Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mermaids

• 14-02-2012 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭

Mermaids scare off reservoir workers in Zimbabwe

Work has stopped on new reservoirs in Zimbabwe because builders have been scared off by mermaids.

Water resources minister Samuel Sipepa Nkomo told a parliamentary committee the only way to solve the mermaid problem is to brew traditional beer and get rites carried to appease the spirits after workers were too terrified to go back to the sites.

According to Zimbabwe's state-approved Herald newspaper, he was reported as saying: "All the officers I have sent have vowed not to go back there."

A belief in mermaids and other such creatures is popular in the African country.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/bizarre/mermaids-scare-off-reservoir-workers-in-zimbabwe-539394.html#ixzz1mOcVIOQD
    Possible new approach for Shell to Sea campaign.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Haven't Leprechauns tried to stop Shell in Mayo for ages?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Fairytale stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

A belief in mermaids and other such creatures is popular in the African country.

Explains every drought ever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Well isn't that just the cutest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Mermaids scare off reservoir workers in Zimbabwe

Work has stopped on new reservoirs in Zimbabwe because builders have been scared off by mermaids.

Water resources minister Samuel Sipepa Nkomo told a parliamentary committee the only way to solve the mermaid problem is to brew traditional beer and get rites carried to appease the spirits after workers were too terrified to go back to the sites.

According to Zimbabwe's state-approved Herald newspaper, he was reported as saying: "All the officers I have sent have vowed not to go back there."

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/bizarre/mermaids-scare-off-reservoir-workers-in-zimbabwe-539394.html#ixzz1mOcVIOQD
    Possible new approach for Shell to Sea campaign.

Mermaid sightings are popular all over the world particularly the middle east and africa. A mermiad was aparantly sighted off kerry for a period aparantly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Mermaids, half female half fish. What a beautiful creature!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

but without giving any explanations, the whites too vowed never to go back there.”

http://www.zimeye.org/?p=46616

Something fishy about all this.

Could be a sighting of a manatee. They have been blamed for mermaid sightings historically hence their common name sirens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

steddyeddy wrote: »
    A mermiad was aparantly sighted off kerry for a period aparantly.
    Jackie Healy Ray?

Jackie Healy Ray?

No it was described as having long hair and big t%ts. That sounds more like jackie's dad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Mermaid sightings are popular all over the world particularly the middle east and africa. A mermiad was aparantly sighted off kerry for a period aparantly.

Bloody hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

All the frogs will start singing and the floods will cpome and wash away everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Dr. Manhattan

Interesting wage negotiation tactic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

LOL
    Stupid idiot Zimbabweans

Don't they now mermaids are rydes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Mermaids are sexy as ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Mermaids are sexy as ****

Dunno Teddy, mine always smells a bit like fish or somethin......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Ghandee wrote: »
    Dunno Teddy, mine always smells a bit like fish or somethin......
    You shouldn't taken them out of the water:eek:

There use to be a market for "freak" slaves in ancient Rome. They would take them out as curiosities at parties. They were very valuable, but rare. So they use to make them. One method was getting a baby and placing it is a vase type structure so as it grows the bones would become misshapen, or they would lock them up in dark rooms from infancy so when revealed their skin would lack pigment and they would be almost translucent, most of them died but you get the odd one who survived and you would sell it and it would make the effort worth your while.

But they also made Mermaids by grafting skin from each leg onto the other leg and setting the feet like fins. There are accounts of some of these unfortunates. So the worst historical fate was not always been a eunuch or a slave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

You shouldn't taken them out of the water:eek:

Had to take her somewhere for Valentines day!

You know the craic yourself sure.

I wonder do they have a fishy ***

:p*Eyes crossed* thinking about it.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

If mermaids were a real thing, would you guys really find them attractive? I guess they are mysterious and shy, which always makes an individual more intriguing.

But... give me a woman with two legs any day to be honest.

I've never really been into the tail and fishscales look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Maybe God put the mermaids there?

Edit.

QFT.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Raditub

I'm a mermaid!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Im surprised the pc brigade havnt been all over this.
    How dare we not believe in mermaids , we are going to be voted least likely country to believe in crazy witchdoctory by our european neighbours.
    Im not racist but if I flag down a taxi and a mermaid is driving it , I dont get in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

cloptrop wrote: »
    Im not racist but if I flag down a taxi and a mermaid is driving it , I dont get in it.

Who could?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

cloptrop wrote: »
    Im surprised the pc brigade havnt been all over this.
    How dare we not believe in mermaids , we are going to be voted least likely country to believe in crazy witchdoctory by our european neighbours.

Them mermaids can't distinguish each other either and they believe we white's don't notice them 12 felleas driving the same taxi under ONE licence. They don't think we notice, but we look on them as children playing childish games.

Aboout time it was identified as the mermaid's own fault.

Advertisement