Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rice

• 14-02-2012 9:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭

Is Boiled Rice okay to give to a dog?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

yes, most dog food contains rice, but why do you ask?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

had chops and rice for dinner and left a bit of rice didn't want to throw it out

It doesn't really have any nutritional value to the dog, it would pretty much just go in one end and out the other, it shouldn't do any harm but I just asked in case you were thinking of using it as part of the dogs normal diet or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

I have a really picky eater and the only way I could get her to eat her Royal Canin kibble was to mix in wet (tinned) dog food. Then she developed pancreaitis as the tinned food was too rich for her according to my vet.
    She was on a gastrointestinal Royal Canin diet until she was back to normal and since then I have cut out all tinned food from her diet.
    Instead I have been cooking for her and mixing this with her kibble (Burns now, as it is lower in protein)
    What I cook is a mix of brown rice (sometimes with some pasta mixed in), mixed frozen veg (brocolli, carrott, cauliflower and peas) and either chicken, minced beef or tinned salmon.
    She is loving this, as is my foster dog who almost eats bowl and all!
    But is this mix good for them or should I be using something else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Will it do any harm= No

Will it do any good= No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Of course rice can do good esp. brown rice it contains fibre. Can a dog not process the B vitamins in rice?? Brown rice is better but no harm in giving them a bit of white to save chucking it. My dogs get left over rice or spuds, as long as there's no onion or anything that will irritate their tums in it. My lot had mashed potatoes tonight with their food, it had a bit of butter in it but that's it. They love it and saves wasting it.

Rice (esp. brown or a mix of brown and white) is very handy as a filler if you run low on dog food.

To be honest you'd be better off giving the potato tithe birds. It's no good to the dog they don't need carbohydrates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

It doesn't really have any nutritional value to the dog, it would pretty much just go in one end and out the other, it shouldn't do any harm but I just asked in case you were thinking of using it as part of the dogs normal diet or something.

John Burns has read this post and the Burns dog food company has now collapsed! :rolleyes:

(Burns chicken & brown rice:

Ingredients:
    Brown Rice (Min 63%), Chicken Meal (Min 20%), Oats, Peas, Chicken Oil, Sunflower Oil, Seaweed, Minerals & Vitamins)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

paultf wrote: »
    John Burns has read this post and the Burns dog food company has now collapsed! :rolleyes:

(Burns chicken & brown rice:

Ingredients:
    Brown Rice (Min 63%), Chicken Meal (Min 20%), Oats, Peas, Chicken Oil, Sunflower Oil, Seaweed, Minerals & Vitamins)

Perhaps that's why dog's fed on burns are leaner? :confused:

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Perhaps that's why dog's fed on burns are leaner? :confused:

I think so too.

Supposedly when he was working as a vet, clients were coming in with their pets with problems that were caused by poor commercial foods.

So he told them to homecook chicken & rice.

His clients after a while said they didn't have the time to homecook so that is where Burns dog food came from.

My dogs are all slim on Burns. Some people don't agree with the food.

• Advertisement

[Some people don't agree with the food.[/QUOTE]

Why not? I just switched to Burns from Royal Canin - thought it sounded better:confused:
    As I said above, I am feeding with with a homecooked mix of meat or chicken plus brown rice and veg?

Shazanne wrote: »
    [Some people don't agree with the food.

Why not? I just switched to Burns from Royal Canin - thought it sounded better:confused:
    As I said above, I am feeding with with a homecooked mix of meat or chicken plus brown rice and veg?[/QUOTE]

I have been using Burns for 3 years and I think its a great food. My dogs love it. IMO its a good quality food and if you search on the web you can get it for a good price. (I tried other foods and it didn't work out.)

I saw some posts on boards recently and also on forums in the UK. Some people think it keeps their dog too lean. That is the main complaint I have seen. EDIT: also some people don't like the high rice content.

Yet on the same forum loads of people were saying how great the food is.

I suppose the thing is as always when we talk about foods, not every food suits every dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Sounds very healthy Shazanne but if you're feeding boneless meat in the mix, your dog's probably not getting enough calcium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

Irishchick wrote: »
    To be honest you'd be better off giving the potato tithe birds. It's no good to the dog they don't need carbohydrates.

I give my dogs cooked potato skins and other food leftovers, together with so called poor commercial dog food from the supermarket.

Never had a dog die before the age of fifteen and all dogs are currently healthy - not needed to go to the vet due to poor diet.

That only holds true if you believe dogs should be fed exclusively on animal protein. For some dogs, that's not an option.

My dog gets potato most days. It is nutritious as part of a balanced, home-prepared diet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

I have always understood that boiled rice was a nice , ' gentle ' food to give to a dog recovering from a sick tummy ?

boomerang wrote: »

That only holds true if you believe dogs should be fed exclusively on animal protein. For some dogs, that's not an option.

My dog gets potato most days. It is nutritious as part of a balanced, home-prepared diet.

How is giving a dog something it doesnt need nutritious !! ..I don't know where people get this stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

Ive always given mine rice and chicken if they have a dodgy tummy or after operations

Potato has more vitamins, minerals and fibre than rice. So if it's a choice between rice or spud, I'd go with spud.

Potato is also a cheap source of carbohydrate, which dogs don't need as they satisfy their energy requirements by converting the amino acids and fat in meat to glucose. But if there are carbohydrates in the diet, these will meet the dog's energy needs.

I'd rather give my dog a balanced mix of fresh, moist carbs and raw meat, than a bag of dry Orijen.

Not everyone has the time or interest to prepare a BARF-style diet, and more importantly, not everyone can afford it.

Delancey wrote: »
    I have always understood that boiled rice was a nice , ' gentle ' food to give to a dog recovering from a sick tummy ?

It is, in combination with a complete protein like chicken, because it can be easily assimilated by the body while meeting the animal's nutritional requirements. So it's a good convalescent food.

• Advertisement

Yes, its a filler, it bulks up whatever its fed with, for dogs with upset stomachs or ongoing digestive issues I'm sure it collects excess stomach acid on the way. I'm sure it also regulates the rate of digestion and absorption of the nutrients the dog needs, which is the benefit Shazanne's dog obviously gets.

If dogs need carbs then why isn't the percentage listed on any of the bags of food that contain them? Boiled rice is recommended for sick dogs with a boiled meat fed at the same time not on it's own. It also makes everything pass through the digestive system more easily because it's a filler.

None of this is what the OP asked, if given the rice on its own just because - all it will do is go in one end and out the other.

Shazanne - I wouldn't feed pasta to a dog with gastric problems as wheat is one of the main allergens.

Dogs have no dietary need for carbohydrates. That's why no minimum nutritional requirements are listed.

But that doesn't mean they don't use carbs, if provided in the diet. Carbs are not just filler - they are a source of energy, vitamins and minerals. The only thing that goes in one end and out the other is the fibre. As long as you are also providing a good quality protein source and the calcium to phosphorus ratio is balanced, I don't see the problem, unless there is a food intolerance.

Sounds very healthy Shazanne but if you're feeding boneless meat in the mix, your dog's probably not getting enough calcium.

It has been suggested on some of the websites I've checked to include bone meal. What is this and where do I get it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

It has been suggested on some of the websites I've checked to include bone meal. What is this and where do I get it?

You could always add chicken portions (thighs, wings, legs) instearof the bonemeal, it'd serve the same purpose

Just give the dog a bone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/supplements_specialty_food/bones_joints/hokamix/129102 if you don't want/can't get real bones.

Advertisement