Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man jailed for eight years for posessing firearm

• 14-02-2012 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭

The same night I hear of the man taken to court for running over his burglar, I also read of the man who got jailed for eight years for gun ownership.

Now can I only hope that this was some Tony Soprano type of guy who the cops have nothing else on and so jailing him for gun ownership is the only way to keep him off the streets. Please tell me this is the case AH-ers. Coz otherwise, questions need to be asked.
    A father-of-two who had a loaded gun under his mattress for his “own protection” has been sentenced to eight years at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court.

Larry Cummins (aged 42) of The Green, Beaumont Woods, pleaded guilty to possession of a Baikal semi-automatic handgun at his home on December 10, 2010. He also pleaded guilty to possession of seven rounds of .32 automatic ammunition at the same address on the same date.

Detective Inspector Patrick Marry told Shane Costello BL, prosecuting, that the gun was found under Cummins’s mattress following a search at his home. He immediately admitted he owned the gun and that it was loaded.

He told gardaí “It’s mine. I got a lend of it. I got it for my protection. It’s loaded.”

He also told gardaí his wife and two daughters “knew nothing” about the gun.

Det Insp Marry told Mr Costello he would not accept that there was a threat on Cummins’s life.

“We investigated whether the alleged threat was true and we have never been informed of any threat and our intelligence tells us there is no threat either,” said Det Insp Marry.

Giollaiosa O Lideadha SC, defending, said Cummins, who has 30 previous convictions, including two for firearms possession, still asserts there are threats against his life and said his cousin was shot several years ago.

“He made immediate admissions to gardaí about concealing the weapon and it is clearly a case that gardaí don’t accept the threat but it’s the only evidence before the court,” said Mr O Lideadha.

Judge Patrick McCartan said Mr Cummins' situation “is all of his own making.”

“He has already served a lengthy term for possession of a firearm yet he has not learned a lesson,” said Judge McCartan.

“His past record leads me to believe he is not under threat. I don’t know what he hopes to achieve or what example he is setting his daughters but one hopes the day will come when he will turn his hand to something different,” he said before suspending the final two years of the term.

He also pleaded guilty to ownership of seven rounds of ammuntition. Surely a bloodbath in the making.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

"... Cummins, who has 30 previous convictions, including two for firearms possession ..."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

syklops wrote: »
    The same night I hear of the man taken to court for running over his burglar, I also read of the man who got jailed for eight years for gun ownership.

Now can I only hope that this was some Tony Soprano type of guy who the cops have nothing else on and so jailing him for gun ownership is the only way to keep him off the streets. Please tell me this is the case AH-ers. Coz otherwise, questions need to be asked.

He also pleaded guilty to ownership of seven rounds of ammuntition. Surely a bloodbath in the making.
    ...what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

He's hardly an innocent joe, he has 30 previous convictions including 2 for previous firearms offences..fcuk him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Once i hear he had 30 convictions i wouldn't care if he got 8 years for stealing a packet of crisps. Into the cell he goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

30 previous, Tony Saprano he may very well be "“He has already served a lengthy term for possession of a firearm yet he has not learned a lesson,” said Judge McCartan."

A semi automatic loaded, plus extra rounds ,30 previous including time inside for previous fire arms, what did you want him to do kill someone first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

He was not licensed to have the firearm and had previous charges relating to firearm offences. Good job courts on this one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Didn't have a license, shouldn't have a gun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,428 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Larry Cummins is a reformed man.

http://www.larrycummins.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

30 previous convictions and this was his third over firearms

Eight years is a lot but he was given a lot of chances already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Buffman

syklops wrote: »
    questions need to be asked.

The only question I'm asking is why did he get ONLY 8 years.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Why did he get only 8 years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

The question I want to ask is who did he think was going to kill him? Touch of paranoia there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Harsh in my view, 8 years is a long time... for a gun.

If he used the feckin thing he probably would have gotten less.

4 years - 25% remission = 3 years tops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Cummins sounds like a real **** name. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Firearm possession = bad enough.
    Firearm possession, + 30 previous convictions including previous firearm possession charges = bad bad bad boy!

The judge did right.

Prob was a bit lenient tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

8 years is a lot for just keeping a loaded gun at home but 1) many previous convictions and 2) the gardai probably didn't raid the house for the craic. There is probably a bigger picture here we're not seeing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

8 years for possessing a gun.

Larry Connors got 3 years for beating and torturing a baby.

The Justice system is ****ed....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

The judge was correct in his actions imo.

The man had 30 previous convictions to his name including two relating to firearms.

What else should the judge have done.....shook his hand and given him a medal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

:rolleyes: He would have been better of going out and getting a job robbing houses, You can earn up to 175 thousand if you run away and get caught by the owner :D;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

He had a list of convictions as long as your arm, and kept an unlicenced, unsecured, loaded, weapon in a house with children. He deserves a prison term, and a smack round the ear hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

policarp wrote: »
    Cummins sounds like a real **** name. . .

Like 'cummins all over your back'?:cool:

Advertisement