Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Book Releases that might suit......

Options
  • 14-02-2012 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

I am looking to buy a new book as a present that comes recommended as a good read!

I am thinking of something maybe autobiography/biography or book based on a true story that might suit someone who has career in counselling and education and would have studied psychology.... This person enjoys a good read on other people's perspective of things and also enjoys a good laugh....

Just looking for some good recommendations of new books out or should I stay away from their professional field.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Not really a good laugh, but a really good autobiographical story based on psychoanalysis/therapy is "A Shining Affliction" by Annie G Rogers. It's a bit of both, an autobiography and an exploration of therapy, written beautifully

Sorry just see you were looking for a new book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Jon Ronson's latest? The Psychopath Test, or something like that. New-ish, light read, might be suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

One to consider is Daniel Kahneman's Thinking Fast and Slow. I'm reading it at the moment and enjoying it. It's about the psychology of decision making, and the different ways psychology often skews correct decision making.

I'm a layperson when it comes to psychology, and have found it very accessible. I think would also be of interest to someone who studied psychology, his academic credentials are good (Nobel prize winner), and the studies he talks about are fairly recent, so may not have been well known a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭dots03

I would recommend reading Oliver Sacks. He is a fairly prominent neurologist/psychologist who has written a load of books which are very accessible/readable for the layman reader.

I have read two of his books, 'The man who mistook his wife for a hat' and 'An anthropologist on Mars' and they are educational, compelling, witty and humbling.

Check out 'The man who mistook his wife for a hat' on wikipedia to get a better idea, but for what it's worth he's highly recommended by me ( especially for a former psychology student)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Not new but I'd recommend "Mad, Bad and Dangerous to Know" written by Sir Ranulph Fiennes of his life; it's one heck of a story of going to the extreme and the relationships that develop during such times.

• Advertisement
Advertisement