem to have excellent lineups for the money. It was also baking hot and relentlessly sunny that year -- I should have brought thrice the sunscreen, at twice the SPF. (OTOH, seemingly there was a storm the year before, a stage was destroyed, and someone was killed by flying wreckage, so you can't take that one to the bank.)

I'd recommend it! Excellent selections of acts (that year at least, and often comparable, from what I've seen). Less excessive in size than the megafests in Ireland and Britain. Relatively good and well-kept facilities by festival standards -- probably helped by the weather, hence lack of mud, but probably largely because it's attended/run by Germans, frankly. Hey, some stereotypes contain a nugget of truth...

The main caveat would be the language thing, if you don't speak it, but that's not really too bad. Most Germans can manage in English, and aren't too precious about it. (Unlike certain neighbouring nationalities.) Get a phrasebook, bring a friend with. Also -- somewhat contrary to stereotype -- the transport infrastructure getting there was a little threadbare. Overcrowded little regional trains, queues for the transport buses to the site.

The site was possibly a little small: the two stages were sufficiently close together that there was noticeable "crosstalk" between them. (I recall Thom Yorke complaining about this.) Kooks also played that year, too. No getting rid of them, it seems. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭kingtubby

Thanks for the reponse!

€130 was the early bird price but that has now gone up to €140. Still not too bad!

Still thinking of going, don't have German but from everything I hear that isn't a huge problem.

Since I first posted the following acts have been added: The Shins, The Mars Volta, Twin Shadow and Bombay Cycling Club amongst others.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

You're welcome -- sorry it was so long coming, and might have cost you an extra tenner. :)

I totally agree about the value for money. Only a little dearer than Indiependence, whose lineup (so far at least) is pretty meh!/who?, for me. And cheaper than EP, which isn't that much better, really! Lineup isn't quite as appealing as in 2008, and no fest-buddy this time, so unlikely to be going this time, sadly, but can't say I'm not tempted. Not to mention the sun > mud (in)equation.

I'd recommend making a bit of an effort with the language, but if push comes to shove, you'll be able to manage OK without a word. And seen one West Germanic language, seen 'em all, right?

Advertisement