Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

manister lake, near croom, co limerick

Options
  • 14-02-2012 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

anyone know anything about this small lake, spotted it on google earth, i typed in manister, and just went a little north and i spotted it.
    any fish there im wondering?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭tonymontana82

never heard of it, il ask a few lads around that area

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭whacker1982

cheers tony

• Registered Users Posts: 32 joeyturbo

the place your on about is called tory hill.. i live down the road from it an been there a few times fishing. caught loads of perch on worms an was also told theres pike in there. its pretty hard to find aswell as you will need to walk across a few fields. seems like a very deep lake aswell so wear some wellys as it gets pretty boggy around it.
    had a photo on my fone, here ya go
    10102010019-1.jpg

i went and visited it, went by the croom side opposite of where the photo was taken, yes a wellies is a must, plenty of fields to go through to get here not easy, had to back turn a few times with no way through the ditch. got there eventually, its very wet there and alot of reed surrounding the lake, nice to here there is some life in there.

just came across another one near rathkeale called doohyle lake, wonder is there any fish in there too

• Advertisement

there is a car park to this place down an country lane. looks a bit dodgy tho haha. must try an fish it again soon for some pike to see if theres any in there. was also told by an old farmer that back in the day, they had pike competitions.

are you going looking at the doohyle lake?? might be worth takeing your rods :D

i heard that too about the lake, an ex's brother used go down there when he was young with his uncle fishing for pike, thats how i found out about it.
    once the weather breaks ill give doohyle a go, it looks to be bigger then the one in manister. ill keep you updated on how things go. tight lines:D

have you tryed louch gur yet by any chance?

joeyturbo wrote: »
    have you tryed louch gur yet by any chance?

Not in two years need a small boat or canoe with the reed. But I have heard its starting to come back to life on the pike side? I know there is perch and dace there. But its pike I'm after. Have you tried it this year?

nar aint tryed it this year yet.. was thinking of going in the next few days tho, fished it last year an had 2 massive rudd on a dry fly. also had a eel aswell on a worm. mad to catch a pike there tho.. there has to be some monsters in there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭tonymontana82

iv only caught the rudd there so far lads, down there alot. are ye sure there is perch there?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 anglerscurse

40 FT DEEP ON THE EDGES WE OFTEN SAW TROUT SPAWN IN THE OUTLET STREAM THAT FLOWS INTO THE MAGIUE RIVER 20FT IN THE CENTER ROACH PERCH AND PIKE AVAILABLE IF THE HAVENT ALL BEEN EATEN 28Ibs HAVE BEEN RECORDED CAUGHT AND REALEASED:D
    anyone know anything about this small lake, spotted it on google earth, i typed in manister, and just went a little north and i spotted it.
    any fish there im wondering?

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

I love fishing small random lakes like above that dont get much attention and nobody knows too much about,takes a bit of work and time but really can pay off :)

very true phesant tail
    I love fishing small random lakes like above that dont get much attention and nobody knows too much about,takes a bit of work and time but really can pay off :)

i have seen pike taking ducklings off the water on that lake that had to be a very large pike.
    nar aint tryed it this year yet.. was thinking of going in the next few days tho, fished it last year an had 2 massive rudd on a dry fly. also had a eel aswell on a worm. mad to catch a pike there tho.. there has to be some monsters in there

40 FT DEEP ON THE EDGES WE OFTEN SAW TROUT SPAWN IN THE OUTLET STREAM THAT FLOWS INTO THE MAGIUE RIVER 20FT IN THE CENTER ROACH PERCH AND PIKE AVAILABLE IF THE HAVENT ALL BEEN EATEN 28Ibs HAVE BEEN RECORDED CAUGHT AND REALEASED:D

must try there more offen as im only back in fedamore. would love to catch a 28pounder :) glad it got released aswell.. bet theres a few big pike in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 donaghm

I live near Lough Gur and have fished the lake near Tara hill a couple of times with Jacks from both to spoons. I friend brought me to the Tara hill lake and had perch their before but there was a fish kill there some year ago and didn't know if they are still there. Competitions used to be held on the Tara hill lake but that was a good few years back.

I Gave up on Lough gur due to being more a Sea angler and the weed is cronic. It is also hammered by those fishing for food. The place is full a Rudd or Roach (I can't tell the difference) and I have heard of fish over 3 lbs caught there

headed down to tara hill lake last week, dunno how ye fished it, we went to the open clear side of the lake and walked it up and down could not find anywhere to fish, now alot of rain fell too in the days before that, but the water was at the field side of the reed in some places we could get to the reed but the drop was too big to fish from the lake side of the reed, had to pack up and head off.

we were looking at the other side looks alot more unacessable but maybe there is a clearing there to fish kind of a pity really cause it looks very well suited for pike to thrive here.

also have to put in a plug for john quain in croom, co limerick who owns the fishing and shooting shop called anglers curse, he has been extremely helpful since the opening of his shop, there would have been alot of evenings i would have went home without a supper if it weren't for his advice and knowledge on the rivers. 0879809919:)

wicked stuff.. the last time i was there a took a slash hook an cut the reed down haha theres a few spots the other side of the lake were u can get into might be full of reeds now tho. halk thinking of heading down soon an giving it ago.. going to give lough gur a fish in the week as the girlfriends little brother wants to go haha.. if i catch anythink ill get some photos.

we achually went to lough gur after the weed there is something terrible, you will need alot of patience and lures to fish there, we did catch a lot of perch on the maggot, only small fellows now but still.
    myself and a friend went out in lough gur on a kayak last year, drifted up the the edge of the reed and right below us was a pike he was def a pound and a half, so there def there seen alot of rises on the dry fly some alot more agressive then others and hearing the occosional gulp, when we went out there it was two foot of clear water and then weed the weed could have went down for ten fifteen feet, i would guess that there is some massive pike in there just cant get a lure in there. heart breaking stuff.:(

• Advertisement

which part did u fish in lough gur?? out near the car park or did u walk around to the other side were the hill is?? is there perch in lough gur?? always tought it was just roach,rudd, pike an eels

which part did u fish in lough gur?? out near the car park or did u walk around to the other side were the hill is?? is there perch in lough gur?? always tought it was just roach,rudd, pike an eels

Sorry it was roache I get the two confused. There is a shoulder on the road on the left just after the graveyard in there but nothing was happening so we went to the car park and walked the left side of the lake there was a picnic area and we fished there. Very small roache there prob 4 inches

ah yeah you should walk around to the hill side an try along there.. was walking the dogs around there a few months ago an seen a big tail splash about 4meters from the shore line.. might be worth a go that side, you can see big rudd/roach floating around the reeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MATTYLAKEBOAT

Hi lads
    Dohoyle lough used to be stocked with brownies and rainbows trout 20 odd years ago natural head of perch and pike may be a club there still
    Matty

wheres that place mate??

Doholyle is just outside Rathkeale also known as the commons lough good fishing back in the day seen it alive with fish on an evening rise
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 6 donaghm

It's down on the map as Dohyle Lough

how i came across it was google earth.

Hi Sorry typo good lake best fished by boat sides can be dodgy only a couple of places to fish other wise,seen pike of over 30lbs taken back in the 80's. taken rainbows and brownies of 3lbs back in the day myself
    Matty

• Advertisement

took the girlfriends 2 small brothers fishing yesterday in lough gur. they both caught 2 roach each on bread.

Advertisement