Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

classification of crime

• 14-02-2012 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

I have a quick question but im not sure if this is the right place to be asking but sure what harm its only a question.. what classification of crime does manslaughter fall under? thanks in advance

Comments

I have a quick question but im not sure if this is the right place to be asking but sure what harm its only a question.. what classification of crime does manslaughter fall under? thanks in advance

What do you mean by "classification"?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Indictable

Serious

A crime of basic intent

Etc

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭HATCHET IRL

Indictable

Serious

A crime of basic intent

Etc

so can manslaughter fall under multiple classifications at once?
    Im doin a project basically on manslaughter and have to apply a classification to the crime and i wassnt sure if it fell under serious, indictable or arrestable? is it even an arrestable offence?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Indictable

Serious

A crime of basic intent

Etc

so can manslaughter fall under multiple classifications at once?
    Im doin a project basically on manslaughter and have to apply a classification to the crime and i wassnt sure if it fell under serious, indictable or arrestable? is it even an arrestable offence?

Yes, it's all those things. It's like a supercrime.

It's also an arrestsble offence within the meaning of section 4 of the 1997, mostly because it falls within the meaning o serious in that act

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

is it even an arrestable offence?

it would be a truly screwed up society where manslaughter was not an arrest able offence.

• Advertisement

Marcusm wrote: »
    it would be a truly screwed up society where manslaughter was not an arrest able offence.
    yes it would be i suppose :), thanks for yer help anyways

sorry for being a pest but I have another question. if someone has been arrested for an arrestable offence can they make bail?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Yes but it depends on many factors.

How would they be arrested for a non-arrestable offence though? :confused:

lol i never said a non-arrestable offence, i said an arrestable offence, i think

I took the inference from you question that you knew of bail and since you were asking the question on arrestable offences that you thought bail applied to something else...

May I ask in what context you are asking these questions? School project or something? I might be able to point you in the direction of a good website or two depending on how much info you want.

• Advertisement

yeah college assignment. its not a huge assignment but the notes dont go into too much detail and every time i look online i get the site where the notes are taking from. Oh the site is citizensinformation.ie.

College assignment? As in 3rd level? What subject?

Reason I'm asking is Criminology / Sociology would have very different "classifications" of crime from the purely legal aspect.

its a social studies course, we just have to do a bit of legal studies as part of the course, its nothin too intense but i would like too understand what im writing about instead of just copyin everything down and as i said college notes are very vague

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Marcusm wrote: »
    Offhand, classic republican Rome - it was more a civil matter to gain compensation: source "Murder Was Not a Crime: Homicide and Power in the Roman Republic" - Gaughan

Ah cool you can do a bit of dipping on the following subjects then. I know I'll be flamed to a crisp for this but Wikipedia is great for getting an overview of things. For gods sake don't use it as source though!

Have a look at the differences between the Common Law and Civil Law Systems. Basically one is based on cases (common) the other on codified laws (civil). That you may be able to ignore.

Then there is the difference between Criminal and Civil Law (a different civil to the above!) sorry if this is telling you stuff you already know. A good thing to note is that criminal law is about punishing the offender, where as damages (the main remedy in civil law) is to compensate the victim. Punishing the offender in civil cases is merely a side effect (mostly!)

Criminal is then very basically broken down into minor and indictable. The Irish Constitution provides for a jury trail among other things on indictable offences.

From a social / criminology perspective crime had many definitions and a quick google search of criminology might give you some background.

Sorry if thats naff all help but feel free to PM me if you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

sorry for being a pest but I have another question. if someone has been arrested for an arrestable offence can they make bail?
    Anyone can get bail, however for some crimes that will be police bail (the Garda will give bail on the day) whereas other situations will require court bail (which may take a few days).

Bail will be refused based on certain limited factors, e.g. if the person is a flight risk, will interfere with witnesses or it is believed they will commit further crimes while on bail.

Advertisement